So can't afford a brand new card. 2080TI for $350 reasonable?

do you honestly think they are having the same issues 17+ years later? if you want to discuss further, start a thread or find one of the other driver threads in the amd section....
I had an x1800xt and it was awesome at the time haha.

I just looked some of those up and they are in the $550 range. At least on ebay
There's a lot of used cards in the market nowadays depending where you are - of ppl selling cards from last gen - the 3080 12gb, 6700 xt, are two cards that are better than the 2080 Ti - afaik....
Sell the 1080 Ti - and save a bit more for a used 3080 12gb would be my suggestion.

Last edited:
6700XT isn't better than the 2080ti. It's 10% slower on average. 2080ti also has great OC/UV potential and if you have Samsung memory you can easily OC 15% for 700GB/s bandwidth.
RT performance is on next level, and DLSS2 looks significantly better than the FSR2.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/94063343

This is my MSI Gaming X Trio.
I bought this card used year ago for $400
[email protected]
+1000 memory oc (704 GB/s bandwidth)

15830 Time spy GPU score, or 15200 with [email protected] for very efficient profile, and 220-230W

This is RX 6800 level of performance.

Last edited:
6700XT isn't better than the 2080ti. It's 10% slower on average. 2080ti also has great OC/UV potential and if you have Samsung memory you can easily OC 15% for 700GB/s bandwidth.
RT performance is on next level, and DLSS2 looks significantly better than the FSR2.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/94063343

This is my MSI Gaming X Trio.
I bought this card used year ago for $400
[email protected]
+1000 memory oc (704 GB/s bandwidth)

15830 Time spy GPU score, or 15200 with [email protected] for very efficient profile, and 220-230W

This is RX 6800 level of performance.
oc's are not guaranteed. try comparing stock to stock.

My 2080ti has been one of my favorite GPUs of all time. At 3440x1440 it is starting to show it's age but it still runs pretty much everything above 60fps at max settings and it does ok in 'most' games with RT on (and DLSS obviously). If I were in the market today I wouldn't get one though unless it were supremely cheap; as in under $300. At this point I'd probably snag a 4070 or wait for a 7700XTX if I couldn't (or didn't want to) stretch for a 7900/4080.

I think it's too expensive at $350. If you're buying used anyway, why not look at an RX 6800 or 3070Ti?

I think it's too expensive at $350. If you're buying used anyway, why not look at an RX 6800 or 3070Ti?
You can find 2080ti for $300-320.
6800 is good option if someone doesn't care for RT, and don't like upscalings.
But 3070ti? Bro nobody should buy 8GB GPU in 2023, and this card is only slightly faster and cost much more.

My 2080ti has been one of my favorite GPUs of all time. At 3440x1440 it is starting to show it's age but it still runs pretty much everything above 60fps at max settings and it does ok in 'most' games with RT on (and DLSS obviously). If I were in the market today I wouldn't get one though unless it were supremely cheap; as in under $300. At this point I'd probably snag a 4070 or wait for a 7700XTX if I couldn't (or didn't want to) stretch for a 7900/4080.
So you wouldn't buy 2080ti for $300, but you think that 4070 for $600 and only 25% more performance is a good buy?

So you wouldn't buy 2080ti for $300, but you think that 4070 for $600 and only 25% more performance is a good buy?
4070 is new tech while the 2080ti is 3 generations old now (almost 4 years old). 4070 is better at RT, DLSS 3 + FG, AV1 encoding, lower power consumption, runs cooler, is quieter, newer display port standards, will receive better performance related driver updates, and has a warranty...

2080ti is still a beast of a card if all you can afford is $300 but it is old and I look at it as a bad time to lock oneself into that old of a card when the 7600XT/4060 will be out soon-ish and likely not too much more expensive.

Last edited:
4070 is new tech while the 2080ti is 3 generations old now (almost 4 years old). 4070 is better at RT, DLSS 3 + FG, AV1 encoding, lower power consumption, runs cooler, is quieter, newer display port standards, will receive better performance related driver updates, and has a warranty...

2080ti is still a beast of a card if all you can afford is $300 but it is old and I look at it as a bad time to lock oneself into that old of a card when the 7600XT/4060 will be out soon-ish and likely not too much more expensive.
7600XT/4060s are DOA cards because of only 8GB of Vram. Same thing with used 3060ti/70/70ti. That's why 2080ti still is, and will be for much longer great choice from Nvidia.

7600XT/4060s are DOA cards because of only 8GB of Vram. Same thing with used 3060ti/70/70ti. That's why 2080ti still is, and will be for much longer great choice from Nvidia.
As much as we might like to call them "DOA cards" I wouldn't be surprised if they sold a lot more of them than the higher end 4070/4070tis.

As much as we might like to call them "DOA cards" I wouldn't be surprised if they sold a lot more of them than the higher end 4070/4070tis.
I think this is a given when you take a look at the Steam Survey results and see that the most used GPUs are *050s and *060s. I don't think that the people that are going to spend $3-400 on a 7600/4060 care about max detail, 120fps, 4k AAA gaming. They're going to grab one of those new GPUs and be ecstatic that they're getting 2x-3x the performance of their 6 year old card.

I think this is a given when you take a look at the Steam Survey results and see that the most used GPUs are *050s and *060s. I don't think that the people that are going to spend $3-400 on a 7600/4060 care about max detail, 120fps, 4k AAA gaming. They're going to grab one of those new GPUs and be ecstatic that they're getting 2x-3x the performance of their 6 year old card.
Yeah that's why I think it's not really fair to call them "DOA cards" especially since lots of people are still using 1080p as their native resolution.

They will definitely sell very well because majority of people are not educated enough to understand that 8GB is a problem going forward.
It's DOA for people like us here.
I believe that 8GB in 2023 is only acceptable in $200-250 GPUs, definitely not in $400 GPU.

Agreement all around that 8GB is completely acceptable for entry level cards and it’s all about price. Budget 1080p gaming is cheap as hell right now. My 2 youngest kids are still on 4g cards and don’t complain yet. Now this is purely because they play lighter games. Also they definitely don’t stare at performance metrics instead of, you know, just playing the damn game.

Well as fate would have it I came home to a PC that wouldn't POST. Turns out the 2080ti has just randomly died. Wonderful. Guess I'll be buying a new GPU after all.

I'd think long and hard before buying an old GPU.

Well as fate would have it I came home to a PC that wouldn't POST. Turns out the 2080ti has just randomly died. Wonderful. Guess I'll be buying a new GPU after all.

Well that sucks. Good hunting!

I'm sorry to hear that.
Micron memory???

When did you buy your 2080 Ti? If you bought one in 2018 you most likely got one with the ticking time bomb Micron memory, hence why I cautioned OP about buying a used 2080 Ti.

When did you buy your 2080 Ti? If you bought one in 2018 you most likely got one with the ticking time bomb Micron memory, hence why I cautioned OP about buying a used 2080 Ti.
Exactly that. When I bought mine I asked seller to verify Samsung memory in GPU-Z.
And like I mentioned before with Samsung you have easy OC. Some people are getting +1400MHz, but +1000 is pretty much guaranteed, and that is 15% higher bandwidth.

Lucked into a replacement 2080ti for free so I'm back in action. Same exact model (EVGA 2080ti Black). :smuggrin:

I don't remember what memory modules the dead one has. I might tear the cooler off and check it out sometime.

The 2080 Ti was pretty forgettable outside the shiny new features it supported. It was not much of a leap in performance compared to the Titan Xp at the same price point (around 20% in rasterization). This after the GTX Titan X was 80% faster than the GTX Titan, and the Titan Xp was 75% faster than the GTX Titan X.

Lucked into a replacement 2080ti for free so I'm back in action. Same exact model (EVGA 2080ti Black). :smuggrin:

I don't remember what memory modules the dead one has. I might tear the cooler off and check it out sometime.
Bro just check in GPU-Z
94s.png

The 2080 Ti was pretty forgettable outside the shiny new features it supported. It was not much of a leap in performance compared to the Titan Xp at the same price point (around 20% in rasterization). This after the GTX Titan X was 80% faster than the GTX Titan, and the Titan Xp was 75% faster than the GTX Titan X.
I'll always keep my 2080Ti though, for better or worse depending on who you ask. Mine had the Samsung memory and would easily do +1600 on the memory, was a good card and I enjoyed it overall, but was not a true 4K card. It did 1440P pretty good though even with RT at the time. Being the first "RT / DLSS" card, it has a spot in my collection. I kind of liked the industrial look of the eVGA one I have too.

I can see where some my be disappointed in the performance uptick but the overall performance and the new features like DLSS made it really enjoyable.

Bro just check in GPU-Z
My dead 2080ti is completely dead. System will not post with it installed.

Best thing about 2080ti these days is that 11GB of Vram and DLSS2. For example when all internet was crying how broken TLOU part 1 was, I could play that game from day 1 in 4k60fps, dlss balanced, high settings.

Last edited:
Well, read thru this whole thread. I have decided to simply keep my 1080TI. It does pretty damn well.
Smart choice, only upgrade worthwhile for you is the 4070. If it doesn't come down in price you may as well wait for Blackwell.

grab the 4070 ti and call it a day, price to performance ratio is pretty good from that chart
4070ti is $800-$900. While I think it would be a great card and I wouldn't be that worried about VRAM in the immediate future I would still be leery about dropping that much cash for one. For that much I'd grab a 7900XT and one might be able to luck into a XTX.

4070ti is $800-$900. While I think it would be a great card and I wouldn't be that worried about VRAM in the immediate future I would still be leery about dropping that much cash for one. For that much I'd grab a 7900XT and one might be able to luck into a XTX.
if you really want that vram, could get 3090 ti, 4080, 4090

I bought a RX 67 series for SIGNIFICANTLY less than I did a RTX 2070. It's a great card. Plus I don't have to look at the Nvidia driver settings anymore that were fine back in 2004... . Another alternative would be an RTX 6650 XT. If you live in the US you can find them for less than $300 and they have as much ram as a 2070 lol.. I don't use any upscaling BS I hate how it distorts image quality so Green teams marketing doesn't appeal to me. I appreciate good value cards.

Chart just for reference.
That is one thing with the team green drivers, the layout is so Windows 2000/XP. That is one thing I miss about the AMD drivers, is the nice control panel.

The 2080ti is a great card at the 250-300$ range. Anything more than that I would try and grab a 6800/XT card. 6700 is a great card if you want newer architecture and don't want to chance things with a used card. 10gb of ram should be good for 1080p and some 1440p

Back