[Somewhat Alive] MEGASALE: JBL Studio Series Home Audio Speakers (590, 580, 570, 530, 520c, 550p Subwoofer)

These speakers are amazing and at the current price they are true steal..you CANNOT do any better.
Agreed. Ordered a pair of 590s to replace my 580 LR channels. I may replace my current center (klipsch 504c) with one of the 580s, but I'm hesitant as I would have to lay the 580 down horizontally.

Agreed. Ordered a pair of 590s to replace my 580 LR channels. I may replace my current center (klipsch 504c) with one of the 580s, but I'm hesitant as I would have to lay the 580 down horizontally.
Yeah I did a 10 center speakers test looking for a good match for the 590s.
I wouldnt use the 580 horizontally as their vertical dispersion (which becomes horizontal dispersion when placed horizontally) is too limited for my taste one a center speaker.

Yeah I did a 10 center speakers test looking for a good match for the 590s.
I wouldnt use the 580 horizontally as their vertical dispersion (which becomes horizontal dispersion when placed horizontally) is too limited for my taste one a center speaker.
Good to know. Ill stick with the 504C until I can find a better match. I was not impressed with the JBL 520C, its the only speaker from the 5 Studio series that I have not been impressed with.

Last edited:
I got lucky a few years ago and snagged a JBL LS Center for $199 shipped of Amazon from a Authorized Reseller clearing inventory out. Unlike they 520C, the LS Center it is definitely NOT underwhelming lol
What an interesting option. I didn't even know that one existed.
Makes me wonder why, if jbl already had done 3way centers like the LS, they keep making so many 2-way and 2.5 ways with "crippled" horizontal dispersion. :/

Pricing is why IMO. Those LS aren't cheap without catching a great deal. I should have got the LS80 towers as well, but just didn't have the funds. So I'm still rocking my Studio S312II towers I got for $135 each years ago :)

You only need enough power based on your setup ie room size, desired spl to your listening seats etc. Everything else is just epenis . With that said...I have 7x200w 😂👍

Yep, I don't think people realize how little power they are using to drive their speakers. Especially, when using separate subs. Of course if you have crappy inefficient speakers full of marketing then that's a bit more power needed. And JBL has almost always been really efficient with their higher end speakers.

You only need enough power based on your setup ie room size, desired spl to your listening seats etc. Everything else is just epenis . With that said...I have 7x200w 😂👍
Hence my original question. What are you powering them with?

Yep, I don't think people realize how little power they are using to drive their speakers. Especially, when using separate subs. Of course if you have crappy inefficient speakers full of marketing then that's a bit more power needed. And JBL has almost always been really efficient with their higher end speakers.
We realize it - but people don't generally buy 250watt RMS speakers for an 85 to 125 watt per channel AV as the majority of AV's are. It's clearly overkill and a half. But for the current deal/pricing, I suppose it's a no brainer to pick up regardless of the AV you have.

Efficient speakers are great to have. But let's not pretend efficient speakers are hard to come by. It's practically one of the main selling points for new speakers these days.

Last edited:
I do!... because I know what they are capable of, but I also will only buy them when on sale/clearance. But also make sure I have an AV that is capable of sustaining the power needed to make them sing properly when called for.

And yes, these 590s are a steal at this price. Wish I could grab a set but...well...life lol. Also wish I grabbed a set of L890s back when they were clearing those out as well.

what amps are you all using for those 590s? 250watt RMS is crazy.

I use them in my 2-channel music system where I power them with one of my 4 Yamaha P2200/P2201 amps. Those amps are rated for ~230w into 8 ohms. At 6 ohms (these are 6 ohm speakers) it should be good for over 300w.

"efficient" is relative. I would consider speakers closer to 100dB sensitivity (mainly horn-loaded speakers) to be efficient. The 590 is only 92dB efficient, which is not much different than my old classic 3-way JBL L100T (91dB). The 590 gets a little efficiency boost from the waveguide up top, but a modern waveguide does not increase efficiency as much as a traditional horn does. Having to rely on the dual 8" woofers for the low end probably brings down the efficiency also. The 590s can handle a fair bit of power when listening loud.

590_Rack.jpg P2200_Poweroutput_Stereo.png

In
I use them in my 2-channel music system where I power them with one of my 4 Yamaha P2200/P2201 amps. Those amps are rated for ~230w into 8 ohms. At 6 ohms (these are 6 ohm speakers) it should be good for over 300w.

"efficient" is relative. I would consider speakers closer to 100dB sensitivity (mainly horn-loaded speakers) to be efficient. The 590 is only 92dB efficient, which is not much different than my old classic 3-way JBL L100T (91dB). The 590 gets a little efficiency boost from the waveguide up top, but a modern waveguide does not increase efficiency as much as a traditional horn does. Having to rely on the dual 8" woofers for the low end probably brings down the efficiency also. The 590s can handle a fair bit of power when listening loud.

View attachment 512394 View attachment 512395
indeed "efficient" is relative although I did say "pretty efficient'
I consider anything over 90db pretty efficient.

Exactly. I can get the cops called on me with less than 10 watts.

Some of us are lucky enough to actually have distance between our house and our neighbors.
And some of us don't care because the neighbors are A-Holes and should be thanking me for entertaining them for free with my music and movies lol

The 580s and 590s are on sale again. If anyone happens to be waiting. The 530s currently are not, making them seem absurdly priced when the 590s are priced the same.

I notice that the 590s are not discounted as low as they have been in the past. The 580s are at $299 each though which is a very great deal.

How do these compare to say the Klipsch RP8000s? Just got myself a set of the 8ks at Christmas and am in love. But looking for another tower set to possibly put in my bedroom.

Love my 530’s. They are on stands so might as well have gotten the 580s. The 590 are huge!

picked up the 580s a couple months ago, very happy with them. Feels like better than the movie theatre.
Just grabbed the 550p sub even though I had my eye on a Jamo (a rebrand klipsh I think). The 550p matches aesthetically and gets good reviews so hopefully its as high quality as the rest.

Just grabbed the 550p sub even though I had my eye on a Jamo (a rebrand klipsh I think). The 550p matches aesthetically and gets good reviews so hopefully its as high quality as the rest.

It's a decent sub, it just depends on how loud you listen, and what your expectations are when it comes to bass. A sealed subwoofer with a small 10" woofer is not going to give you a lot of output. Ported enclosures increase the efficiency and output, and obviously a larger subwoofer driver increases output also. About the only good thing you get from a sealed subwoofer is that it rolls off (how fast output drops off as frequency decreases) more slowly. A ported subwoofer rolls off quickly below the resonant frequency of the cabinet. A sealed cabinet doesn't have a resonant frequency in the same sense, so it rolls off gradually. With extra amp power and EQ you can extend the low-end response, but not by much with a tiny 10" woofer.

This is slightly cheaper and I guarantee would give you much more output: https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-1200-12-120-Watt-Powered-Subwoofer-300-629?quantity=1

It's a decent sub, it just depends on how loud you listen, and what your expectations are when it comes to bass. A sealed subwoofer with a small 10" woofer is not going to give you a lot of output. Ported enclosures increase the efficiency and output, and obviously a larger subwoofer driver increases output also. About the only good thing you get from a sealed subwoofer is that it rolls off (how fast output drops off as frequency decreases) more slowly. A ported subwoofer rolls off quickly below the resonant frequency of the cabinet. A sealed cabinet doesn't have a resonant frequency in the same sense, so it rolls off gradually. With extra amp power and EQ you can extend the low-end response, but not by much with a tiny 10" woofer.

I bought this one a few years ago (was 299 at the time) and I was blown away by how powerful and good it sounds. Granted I don't have anything really high end to compare it to but damn, to me it sounds great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074131NKS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

I bought this one a few years ago (was 299 at the time) and I was blown away by how powerful and good it sounds. Granted I don't have anything really high end to compare it to but damn, to me it sounds great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074131NKS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yeah not sure what his expectations for bass are but I would pass on that sub. I would rather try finding a local used HSU for example. I scored a HSU 15" for $250 (super lucky) before moving to my current end game beasts

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My philosophy is buy once, and buy completely, exactly what you want at the time and stop researching once you're done buying so that you never have reason to regret the purchase until 10 or 20+ years down the road when they lose their functionality or are grossly out-spec'd. I do this with just about everything. If I can't afford what I want, I go without as long as necessary until I get what I want, unless it's a necessity. That philosophy has worked for me for a long time. My main two speakers are now 25 and a half years old and still sound amazing and test well. I paid for them once and although it was a stretch at the time, they've more than paid for themselves, figuratively with my enjoyment, and many many times literally by doing DJ jobs with them. Someday I'll spend a small amount on service such as refoaming, but otherwise, they're what I love for decades past and decades future. With this philosophy, it's rare that you'll have to replace almost anything - furniture, tools, housewares, pickup trucks, etc. It saves a lot of money that would otherwise be spent on replacements in the long run, and you get to live with good stuff.
Damn good philosophy! Thank you for sharing!

View attachment 512394 View attachment 512395
I don't know why, but this room with the speakers reminds me of the first scene of Back to the Future. :D

I don't know why, but this room with the speakers reminds me of the first scene of Back to the Future. :D

What's the point of having a hobby if you can't do it [H]ard, right? I've definitely had plenty of chances to push the 590s to their limits and they are not fragile speakers.

This is slightly cheaper and I guarantee would give you much more output: https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-1200-12-120-Watt-Powered-Subwoofer-300-629?quantity=1
thanks for the input. I dont crank it too much, mostly looking for movie fidelity although I do some music on there too. Room isnt giant either. Will actually be my first sub - finally live in a stand alone house with no shared walls.

Back