So FE != Reference PCB this time around, eh?

Very curious to see that EKWB's reference design waterblocks won't fit FE cards. I kinda wonder if this is because of the double sided RAM. Makes me think FE blocks will be rare or not exist.

Does anyone have any insight into which AIB partners will be using the reference PCB?

Just based on what we've seen so far? None. Every single AIB that I've seen so far the card uses a traditional cooler and non of them seem to use the same through PCB cooling. Sure one or two of them have something similar or smaller PCB holes, but it's nothing like the actual Founder's card. Frankly, it's pretty puzzling. These cards may well be quite different from each other in temp and performance. The PCBs are just massively different.

I would think the first dead giveaway that a Founder's PCB is being used would be the 12 pin vertical power connector. And I have not seen one yet on an AIB.

I think there is some confusion, from what i've seen, all the AIB's areusing the reference design which is different from the FE design.

I think there is some confusion, from what i've seen, all the AIB's areusing the reference design which is different from the FE design.
Poking around in EK's configurator, none of the 3000 series blocks list any cards as compatible. If I go the other way and start with cards, EK lists the Founder's Edition and the Asus TUF Gaming model, but no waterblocks for either, only "Coming Soon."

EK has confirmed that their water blocks for the 3090 and 3080 will support 'reference' boards and the Founders cards from Nvidia are NOT the reference boards this time.

Snipped from an announcement :

"EKWB's water blocks are specifically built for the reference boards, and it highlights that the Founder's Edition cards don't have reference boards. That's no surprise, as Nvidia built a wild new flow-through cooler for its FE cards, which required a total board redesign. The reference boards feature a more traditional design. "

Alphacool is supposedly working on a block for the Founders cards but I couldn't find much on that and I imagine it will be complex by comparison and spendy. BUT maybe it will be smaller overall and open up some SFF options.

Oofta. Might be easier to wait for a AIB with block already on it...
I don't mind doing AIB this round if it gets me block compatibility, but I'll be damned before I buy another pre-blocked card. Had a Gigabyte 1080 Waterforce in my system when a batch of Vue fell out and clogged my blocks, and discovered there was no way to disassemble the block for cleaning without prying free a paper-thin, glued on aluminum fascia to uncover the screws. Every Gigabyte design I've seen pictured since is the same way.

I don't mind doing AIB this round if it gets me block compatibility, but I'll be damned before I buy another pre-blocked card. Had a Gigabyte 1080 Waterforce in my system when a batch of Vue fell out and clogged my blocks, and discovered there was no way to disassemble the block for cleaning without prying free a paper-thin, glued on aluminum fascia to uncover the screws. Every Gigabyte design I've seen pictured since is the same way.

That I didn't know. Wonder if Evga is better?

It’s annoying as fuck. NVidia is by far my most likely source logistically but it doesn’t look like I can get a Waterblock, which makes the thing pointless

Oofta. Might be easier to wait for a AIB with block already on it...

This. I've my eyes firmly set on the EVGA 3090 Hydro Copper.

View attachment 3090_HC.webp

Despite it being fkn horrible to look at. :eek:
I don't like the idea of paying for such a massive heatsink I know I won't use, however, more often than not, pre-blocked cards are usually just as expensive as a reference whatever + 3rd party block.

Will have to wait and see...

View attachment 277165

I don't like the idea of paying for such a massive heatsink I know I won't use, however, more often than not, pre-blocked cards are usually just as expensive as a reference whatever + 3rd party block.

I don't do the vertical mounts, so I don't mind the looks - as long as it works well and is easy to maintain. :)

Nothing new.
We wait for reviews citing gpu particulars, then we go hunt for block reviews hopefully with some similar factory blocked gpu designs vs aftermarket.

Then we find out who cut and pasted without testing, who said "good enough" tape it out, and which are the top 3 blocks with excruciating attention to detail.

Then a bunch of us go buy Byski or Phanteks on sale bc they're cheap.

View attachment 277165

Yeah, that does look fucking hideous. I don't mind RGB in general, but that just looks like they phoned in the whole design in order to shoehorn the RGB in.

I wish EVGA would step back a couple generations on their aesthetics:

Attachments

• 11G-P4-6599-RX_LG_1.webp
    39.4 KB · Views: 0
Back