So which KB/M gaming-oriented software is actually good these days?

TheGardenTool

2[H]4U
I've had enough issues with G-Hub and know there's another long thread about it so won't hash it out here. Also have issues every time I try to order new key caps for my G810 they are out of stock. So I think I'd rather spend that money toward moving away from Logitech G products. With that said it begs the question, how are the other competing companies KB/M software these days?

Outside of LGS/G-Hub, I only have experience with Steelseries Engine and Razer Synapse. Engine was more recent a few years ago, but also only used it for a mouse. Synapse was geez probably close to 10-15 years ago and had major complaints of both the hardware and software. So I'd have to see glowing recent reviews of both to probably consider Razer stuff again.

Just to give a starting point I did some window shopping of Steelseries and HyperX so far. Hardware wise I think I can find what I was looking for from either. Just not seeing too much so far about the HyperX software, NGenuity. And with every other company and their moms selling keyboards and mice these days, it's a lot to go digging around trying to find comments on the software side of these. If I could live with simple 1 color on-off backlighting or not setting up multiple DPI mouse points on this system I'd definitely go a different direction without the need of software.

I use a Steelseries Apex Pro TKL and Razer Viper mouse and never had a problem with either software utility. I like my keyboard and mouse on static white, so maybe this simple lighting scheme is the reason for my good luck.

If you prefer not dealing with any software, Ducky keyboards are an excellent option.

552614_PXL_20211211_002057240.jpg

Last edited:
I had an ASUS mouse once and while I unfortunately hated the mouse, the software was actually really slick and didn't ever cause me any issues. As odd as that is to believe.

I've had razer gaming mice in the past and always find myself coming back to Logitech. I usually use the Logitech software to do the initial config and them uninstall it.

I did end up getting a Steelseries Apex Pro TKL once I finally saw they were back in stock. The bummer is it seems Steelseries has sometime recently decided to bloat the software up. It's now Steelseries GG and Steelseries Engine is part of it. I haven't tried to see if I can get just Steelseries Engine any longer. I like the keyboard so far and the adjustable on the fly actuation points was the selling point, but the damn software including things that is replicated by several other bloated software is kind of lame.

I use ducky or zowie stuff, no software. Have a das KB that does not use software either.

mouseacceleration.com for seriously good config software for tweaking mouse speed in every possible way.

Man, I hate ghub. I'm sticking to older hardware that supports Logitech Gaming Software, cause it just works so well. Sad to see that GHub is such a huge steaming turd, as I want to get a g502 lightspeed, only that it isn't compatible with LGS. Using a g502, and a G903 Lightspeed (which works with LGS). Got a spare g502 and G903 that are new in box, just got to make sure not to update the firmware on them. If anyone knows any alternative mice that have features similar to LGS, please let me know. Eyeing a Razer Basilisk Hyperspeed atm, as it has a similar shape to the G502...But alas, haven't used razer stuck in a decade, not sure how their software compares, where I need automatic app switching profiles for my mice buttons.

Man, I hate ghub. I'm sticking to older hardware that supports Logitech Gaming Software, cause it just works so well. Sad to see that GHub is such a huge steaming turd, as I want to get a g502 lightspeed, only that it isn't compatible with LGS. Using a g502, and a G903 Lightspeed (which works with LGS). Got a spare g502 and G903 that are new in box, just got to make sure not to update the firmware on them. If anyone knows any alternative mice that have features similar to LGS, please let me know. Eyeing a Razer Basilisk Hyperspeed atm, as it has a similar shape to the G502...But alas, haven't used razer stuck in a decade, not sure how their software compares, where I need automatic app switching profiles for my mice buttons.

install ghub, setup mouse, save to mouse's on-board memory, uninstall ghub.

I did the same thing for a long time. Unfortunately, LGS it doesn't work with my G502 Lightspeed mouse.

When you save the profile, I believe that's just for basic mice settings and what not? Where I think app detection + hotkey profiles would be software driven, hence require LGS/Ghub/etc.

Unless I'm mistaken. Don't see how a mouse without any software would be able to sense which application is foreground, and switch profiles, that would indeed be magic...lol.

When you save the profile, I believe that's just for basic mice settings and what not? Where I think app detection + hotkey profiles would be software driven, hence require LGS/Ghub/etc.

Unless I'm mistaken. Don't see how a mouse without any software would be able to sense which application is foreground, and switch profiles, that would indeed be magic...lol.

Yeah you can't do that without the software. I don't think there is really any motivation for anyone to make an app besides the mouse makers themselves, maybe an open source thing could happen though.

Yeah you can't do that without the software. I don't think there is really any motivation for anyone to make an app besides the mouse makers themselves, maybe an open source thing could happen though.

I wish, would be great to rid the software dependency factor in my mouse/keyboard selection. It's the only thing holding me back from switching to a different mouse. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to switch from my G502, I love the feel/grip. Wireless would be a nice touch, hence G502 lightspeed, but that would mean losing out on my app detection profiles of LGS, where I use the extra buttons for speed ups in workflow. Guess I'll still be here using my G502 till Logitech brings back their LGS, but by that time, pigs would be flying =P.

I just picked up a Coolermaster SGK6020 at a garage sale for $7. I didn't realize what it was as I was just buying a spare keyboard to use in the lab at work. I looked it up, downloaded the software, and was quite surprised at how much you could do with it.

It's so subject, it really depends on your needs. Personally, I dislike every Cherry MX keyboard that whole of the keyboard community raves about. I have an old cheap Dell keyboard I prefer. Same with mice, it depends on how you hold it, how big your hands are, what shape you prefer to hold, what buttons you need. There are a ton of reviews on youtube so that's where I'd suggest you start. Anything over $30 likely has a good sensor so you're mostly paying for features or a unique shape above that price.

Back