IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
Just bought a trashcan.

What to do with it?

• INTEL XEON E5 3.5Ghz 6-CORE CPU PROCESSOR
  • 2x AMD FIREPRO D500 GRAPHICS CARD
  • 64GB DDR3 MEMORY
  • 256GB APPLE SOLID STATE DRIVE

Nt sure on the question. It's a computer. Use it, mate? Do you need troubleshooting help to turn it on or open the lid?
F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2F8248HZtuQS8%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg

The problem with the 2013s is the limitations on internal components. And that really to continue using one today, you more or less have to get an egpu.

That said, you can upgrade the processor to a 12 core. Move to 128gb of RAM, stick in 1tb+ of flash storage and get a Radeon VII in an egpu and the system will fly. Well, as well as a 7 year old machine can fly anyway with the limitation of TB2.

The problem with the 2013s is the limitations on internal components. And that really to continue using one today, you more or less have to get an egpu.

That said, you can upgrade the processor to a 12 core. Move to 128gb of RAM, stick in 1tb+ of flash storage and get a Radeon VII in an egpu and the system will fly. Well, as well as a 7 year old machine can fly anyway with the limitation of TB2.
That is really too much investment into a trash can.

Ia even more confused, are these servers?
Weren't these computers? Why are they in a serger rack mounting hardware? Why are they in pairs? Do they connect like sli or whatnot?

Recycling bins for plastic nd metal?

They just took the desktop and made a rack mount case for it. I don't think they are tied together at all. Probably just two independent servers.

These are still pretty expensive, way more than what they should cost given the performance. That said though I have to admit that I am keeping an eye out for a reasonably priced one. Its a cool bit of tech and can still pack a decent punch.

Not really... just got it for $20 ;)
Part it out then do a wicked case mod once hardware returns to less insane prices after the rothschild bitcoin pump and dump round 4 crashes.

While the current Mac Pro is clearly better for the intended role, I can't help but like the design — I just think it would have been better-suited as a consumer machine with Intel Core chips and everyday Radeon GPUs. Like a reincarnation of the G4 Cube.

While the current Mac Pro is clearly better for the intended role, I can't help but like the design — I just think it would have been better-suited as a consumer machine with Intel Core chips and everyday Radeon GPUs. Like a reincarnation of the G4 Cube.

You can build a SFF box with a single GPU at about the same physical size. Not quite the power these Mac Pros had back in the day, but not too far off either, and good for most use cases one would want to run locally rather than in the cloud anyway.

we've also got one sitting in the corner of the office while we try to figure out what to do with it. probably will end up with Kali on it one day as the linux guy is closest to it...

we've also got one sitting in the corner of the office while we try to figure out what to do with it. probably will end up with Kali on it one day as the linux guy is closest to it...
If you’d be up to selling it for cheap, I’d gladly take it off your hands.

ended up making my own dual boot BS/W10, without bootcamp, and it runs great! using it for testing now.

Trashcan Mac is cool like the Lucite G4 cube was cool. I would love to get my hands on a cheap one.

Back