SoundBlaster Z-SE vs AE-5 Plus

edo101

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I just got a Soundblaster Z-SE. I was gonna get the AE-5 but got worried about the reviews saying sound is muffled and pepole that have issues with AMD boards. Now I am on an Intel build but in the future I might have AMD, I don't want to have issues.

I ask this question because though I don't have any issues atm with the Z-SE, I am worried about future driver support. The Z-SE is older than the AE-5 so I am not sure how long Creative will support them with future windows releases

My use case: 5.1 Vizio Soundbar M51 series. And a future 2.1 speaker set for RTS games and a Soundcore Q10 headset. I honestly don't see myself investing in a proper gaming headset. I mainly play singleplayer games anyways. Just love 3D sound. Should I need to play wiht headphones, I'd think the Soundcore Q10 would be enough

I got the soundcard in the first place because of DDL and DTS which is crucial for optical connection for surround sound in games.

Should I return the Z-SE and pay 40 bucks more for the AE-5?

I wouldn't. Creative is still selling the z se, I would think you'll have drivers for at least the next 5 years.

It seems silly to me to worry about what might happen years in the future as far as drivers go.

If it's still working good now, I'd continue using it until that is no longer the case. By the time you actually *need* to replace it, there will probably be something even newer out.

I'm still using a bunch of Creative X-Fi cards in many different computers, which are even older than the Z series, and they still work great in Windows 10 and 11. I have no plans to sub them out any time soon.

Creative has already shown a willingness to support their soundcards with drivers for FAR longer than AMD and Nvidia support their videocards, for example, so really Creative is one of the last companies that you should be worried about when it comes to long-term driver support.

I would just stay where you are. They really are not all THAT different in ways that will make a huge difference.

I have the AE-5 and love it. No issues on my AMD setup. But I got it on sale, so it made more sense than the Z series at the time.

I wouldn't. Creative is still selling the z se, I would think you'll have drivers for at least the next 5 years.
It seems silly to me to worry about what might happen years in the future as far as drivers go.

If it's still working good now, I'd continue using it until that is no longer the case. By the time you actually *need* to replace it, there will probably be something even newer out.

I'm still using a bunch of Creative X-Fi cards in many different computers, which are even older than the Z series, and they still work great in Windows 10 and 11. I have no plans to sub them out any time soon.

Creative has already shown a willingness to support their soundcards with drivers for FAR longer than AMD and Nvidia support their videocards, for example, so really Creative is one of the last companies that you should be worried about when it comes to long-term driver support.
I would just stay where you are. They really are not all THAT different in ways that will make a huge difference.

I have the AE-5 and love it. No issues on my AMD setup. But I got it on sale, so it made more sense than the Z series at the time.

And what about possibly buying good headphones for wired connection to play games? travm GotNoRice TrunksZero

And what about possibly buying good headphones for wired connection to play games? travm GotNoRice TrunksZero
You're using wireless headphones? Yikes.

Yes, buy wired headphones. Bluetooth is not good quality sound (not arguing this fact in this thread either).
Even cheap wired headphones would be massively better, and a good match for a quality amplifier(relatively in this case), like the amp on your new Z.

I use steelseries, they are mid-range for sure, but work great.

Last edited:
Totally get more out of that, then a soundcard upgrade. Personally, I'm rocking a pair of Drop/HifiMan HE-5XX's ($220 USD), which are open back headphones. People usually suggest the Drop/sennheiser HD-6XX ($240 USD) over them though... however I wanted something different and really enjoy these. Very open, almost holographic sound stage, with good detail retrieval and accurate sound. Which is great for me in pin pointing those little slappy feet sounds so I can hunt people down and dip people out :D. And these days for my closed backs I'm just using my Sony XB-900N's in wired mode, I hope to replace these so I have an open and closed back pairs of headphones to swap between... just so I can have fun with it :)

Last edited:
Reactions: travm
like this
You're using wireless headphones? Yikes.

Yes, buy wired headphones. Bluetooth is not good quality sound (not arguing this fact in this thread either).
Even cheap wired headphones would be massively better, and a good match for a quality amplifier(relatively in this case), like the amp on your new Z.

I use steelseries, they are mid-range for sure, but work great.
So no need to get the AE-5 for the better headphone amp?

So no need to get the AE-5 for the better headphone amp?
I doubt it's better. It might even be exactly the same hardware.
I tried checking the creative website for stats, and lol.
"Individually amplified channels". You can't amplify two channels with one amplifier, I mean you can, but you have to combine the channels, it doesn't work for stereo. Don't believe anything you read on creatives website.

I doubt it's better. It might even be exactly the same hardware.
I tried checking the creative website for stats, and lol.
"Individually amplified channels". You can't amplify two channels with one amplifier, I mean you can, but you have to combine the channels, it doesn't work for stereo. Don't believe anything you read on creatives website.
I've seen a bunch of people say it was a bit night and day with their headphones. And I've heard others say the sound on the Z was a bit better

I've seen a bunch of people say it was a bit night and day with their headphones. And I've heard others say the sound on the Z was a bit better
They both have discrete amplifiers. With analog sound, everyone's preferences are different.
Compared to onboard sound, either of these cards would be night and day. And yes, wired headphones would be the best sound from either card.
Sound quickly gets into diminishing returns, headphones respond differently with different amps. There's too many variables.

My recommendation remains, keep your Z, enjoy great sound.

They both have discrete amplifiers. With analog sound, everyone's preferences are different.
Compared to onboard sound, either of these cards would be night and day. And yes, wired headphones would be the best sound from either card.
Sound quickly gets into diminishing returns, headphones respond differently with different amps. There's too many variables.

My recommendation remains, keep your Z, enjoy great sound.
I do anticipate I might get a wired headphone in the future. Something like a Seinheisser or a Beyerdynamic. I do wonder if the XAMP will make all the difference in the AE-5

I do anticipate I might get a wired headphone in the future. Something like a Seinheisser or a Beyerdynamic. I do wonder if the XAMP will make all the difference in the AE-5
the Z has a built in high power AMP as well. The marketing jumble from creative is just that. If you're using bluetooth headphones currently, neither card will do anything for you. Get on a wired set-up immediately! Go to your local liquidation store, and buy a cheap headset (or amazon), and use that until you can afford a better set of cans.

The AE-5 will likely sound different to the Z. "Better" would likely be subjective. The dedicated Headphone output and amp on the Z-SE looks perfectly good.

The AE-5 will likely sound different to the Z. "Better" would likely be subjective. The dedicated Headphone output and amp on the Z-SE looks perfectly good.
exactly. Analogue audio is wonky like that. But without a doubt both are miles better than the crappy amps on the onboard sound. Thats why some people say the Z sounds better, others say the AE-5 sounds better. Unless you want to buy both to compare, I would recommend, keep the Z, enjoy your amazing new sound card.

the Z has a built in high power AMP as well. The marketing jumble from creative is just that. If you're using bluetooth headphones currently, neither card will do anything for you. Get on a wired set-up immediately! Go to your local liquidation store, and buy a cheap headset (or amazon), and use that until you can afford a better set of cans.
TrunksZero travm
The guys at Creative reddit seem to think the AE-5 is better for headphones. Not sure how much of it is hype/trying to justify purchases but yeah they swear it's better:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SoundBlasterOfficial/comments/affff1/ae5_compared_to_the_z_and_zx/

https://www.reddit.com/r/SoundBlast...s_it_worth_to_update_from_sound_blaster_z_to/

But then there's a few threads like this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SoundBlast...e5_poor_eq_power_compared_to_sound_blasterzx/

https://www.reddit.com/r/SoundBlast...ded_from_sound_blaster_z_to_ae5_plus_but_the/

I read more people saying the z was better. Maybe equal, idk I didn't read all of each thread.
If you're hell bent on getting the ae5, go for it. I wouldn't, but you may do whatever you like. They are both very decently reviewed upper mid range sound cards, I am sure you'll be satisfied with either one.

I read more people saying the z was better. Maybe equal, idk I didn't read all of each thread.
If you're hell bent on getting the ae5, go for it. I wouldn't, but you may do whatever you like. They are both very decently reviewed upper mid range sound cards, I am sure you'll be satisfied with either one.
Actually am not hellbent. Especially since I'd have to use Amazon's return method which they gave me a warning about. Apparently I return too many items lol

My main concern now is getting the most out of my hypothetical possible future wired headphone like a Sennheiser 650. That's it lol. The fact that apparently headphones are made for the AE-5 instead of the Z. I guess I just dont want to hamper my future headphone (which will be sub 300 bucks btw cause I don't care that much about headphones) with the Soundblaster Z travm

Actually am not hellbent. Especially since I'd have to use Amazon's return method which they gave me a warning about. Apparently I return too many items lol

My main concern now is getting the most out of my hypothetical possible future wired headphone like a Sennheiser 650. That's it lol. The fact that apparently headphones are made for the AE-5 instead of the Z. I guess I just dont want to hamper my future headphone (which will be sub 300 bucks btw cause I don't care that much about headphones) with the Soundblaster Z travm

It's just you would hear more of a difference, and imho get more bang for your buck, by getting better headphones than upgrading to the AE-5. Also if your looking at the HD650's... you should look at the Drop/Sennheiser HD6XX as they are a little cheaper and sound almost the same.

Today I learned sound cards are still made.
lol

Just for examples sake, my last soundcard upgrade I went from an Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium to the AE-5. At the time, my main headphones where Audio-Technica M40FS wired closed back headphones. And honestly... without using any of either cards features(CMSS3D vs SBX for instance etc) you would be hard pressed to hear a difference between the cards in game. And those two cards are WAY farther apart in specs, than your Z-SE and the AE-5.

Headphones are headphones. Wires let you use the high quality analog amplifiers that are on both cards. The differences are mostly in the digital equipment, which is secondary to the analog parts imo. The difference between 24bit and 32 bit won't be massive, and honestly once it's passed through the analog amp its likely imperceptible. I don't have first hand experience with these two cards, but from a technical standpoint and your use case, I don't believe the AE5 offers any benefit at all. More RBG maybe. It also looks flashier.
Headphones are made to be headphones. Amplifiers drive headphones. Both the z and ae5 have amps designed to drive high imp cans. Anyone telling you headphones were made specifically for the ae5 and not the z is either marketing, or lack of understanding.

Last edited:
Headphones are headphones. Wires let you use the high quality analog amplifiers that are on both cards. The differences are mostly in the digital equipment, which is secondary to the analog parts imo. The difference between 24bit and 32 bit won't be massive, and honestly once it's passed through the analog amp its likely imperceptible. I don't have first hand experience with these two cards, but from a technical standpoint and your use case, I don't believe the AE5 offers any benefit at all. More RBG maybe. It also looks flashier.
Headphones are made to be headphones. Amplifiers drive headphones. Both the z and ae5 have amps designed to drive high imp cans. Anyone telling you headphones were made specifically for the ae5 and not the z is either marketing, or lack of understanding.
Haha they say that and also say that it was a night and day difference between the AE-5 and the Z

Just for examples sake, my last soundcard upgrade I went from an Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium to the AE-5. At the time, my main headphones where Audio-Technica M40FS wired closed back headphones. And honestly... without using any of either cards features(CMSS3D vs SBX for instance etc) you would be hard pressed to hear a difference between the cards in game. And those two cards are WAY farther apart in specs, than your Z-SE and the AE-5.
Thanks for that perspective! Yeah I'm not trying to spend more than I need to. Just want to make sure I'm getting best bang for buck and the Z won't limit a HD6XX or Beyerdynamic headphone ~300 budget cans

Frankly, even the higher end stuff, its so much diminishing returns. they ARE better, but the price / performance relationship is not linear. There is almost no new technology they can introduce, so marketing has to convince people to buy their new kit. Creative is really living up to their name on the ae5. I still wouldn't be surprised if both cards had identical amps.

Frankly, even the higher end stuff, its so much diminishing returns. they ARE better, but the price / performance relationship is not linear. There is almost no new technology they can introduce, so marketing has to convince people to buy their new kit. Creative is really living up to their name on the ae5. I still wouldn't be surprised if both cards had identical amps.
You look at the specs? appranrly the AE-5 plus got a better amp somethign they call XAMP?

You look at the specs? appranrly the AE-5 plus got a better amp somethign they call XAMP?
It's not going to matter much. Yes the AE-5 has a better headphone output. However better headphones will provide allot more of bang for buck, than the soundcard upgrade.

It's not going to matter much. Yes the AE-5 has a better headphone output. However better headphones will provide allot more of bang for buck, than the soundcard upgrade.
Sounds good. Tested the 3.5mm jack against games and no issues with static. sound is clean. That was the only other thing I was gonna be worried about. If the AE-5 has better EMI shielding. no hiss or static even when the volume is turned highest

Sounds good. Tested the 3.5mm jack against games and no issues with static. sound is clean. That was the only other thing I was gonna be worried about. If the AE-5 has better EMI shielding. no hiss or static even when the volume is turned highest
EMI shielding is mostly a gimmick too. Its capacitors and filters you need.

I went from a Zx to an AE-5. In my subjective opinion, both headphones and speakers sound better through the AE-5. The Zx always had some muddiness in the midrange that I couldn't get rid of, and some frequencies would clip when playing through speakers. The AE-5 has neither of those issues. The prettier EMI shield is a bonus. I am kind of over the red thing, and a sucker for white parts. I did not install the RGB strip on my AE-5.

I went from a Zx to an AE-5. In my subjective opinion, both headphones and speakers sound better through the AE-5. The Zx always had some muddiness in the midrange that I couldn't get rid of, and some frequencies would clip when playing through speakers. The AE-5 has neither of those issues. The prettier EMI shield is a bonus. I am kind of over the red thing, and a sucker for white parts. I did not install the RGB strip on my AE-5.
What does a frequency clip sound like? And what is muddyness?

What does a frequency clip sound like? And what is muddyness?
Frequency clipping is when specific frequencies come out slightly distorted and not as loud as they should. It sounds like shit. General muddiness is likely just frequency clipping as well. It takes a discerning ear to pick up on sometimes. When it's extreme it sounds terrible.

Back