Sony has formed the ‘PlayStation PC’ label for its PC games push.

Short of a precipitous plunge (which I'm not expecting any time soon) I don't think it's in danger of dying. I just don't think it's going to take the lead like some PC diehards are convinced it will. Consoles and mobile will likely continue to dictate most gaming for a long, long time, and Sony will only port titles once they've had a good "theatrical run" (that is, they've had plenty of time to sell on consoles first).

if anything I see a sharp uptick in mobile gaming that's decent. Consoles are easier to develop for (generally speaking) The catch is that an aging platform is harder to push new graphics for and that can directly impact sales.

the advantage of pc gaming is enormous but Console gaming has it's place. I still wish there were more rigid specifications for pc's to adhere to.

Probably would work just fine on the Xbox but is this problem specific to Forza 5? Who published Forza 5 to PC? If using a Bluetooth headset with Forza 5 a Microsoft Published game on a Microsoft Windows OS then I see this as a Microsoft problem. Why is a Windows service causing issues on a Microsoft game?
No, it's not just Forza. A similar issue happens in Doom Eternal and even old games like Left 4 Dead. It's a problem in Windows that they never fixed.

But it was easy to disable sound devices on Windows 10. On Windows 11 they hid the option (I guess to make it look easier) so you have to manually disable the service.

No, it's not just Forza. A similar issue happens in Doom Eternal and even old games like Left 4 Dead. It's a problem in Windows that they never fixed.

But it was easy to disable sound devices on Windows 10. On Windows 11 they hid the option (I guess to make it look easier) so you have to manually disable the service.
Sadly it’s neither a game issue nor really a windows 10 issue it’s a known Bluetooth bandwidth problem with specific codecs, SBC, AAC, or LDAC. It’s worse when the Bluetooth device has a microphone but what happens is if it encounters any significant latency it will begin downsampling (SCO mode), but when it does this windows registers it as a different audio device (which it technically is) and blam! out goes the audio. There are workarounds for it, as you have seen but it’s primarily a BT driver issue so really it’s on them to implement the device registration.

Last edited:
Do you have the option to play those games on the Switch?

You'd be insane to want to play either on a handheld. The option is worthless.

Valve seems committed to make every game work on the Deck.

By working, you mean running. Valve isn't going to be able to design GUIs for various games they have no control over to work on a tiny screen.

Probably won't come close but hopefully the Deck starts a chain reaction where others will start making handheld portable gaming PCs.

Its a gadget looking for an audience. Tech people will like it and Valve's brand recognition will probably sell it enough to be viable. For everyone else, there are laptops which blow this thing out the water. And if you want a handheld console with games designed around being portable Nintendo has you covered.

Its a gadget looking for an audience. Tech people will like it and Valve's brand recognition will probably sell it enough to be viable. For everyone else, there are laptops which blow this thing out the water. And if you want a handheld console with games designed around being portable Nintendo has you covered.
I agree that I am unsure of who the Deck is geared towards. Even I have a Switch and I rarely use it b/c I don't travel. When I am at home I have a gaming PC, PS5, Series X... other than Breath of the Wild I haven't played any Switch game at home.

That being said The Deck seems too underpowered to me to be a full-fledged gaming PC despite the option of a dock to hook it into an external monitor and KB+M. So it's not powerful to game with at home, but a good alternative to gaming on the go if you have no other games outside of Steam.

You'd be insane to want to play either on a handheld. The option is worthless.
You're dismissing the option because it doesn't meet your standards, yet for anyone who really wants to play their favorite game at least the Deck gives you the option. PC in general gives you that option, while consoles are still working on backwards compatibility. Also, why are there so many anti-PC people here on a forum mostly about PC technology? Do you guys just go around trolling forums, waiting for anyone to post anything pro PC?
By working, you mean running. Valve isn't going to be able to design GUIs for various games they have no control over to work on a tiny screen.
Neither is Nintendo so what's your point? The game creators likely gave up on that game long ago and have moved onto more profitable ventures. So you either pray for a Switch version that costs $60 or maybe the community may have made a mod to play that game on the Deck.
Valve recognizes some problems that they can try and solve with the Deck. One problem they're trying to solve is PC gaming marketing position. The $400 Deck is likely going to be sold at loss or no profit, which is probably why Valve is big onto you not opening the device and messing with the insides, especially the SSD. PC gaming is mostly known for laptops and desktop so this will be the first big commercial push for a competitive product against consoles that isn't overpriced. The Switch is an attractive $300 and anything PC right now is much more expensive than that. The other problem the Deck is meant to solve is Valve's reliance on Windows OS, as it's not a good idea to run your entire business model on your competitors software. This is their second big push for Linux.

Going back to Sony and you can see why Sony may want their foot in the PC door. There are market forces that won't always favor consoles like the PS5. As cheap as the PS5's MSRP, you can't easily find one for anywhere near it's price. Quick search on Amazon shows PS5's selling for well over $1k, meaning that many people probably won't be upgrading from their PS4. Sony is releasing exclusives that PS4 owners can not play because they're not going to pay over $1k to play it. Meanwhile a PC user with an Intel 2600K and a GTX 970 could play the PS5's version of Demon Souls just fine, assuming Sony would ever port that game over. If Sony were to make a portable console then they'd have a lack of games that the Deck and PC gaming would have. Also they'd need finite hardware where as we know the Deck will eventually have an Intel version as well, meaning that performance and pricing can vary in favor of the consumer.

Something like a GTX 1060 is probably going to be the standard for gaming for a while because of the situation with the gaming market right now. Even without a discrete GPU an Intel or AMD APU will do the job just fine for games like Ori and the Will of the Wisps and Cuphead which are both Microsoft made games that will run on pretty much anything with DX11 graphics. PC users can easily hold onto their old hardware and still enjoy modern games while console gamers cannot due to the nature of the console. As Gamers Nexus said in their PS5 vs PC review, the PS5 is basically a 5 year old mid to high end PC from 5 years ago. The GTX 1060 can beat the PS5 in some of their tests. Do you not see a problem here for Sony?

Again, I'm not saying Sony is going to dump their console market in favor of PC but Sony is certainly keeping their feet wet in different markets for many reasons, as they should. Some PC users may never buy a console and therefore it makes no sense not to sell their games to PC. Some console users will never go PCs, so it's not like Sony has a lot to worry about. Some people will stay with Xbox, some very few people. I'm honestly surprised that Nintendo hasn't gone PC with all the piracy that goes on with it. They're clearly losing money to a market that clearly wants their games just not on their hardware.

Last edited:
I have a Switch. Had the original and traded it for a Lite version. I do like it, and definitely played some exclusive games on it. Honestly, it is powerful enough for the screen size, and even games like DOOM ran well.

For me though, I work from home, so I don't travel much, and I have a PS5 and several gaming PCs, so there is not much reason for me to play the Switch. While I love the Steam Deck, I bet I won't play it that much for the same reasons (but I still want one).

But I think there is a big market for the Steam Deck, just look at how popular the Switch is. People love portable gaming, and the Deck is a nice concept to bring the benefits of PC gaming to a portable console. So I think it will sell.

Last edited:
Sadly it’s neither a game issue nor really a windows 10 issue it’s a known Bluetooth bandwidth problem with specific codecs, SBC, AAC, or LDAC. It’s worse when the Bluetooth device has a microphone but what happens is if it encounters any significant latency it will begin downsampling (SCO mode), but when it does this windows registers it as a different audio device (which it technically is) and blam! out goes the audio. There are workarounds for it, as you have seen but it’s primarily a BT driver issue so really it’s on them to implement the device registration.
I understand that. The problem is that a BT headset can work in 2 modes. Either as an audio device or a telephony device. This makes sense on a phone, where you want to use it to make phone calls. But on Windows, I bet, the main use would be as headphones and not to make video calls.

On Windows 10, you could go to the sound settings and switch the device to audio mode easily (or just disable telephony). But on Windows 11 there is no option. The BT audio devices just show up as 1 thing. So you have to go into the old Control Panel, find the BT device, and disable the telephony service.

So this absolutely is an issue with Windows. They could have easily made a button or drop-down in the UI to allow switching between drivers, like was possible on Windows 10, rather than just hiding the option on Windows 11 and making it as confusing as possible.

Last edited:
Windows lock-in matters as much as iOS lock in. Valve's deck proves that can be worked around. You don't exactly see an Android lock in when Microsoft will include an Android layer into Windows 11. I'm sure that's what Microsoft wants but I don't see Valve putting their games onto the Microsoft Store.
This is something of a stretch. Microsoft knows the vast majority of people buying Windows versions of games will play them in Windows. Even Steam Deck users will almost always have a Windows PC. And given that the Android 'layer' in Windows 11 is limited to Amazon Appstore titles, and currently only a handful at that, I don't think you can really call that liberation.

DirectX was created before Xbox was and versions that came afterwards hasn't been great. DX9 was released in 2002 and we were stuck on it until DX11 because DX10 sucked and it was only available on the then terrible Vista. Even still we didn't get DX12 until after Mantle was released, but now we have Vulkan and DX12 is just working against the consumer, much like how Apple's Metal API is working against the consumers best interest. Lets also not forget about Games For Windows Live. Exactly who's best interest was that for?
This is again sidestepping the point — that Microsoft has cared about gaming for ages. Flawed implementations don't necessarily signal a lack of concern. Now, Microsoft's initial Xbox One strategy ("TV TV TV, sports sports sports") you could point to as a problem, but that was arguably the product of Steve Ballmer's obsession with Windows more than anything.

Since Windows 10 and Windows 11 will be free upgrades and you can easily buy a Windows key for $3, I would assume the profits come from telemetry data collection. That and the pop up I get once in a while to remind me to buy Office 365.
Microsoft still makes profits from licenses whenever a PC is sold. But yes, it's shifting its attention more toward services these days. Hence the full-court press on things like Xbox Game Pass.

Yea, who would play 10 year old games today amiright? Oh wait...
Demon's Souls is at least a remaster. We're talking about games that haven't been updated in years, and likely never will. You can't point to the entire Steam library as an advantage, because many (if not most) of those games really aren't suited to a handheld.

Double clicking on that icon to play a game sure is hard.
Like I said earlier, this is grossly oversimplifying what's involved. PC gaming isn't mind-numbingly difficult, but consoles are easier — there's just no questioning that.

You do know what the Nintendo Switch uses for voice chat right? I don't think pulling out a phone to talk to people in a game is easy.
This is one of those areas where I have to concede... yeah, Switch voice chat is usually quite clunky. I was thinking more of PlayStation/Xbox voice chat.

If a desktop is considered complex to you in 2021 then I have bad news for you. I agree with a simplified UI for the Deck since that's the Deck's primary function, which is to play games. Do the same thing for Windows 11 then we have problems.
It's more complex, that's the point. And it's not just about making games accessible to a wider range of people, it's about streamlining the experience. Many people don't want to deal with a desktop OS, hardware drivers or multiple game portals; they just want to plunk themselves on the couch and start playing within seconds. The Steam Deck certainly gets closer to that, but even a flawless execution would just bring it to where the PlayStation/Switch/Xbox already are.

Not really, only in so much as you are grossly overstating your position.

I just setup a new system and it is so easy now. Insert windows install media (usb) windows installs and sets up in 30ish minutes, with 90% of the drivers installed and ready to go. Download latest flavour of gpu driver, it auto installs. download game through prefered platform and go.

Sure you have to download a few things, but really there is no other setup. If you complain about account generation well you have to generate an account on consoles as well.

90% of games have their own voice chat, so if you really are such a luddite that you cannot navigate discord, you can use in game voice no problem. You also have the option of various chat tools tied to platform like steam, origin, and battlenet.

Consoles are like this: plug in hardware, setup internet if required, install updates, install game, start game. Hope you rarely need to use text chat functions.

really the number of steps are very close, the main difference is level of control on a pc (even when compared to Apple) and UI.
As I mentioned earlier, I don't think PC gaming is horribly difficult; I certainly didn't mean to suggest as such. But it is more complex than console gaming, and a lot of PC diehards don't seem to realize how important that distinction is. There are no instances where you're troubleshooting driver issues, wrangling with third-party clients or wondering whether background processes and OS updates (see Windows 11's initial Ryzen performance problem) will sour your game. Hell, modern consoles even install game patches on standby. More often than not, all you do is wake your console and launch your game. That's huge when you're wiped after work, trying to squeak in gaming after putting the kids to bed, or if you just want a break from computers.

You do have a point on voice chat, but it is simpler on PlayStation and Xbox. With that said... is text chat really a plus for some games? Not that voice chat is immune to problems, but I really don't need a text stream of kids spamming racist/sexist/homophobic slurs or "gg ez."

As I mentioned earlier, I don't think PC gaming is horribly difficult; I certainly didn't mean to suggest as such. But it is more complex than console gaming, and a lot of PC diehards don't seem to realize how important that distinction is. There are no instances where you're troubleshooting driver issues, wrangling with third-party clients or wondering whether background processes and OS updates (see Windows 11's initial Ryzen performance problem) will sour your game. Hell, modern consoles even install game patches on standby. More often than not, all you do is wake your console and launch your game. That's huge when you're wiped after work, trying to squeak in gaming after putting the kids to bed, or if you just want a break from computers.

You do have a point on voice chat, but it is simpler on PlayStation and Xbox. With that said... is text chat really a plus for some games? Not that voice chat is immune to problems, but I really don't need a text stream of kids spamming racist/sexist/homophobic slurs or "gg ez."
Text chat is by far the easiest way to setup a group of gamers, beep 'hey want to play xyz?' its annoying without a keyboard as someone always starts a little text chat response.

I wonder how much PC you use compared to mac. My home PC is automatically updated, and most of my games as well, heck I can't remember the last time I had to wait for anything on my PC. My laptop thats used once every 3/4 months takes forever, but so does my PS4 thats only used 3 times a year for an exclusive.

Literally your main arguement has more to do with how often you use it, not if its a console or PC.

I even purposfully made the PC setup harder, because your only really installing an OS if you've built your own Pc, otherwise the store does it and all the drivers for you.

I have a Switch. Had the original and traded it for a Lite version. I do like it, and definitely played some exclusive games on it. Honestly, it is powerful enough for the screen size, and even games like DOOM ran well.

For me though, I work from home, so I don't travel much, and I have a PS5 and several gaming PCs, so there is not much reason for me to play the Switch. While I love the Steam Deck, I bet I won't play it that much for the same reasons (but I still want one).

But I think there is a big market for the Steam Deck, just look at how popular the Switch is. People love portable gaming, and the Deck is a nice concept to bring the benefits of PC gaming to a portable console. So I think it will sell.

I am curious about something... you had the original Switch which plugged into a dock and thus into your TV. You say you don't travel much and play mostly at home... so I have to ask why didn't you keep your original Switch so you can sit and play it on your TV since you game at home mostly anyway? Has to be better than playing Zelda for hours in handheld mode on the Switch Lite.

I am curious about something... you had the original Switch which plugged into a dock and thus into your TV. You say you don't travel much and play mostly at home... so I have to ask why didn't you keep your original Switch so you can sit and play it on your TV since you game at home mostly anyway? Has to be better than playing Zelda for hours in handheld mode on the Switch Lite.
Maybe he likes to play on the toilet or something.

Maybe he likes to play on the toilet or something.
...which you can do on the original Switch as well. I know because I do the same thing on my original Switch. :ROFLMAO: That's why I am confused if you primarily game at home why you would give up the OPTION of docking the console.

...which you can do on the original Switch as well. I know because I do the same thing on my original Switch. :ROFLMAO: That's why I am confused if you primarily game at home why you would give up the OPTION of docking the console.
I don't know, maybe it was gimped via damage or something.

Because I also had a PS4 at the time (now a PS5) and I'd rather play on that. And not have a million things plugged in. The PlayStation can play games, stream video, play Blu-Ray, etc. which the Switch can't do.

Back