So can't afford a brand new card. 2080TI for $350 reasonable?

If you do intend to go with a 2nd hand 2080 Ti there are 2 things to keep in mind.

1. The earliest batches that use Micron memory are a ticking time bomb. You can google more about this issue. Later batches are unaffected by this.
2. You would most likely not have a warranty in the event of problem #1 happening.

You mean like the 99.9% of games that don't use RT vs rasterization. Stop being a fan boy and think about how these are mid level cards.
Fanboy, you say? If you stopped to take a look at my signature you'd see I run an AMD GPU. RDNA2 is factually weak at RT. More and more games are using it. I even said IF you only play conventionally rasterized titles it would be fine. Heh. Ridiculous. Def adding you to the ignore list.

Fanboy, you say? If you stopped to take a look at my signature you'd see I run an AMD GPU. RDNA2 is factually weak at RT. More and more games are using it. I even said IF you only play conventionally rasterized titles it would be fine. Heh. Ridiculous. Def adding you to the ignore list.
Always remember this. If you mention RT performance you are an NV fanboy. First law of AMD fandom.

350 I would get a 6700 XT, RT isn't a big deal yet. Id rather not buy something as old as a 2080 ti.

Yeah brother RE 4 Raytracing, can't miss it. I've used RT, aside from a handful of games it's mostly unimpressive.
Unimpressive? Wow. I think it looks awesome. Maybe in the future most games will use it and it will be normal and look bland without it.

Unimpressive? Wow. I think it looks awesome. Maybe in the future most games will use it and it will be normal and look bland without it.
Depends on the title, RE 4 it doesn't do much of anything. I didn't even really think it was much of an upgrade for cyberpunk until this new path tracing mode came along. Most of the time it's not really worth the FPS hit unless you have a 4070 ti+. Depends on resolution I guess, but still 1440p with a 3070 or 2080 ti I wouldn't bother with RT in most titles (metro exodus, control, and maybe cyberpunk of the games I've played with it).

What does your signature have to do with your ignorant opinion? And you missed the point, RT is pointless with the class of performance cards we are talking about in the thread. And IF/WHEN RT becomes more mainstream every low/midrange NV/AMD card we talk about here will be irrelevant. Why does every thread like this devolve into "if it can't do RT it ain't worth it". Gosh forbid we don't see RT in that golden video savior category yet or we are just haters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kzoak
like this
What does your signature have to do with your ignorant opinion? And you missed the point, RT is pointless with the class of performance cards we are talking about in the thread. And IF/WHEN RT becomes more mainstream every low/midrange NV/AMD card we talk about here will be irrelevant. Why does every thread like this devolve into "if it can't do RT it ain't worth it". Gosh forbid we don't see RT in that golden video savior category yet or we are just haters.
2080ti is fine running some rt settings still at 1080 or 1440. You do realize most games have options for quality on raytracing right? You still also end up with s better picture quality overall even if you use dlss to help compensate for the added demand. It isn't junky looking like fsr is.

Support and function are two differant things. As example DLSS 3 is not supported on older cards because Nvidia says it requires new hardware. Now what I am wondering, to clarify, does DLSS run equal on 2000 and 3000 series on equivalent level hardware if you get my point.
Not sure your point. Seems your question is more what card is faster as that will dictate how well the DLSS 2 works. DLSS2 is DLSS2.

Is a 3080 faster than a 2080 Ti? Yes.

2080ti is fine running some rt settings still at 1080 or 1440. You do realize most games have options for quality on raytracing right? You still also end up with s better picture quality overall even if you use dlss to help compensate for the added demand. It isn't junky looking like fsr is.

Yeah I'm going to need some proof of that. Explain to me what "playable is" turning down RT settings, especially at 1440P? Of course you have to use dlss to run RT on those older cards, you do realize that right?

It isn't junky looking like fsr is.

And there it is LOL.

I agree that DLSS is better, but I'd still rather not buy a 4-5 year old card when I can get a brand new one with the same or better raw raster performance for 350.
I do not know much about DLSS etc. I play World of Tanks, Madden 23, and right now, the Last of us P1. That is it. All being played on a 35" widescreen at 3440X1440

Just thought the natural progression would be the 2080Ti since I have the 1080TI now,

I do not know much about DLSS etc. I play World of Tanks, Madden 23, and right now, the Last of us P1. That is it. All being played on a 35" widescreen at 3440X1440

Just thought the natural progression would be the 2080Ti since I have the 1080TI now,
Yeah I don't know, I honestly think it might not be worth getting either. Maybe better off saving up for 6 months or so and getting a 4070 or something in that range. I think prices will drop significantly in that time period as well. You'll likely be able to get a 4070 in october for around 500 or so would be my guess. 2080 Ti or 6700 XT are only going to be a 30 percent or so upgrade, so I'd rather you just stick with what you have than waste your money on something that isn't significant. Buying a used 5 year old card also has significant risk associated with it that's too hard to ignore.

I have a 1080TI now, and do want to jump up in performance. And seems the 2080TI would effectively double that performance from my current card. Is that a reasonable price for one?
I think so, yes.

Where are you getting the 2080Ti from? If it's from a friend, then you have more insight into how the card was treated, etc. Even if it's Ebay, (and I can see 2080-Tis for $280) it's a decent deal. And once you upgrade and everything is good, you can sell the 1080Ti on Ebay and those get $200 or more. The upgrade $cost is very very good once you factor in selling the 1080ti.

Not sure your point. Seems your question is more what card is faster as that will dictate how well the DLSS 2 works. DLSS2 is DLSS2.

Is a 3080 faster than a 2080 Ti? Yes.
Adored did an interesting investigation on Nvidia's RTX 2000-4000 series cards, and well of course they have gotten faster over time he declared that the RT performance increases linearly through the gens showing no improvement on RT tech specifically other then of course the newer cards over all increases.
I am not claiming he is 100% correct as it is all over my head but it does raise questions to me about DLSS.

What I was asking is has DLSS actually advanced gen to gen other then the obvious hardware increases. Is a 4080 doing more, all things considered, with DLSS then a 2080 does. Have the tensor cores improved to enable more efficient DLSS on the newer hardware.

Adored did an interesting investigation on Nvidia's RTX 2000-4000 series cards, and well of course they have gotten faster over time he declared that the RT performance increases linearly through the gens showing no improvement on RT tech specifically other then of course the newer cards over all increases.
I am not claiming he is 100% correct as it is all over my head but it does raise questions to me about DLSS.

What I was asking is has DLSS actually advanced gen to gen other then the obvious hardware increases. Is a 4080 doing more, all things considered, with DLSS then a 2080 does. Have the tensor cores improved to enable more efficient DLSS on the newer hardware.

There is an entire thread about RT performance (forgot the name of said thread) and the discussion in there shows how flawed Adored's analysis is.

LOL. Anyone who watches and believes this clown is equally a clown.

1080 Ti was and still is a serious card to tangle with given the competition. Don't underestimate it. You really need to skip Turing if you want some $$/FPS value.

Edit: What CPU are you running on that z170 platform? You'll be CPU-limited either way, but wondering just how much.

Adored = AMD shill, and/or a mouth-foaming nVidia hater. It's too biased to be of any value. Watch that if you can't stand anything nVidia does and want to feel good about buying AMD.

The worst kind of viral marketing...
I don't know that his recent very wrong takes make him automatically an AMD shill. He really liked Turing as an architecture and like many others here just complains about prices. Nvidia sets the prices and AMD follows them so.

I think many just need to realize some of his videos are just speculative and often wrong and shouldn't be taken as gospel. But he shits all over Radeon Technology Group too, so I think "AMD shill" is kind of misguided of a label.

I think "AMD shill" is kind of misguided of a label.
There is a decent number of people who call HWUB an AMD shill for sometimes making videos unfavorable to Nvidia. Pretty much if you so much as cast any skepticism towards the gospel of Nvidia, you're an AMD shill. Yes, even if you do your fair share of calling out AMD.

AdoredTV took a fair number of shots against AMD for being stupid at times.

... But he shits all over Radeon Technology Group too, so I think "AMD shill" is kind of misguided of a label.
Maybe he just spews hate in all directions... he is not someone I would want to be around in real life and I refuse to watch his videos. So I will have to take your word for it.

1080 Ti was and still is a serious card to tangle with given the competition. Don't underestimate it. You really need to skip Turing if you want some $$/FPS value.

Edit: What CPU are you running on that z170 platform? You'll be CPU-limited either way, but wondering just how much.

I’d still be on a 1080ti if I didn’t want HDMI 2.1 for my 120Hz TV…. Then my 2080ti dying right after warranty ended… hmmm.

And if OP cared about RT I’d stretch for something as new as possible, that still seems kind of niche.

My main card is a 3080 Ti but a couple of weeks ago I also just scored a new 6750 XT on sale for $320. It performs extremely well for that price. Some good prices are out there on the RX 6000 cards. In this market that is a hell of a lot of performance at a good price. It's very nearly 3080 level performance and it has 12GB of RAM.

I'm not a fanboy of either side, just a fan of whatever has the performance I'm looking for at a good price.

Maybe he just spews hate in all directions... he is not someone I would want to be around in real life and I refuse to watch his videos. So I will have to take your word for it.
If being critical of things is "spewing hate", ok. Feels like some just automatically call people AMD fanboys in here if they dare push back on Nvidia on something.

As for Adored, I think he is wrong on a ton, but I don't find him to be a "fanboy". He calls out the seeming incompetence of the Radeon Technology Group too as much as he calls out Nvidia's shenanigans. I think he went overboard with probably getting caught up in the hype of RDNA3. But I think he just got excited about multi-chip graphics and didn't temper his expectations to reality.

If being critical of things is "spewing hate", ok. Feels like some just automatically call people AMD fanboys in here if they dare push back on Nvidia on something.

As for Adored, I think he is wrong on a ton, but I don't find him to be a "fanboy". He calls out the seeming incompetence of the Radeon Technology Group too as much as he calls out Nvidia's shenanigans. I think he went overboard with probably getting caught up in the hype of RDNA3. But I think he just got excited about multi-chip graphics and didn't temper his expectations to reality.
Yeah, however, Adored quit the tech space for a time. He said he was gone. His new videos really seem like he's lost a step or two. He's citing old shit.

It's like Kyle took step back but his takes are grounded in real world experience. He's an investigative journalist and it shows, his takes on things are believable and analytical.

Adored just sounds like nothing has happened, he's been in the tech space the whole time and tied into it all and is regurgitating old talking points. Most of his assumptions have been wrong and he was hardcore predicting the demise of Nvidia with the 7000 Series from AMD. I gotta take the guy with a shitload of salt these days.

I think the only sensible possibility of Nvidia's "demise" in graphics cards would be them simply deciding that consumer gaming cards aren't worth it anymore.

And that is possible at the rate prices are increasing and how their only response to waning demand of each new (lower end $$$ ?!?) card is "reduce production" rather than either make the product cheaper, better, or just more what everyone wants.

It is unlikely, but possible they may just walk away someday soon. And that would leave AMD as king since they make the lion share of console graphics which would unify the space between PC and console... and as odd as it sounds AMD would take Nvidia's position with gamers and Intel would replace AMD as the gaming underdog with cheaper cards.

Yeah... not likely. But who knows.

I think the only sensible possibility of Nvidia's "demise" in graphics cards would be them simply deciding that consumer gaming cards aren't worth it anymore.

And that is possible at the rate prices are increasing and how their only response to waning demand of each new (lower end $$$ ?!?) card is "reduce production" rather than either make the product cheaper, better, or just more what everyone wants.

It is unlikely, but possible they may just walk away someday soon. And that would leave AMD as king since they make the lion share of console graphics which would unify the space between PC and console... and as odd as it sounds AMD would take Nvidia's position with gamers and Intel would replace AMD as the gaming underdog with cheaper cards.

Yeah... not likely. But who knows.
Then we could complain about $1800 AMD cards!

Right now I’d buy the best 4xxx card I could afford.

I think right this second I wouldn't bother with Nvidia under the 4070 Ti. There's too many cheap AMD cards under that tier.

Yeah, however, Adored quit the tech space for a time. He said he was gone. His new videos really seem like he's lost a step or two. He's citing old shit.

It's like Kyle took step back but his takes are grounded in real world experience. He's an investigative journalist and it shows, his takes on things are believable and analytical.

Adored just sounds like nothing has happened, he's been in the tech space the whole time and tied into it all and is regurgitating old talking points. Most of his assumptions have been wrong and he was hardcore predicting the demise of Nvidia with the 7000 Series from AMD. I gotta take the guy with a shitload of salt these days.
Oh I don't disagree with anything you stated here. I don't take Adored too seriously.

AMD drivers come a long way? I haven't owned an ATI card since the X1900XTX and the drivers made me sell it. I've been on the hunt too, still happy with my 1060 6gb card for now.

AMD drivers come a long way? I haven't owned an ATI card since the X1900XTX and the drivers made me sell it. I've been on the hunt too, still happy with my 1060 6gb card for now.
do you honestly think they are having the same issues 17+ years later? if you want to discuss further, start a thread or find one of the other driver threads in the amd section....

Back