South Park : The Stick of Truth

You guys are hysterical. I've enjoyed south park for over a decade and not paid a cent for it so I'm going to pay the $60 straight up to show my support. I'm positive the value will surpass even $1/hr.

Please do not be one of those people that think television is free. Please don't.

You guys are hysterical. I've enjoyed south park for over a decade and not paid a cent for it so I'm going to pay the $60 straight up to show my support. I'm positive the value will surpass even $1/hr.

Thats how I looked at it, and I've spent just as much money on far worse titles.

For me, the CE of this was kind of a no brainer. It'll use a fraction of my tax return and I really, really want the larger Cartman Wizard King figure for my desk.

I can see it on the other side though too, its a gamble on any game, and not everyone has money to blow.

If I see some wicked sale on it I'll post it here for those who can use it.

I'm in it for the typical South Park humor. I'm the first to admit that even if the gameplay does end up sucking, I'll probably still praise the title as long as it adheres to the show.

Nope, the one in the CE is 6 inches, the ones sold by themselves are just 3 inches.

Yep, and it's going to look awesome on my desk..... that 6 inch figure towering over the 3 inch figures like a Cartman Wizard King God should! :D

I got burned out by South Park humor a few years ago, but this does look pretty decent.

I wouldn't mind spending 60 on this game if they aren't shoving steam down my throat.

Not thrilled about it being Steam myself, but this time I'll make an exception like I did for Bioshock Infinite.

Usually I avoid Steam and Origin like the plague, and if I had more use of the HDTV I'd probably have gotten the PS3 version, but the wife controls the TV 98% of the time so...... :(

No, it's definitely gone downhill. It didn't used to be entirely about "how disgusting can we make this"...it also tended to have relevance to current events with wacky things thrown in.

Admittedly, some of the latest episodes have kind of gone back to that, but overall the later seasons have really not been the same as when the show started.

Essentially, the show has gone too far up its own ass. Family Guy suffers from the same decline.

Holy Crap! FINALLY someone who sees it the way I do. I love the old seasons (have 1-4), but beyond maybe 5, I don't like it anymore. I especially don't like the "who can we make fun of now" sentimentality of the later episodes either... THAT SAID:

The game looks awesome, and will be the first game I've spent $60 on in a long time.

If I buy the physical copy from a brick and mortar shop I don't want your DRM on it.

Sadly, thats the way things are going unfortunately.

When it comes to AAA titles, DRM is here to stay and entrench itself like a bad tooth.

Better Steam though than some other idiocy is how I look at it.

To those who don't enjoy the more recent Southpark seasons, I am with you. My favorite seaons are 2-7. There's still some hilarious episodes in each season but they weren't the quality they once were.

That being said, I think the video game gives Matt an Trey a brand new platform for writing and hilarity. The show, they have 22 minutes to write a silly story and more often then not they just see how ridiculous they can be. With a game, I think they're going to be brilliant. They've had time to script it, they don't have to "find someone to poke fun at" or find a recent event to mock up. I think it's going to be freakin' hilarious and I know the price of entry will be worth it just for the writing alone. If it's a good game to boot? All the better. From the looks of it, the game looks fun as hell.

Sadly, thats the way things are going unfortunately.

When it comes to AAA titles, DRM is here to stay and entrench itself like a bad tooth.

Better Steam though than some other idiocy is how I look at it.

Exactly.

Steam basically got screwed because of the DRM that immediately proceeded it. While It used to be we didn't call it DRM, we called it copy protection. Then one day the industry started calling it DRM, and at about the same time some really truly heinous DRM started coming out, including one that killed your DVD drive permanently when you had a LEGIT copy of the game. And even knowing this the industry kept using that and other DRM that was clearly completely farked despite massive amounts of complaints from gamers. DRM became "EVIL". Pure EVIL. (Never mind that some DRM was much much much worse than others, it was all EVIL).

Then Steam came along. At first it was great, everyone loved it. I can buy games and get instant delivery at home? YEAH! I never need to keep physical disks around again (Believe me, this is huge. I had four 18 gallon totes full of just CD's and manuals. Now I can get most of those games on Steam for a couple dollars and never have to keep track of a CD again!) YEAH!! etc.

However, some people looked at how Steam worked and immediately noticed that "Technically" Steam was DRM, and since DRM was EVIL Steam was therefore EVIL. Some people therefore avoided it like the plague for the last 10 years, and I am sure some are avoiding it still. Never mind that it is as close to GOOD as DRM can get. In fact is probably technically actually GOOD. It is DRM, it is EVIL....

My view on such people.... They are closed-minded. Once any DRM entered that box of evil it all got lumped in there and can never escape again. I just don't get how people can limit themselves, voluntarily, so much. Open that mind folks!

Then Steam came along. At first it was great, everyone loved it. I can buy games and get instant delivery at home? YEAH! I never need to keep physical disks around again (Believe me, this is huge. I had four 18 gallon totes full of just CD's and manuals. Now I can get most of those games on Steam for a couple dollars and never have to keep track of a CD again!) YEAH!! etc.
I like Steam a lot, and have used it since the beginning... but that's not how it happened. The most hate for Steam occurred right when it came out. Not everyone loved it, that's for sure. Some complaints were valid, some were folks who didn't want to abandon the WON servers for playing CS/DoD/TFC, and some was just bitching.

However, some people looked at how Steam worked and immediately noticed that "Technically" Steam was DRM, and since DRM was EVIL Steam was therefore EVIL. Some people therefore avoided it like the plague for the last 10 years, and I am sure some are avoiding it still. Never mind that it is as close to GOOD as DRM can get. In fact is probably technically actually GOOD. It is DRM, it is EVIL....

Nobody liked Steam when it launched. It's far more accepted now.

Exactly.

Steam basically got screwed because of the DRM that immediately proceeded it. While It used to be we didn't call it DRM, we called it copy protection. Then one day the industry started calling it DRM, and at about the same time some really truly heinous DRM started coming out, including one that killed your DVD drive permanently when you had a LEGIT copy of the game. And even knowing this the industry kept using that and other DRM that was clearly completely farked despite massive amounts of complaints from gamers. DRM became "EVIL". Pure EVIL. (Never mind that some DRM was much much much worse than others, it was all EVIL).

My view on such people.... They are closed-minded. Once any DRM entered that box of evil it all got lumped in there and can never escape again. I just don't get how people can limit themselves, voluntarily, so much. Open that mind folks!

I actually used steam since the beginning and I just don't like many things they did / treated customers in the beginning. Also dislike what they did to CS and TF. That's the main reason I've been boycotting them since 2003

Exactly.

Steam is much better than some forms of DRM(Starforce almost killed a $300 cd burner I had) but it's far from perfect and used to be much worse. The main gripe I have with Steam these days is that you don't actually own(a licensed copy of) Steam games since you can't sell or give them away, I believe they did add a sharing feature recently which is a step in the right direction.

For years offline mode never worked for me unless I was online when I put it into offline mode and frequently wanted you to go back online before you could play a game, this basically made Steam an always on form of online DRM. I recently had my internet go out for a few days due to an ice storm and offline mode worked just fine so they have improved that, Uplay on the other hand would launch into an offline mode but wouldn't let me play any of the games I had installed so I am glad that this game isn't using Uplay.

Steam also used to have a bad habit of getting corrupted and sometimes needing a complete reinstall of Windows to get it working again, this was fairly rare but it did happen and was a complete PITA when it did.

Another issue I have with Steam is that it doesn't give you much control over patches, patches often introduce new bugs and can break mods. In the past I've had to use patch downgraders to get a mod working, which can be a pain to find since they usually contain the exe for that version so modding sites won't host them and they get frequent takedown requests on file sharing sites.

Of the major DD services I think that Steam is the best and seems to be getting better instead of worse, I also don't think it's evil but I do think it's bad and I still refuse to pay full price for a game that's tied to Steam.

I do find it humorous that I long for the days of simple CD checks since I hated them back in the day. Perhaps future generations will long for the days of simple retinal scans or cheek swabs to check DNA.

Steam is much better than some forms of DRM(Starforce almost killed a $300 cd burner I had) but it's far from perfect and used to be much worse. The main gripe I have with Steam these days is that you don't actually own(a licensed copy of) Steam games since you can't sell or give them away, I believe they did add a sharing feature recently which is a step in the right direction.

For years offline mode never worked for me unless I was online when I put it into offline mode and frequently wanted you to go back online before you could play a game, this basically made Steam an always on form of online DRM. I recently had my internet go out for a few days due to an ice storm and offline mode worked just fine so they have improved that, Uplay on the other hand would launch into an offline mode but wouldn't let me play any of the games I had installed so I am glad that this game isn't using Uplay.

Steam also used to have a bad habit of getting corrupted and sometimes needing a complete reinstall of Windows to get it working again, this was fairly rare but it did happen and was a complete PITA when it did.

Another issue I have with Steam is that it doesn't give you much control over patches, patches often introduce new bugs and can break mods. In the past I've had to use patch downgraders to get a mod working, which can be a pain to find since they usually contain the exe for that version so modding sites won't host them and they get frequent takedown requests on file sharing sites.

Of the major DD services I think that Steam is the best and seems to be getting better instead of worse, I also don't think it's evil but I do think it's bad and I still refuse to pay full price for a game that's tied to Steam.

I do find it humorous that I long for the days of simple CD checks since I hated them back in the day. Perhaps future generations will long for the days of simple retinal scans or cheek swabs to check DNA.

I think the fact that shit like origin / uplay keep popping up is cause of how people accepted steam after a while and basically circle jerk around it. They are probably hoping that DRM like this will eventually be accepted just like steam and they can get a bit of that market share in the long run.

<tries to steer back OT before it gets locked>

So..... how many plan to play KB/Mouse and how many Gamepadders? :p

I was thinking about getting this because it looks fun. Then I bought Rayman Legends yesterday because there is a weekend Ubisoft sale on Steam...and the fucking thing doesn't work because it crashes at the splash screen thanks to Uplay. The apparent workaround? Go into offline mode on Uplay and then disable your network adapter. Are you fucking kidding me?! I thought this kind of stuff was in the past. The only thing their forum mods do is say "open a ticket with support and send them your dxdiag", but nothing actually happens, and they haven't fixed the problem after months of time.

Not risking my $$$ on any more Ubisoft games.

Last edited:
South PArk doesn't require Uplay, so you don't have to deal with that.

Also plan to play with Kb/M, I mean it's Obsidian who developed it and they are a pc centric developer usually so I think kb/mouse will be fine.

<tries to steer back OT before it gets locked>

So..... how many plan to play KB/Mouse and how many Gamepadders? :p

There are some games I prefer using a controller, and others I like to have a KB/M for. Considering my desktop is also connected to my TV, I'm sure I'll be using a controller while playing this one. I doubt the KB/M controls will be bad enough to have a problem with them (ala Dark Souls), but I'd rather play the game the same way I watch the show - sitting my ass on the couch.

I'm very interested in this game. I'm not a huge South Park fan but I do enjoy watching the show every now and then. I'll do the wait-n-see approach once the player reviews/opinions start coming out as the preorder bonuses are not really tempting me. I'll probably pick this up for 360 as its been collecting dust since I picked up a 3DS XL.

I'm definitely going with a pad on this one. It isn't fast paced or in need of being able to twitch-look, so there should be no trade-off.

I look forward to seeing what M&T replace these censored scenes with, it could be worse, stupid censors.

I'm waiting to see how the game-play actually works on this game first. I'm not big on platformers or side-scrolling type games in general, I generally prefer to only play games in first-person or occasionally third-person if it still has good free-look controls.

As much as I love South-Park and the games they listed as being influences on this game, I just can't imagine how the game-play will actually work and be fun. I will be waiting to see some videos of actual game-play, and then I'll probably be waiting for this to hit the ~$20 range before buying.

As much as I love South-Park and the games they listed as being influences on this game, I just can't imagine how the game-play will actually work and be fun. I will be waiting to see some videos of actual game-play, and then I'll probably be waiting for this to hit the ~$20 range before buying.

There was already a 13 minute gameplay video from the beginning of the game posted earlier in the thread. My guess is that it's mostly just more of the same. It's basically like Paper Mario, as far as I can tell, in both the general gameplay mechanics and the combat system.

I'm waiting to see how the game-play actually works on this game first. I'm not big on platformers or side-scrolling type games in general, I generally prefer to only play games in first-person or occasionally third-person if it still has good free-look controls.

First 13 minutes of the game showing the tutorials and such.

http://youtu.be/tGzOI5ySl3w

Back