So any admins installing java 7u11 notice...

The new security warning dialogue box for java 7u11 looks pretty much like the fake av malware program warnings. This will be fun. :mad:

j711_zps9fb066a2.jpg

No I did not know they changed that. How you are mass distributing this upgrade by chance?

Active directory msi push via group policy.

BTW - I've begun to encourage our various department people that have to visit web sites running java to inquire with the company in question as to when they will be changing their web site so that it does not require java anymore. I think it's time us admins do what we can to pressure companies to drop java from their web sites so we don't have to deal with it anymore. Yeah it's an uphill battle but we need to get the word out.

Last edited:
Update Java??? That would break all of our crappy legacy apps that will never be upgraded to support newer version of Java!!!
I wish I was joking.

Last edited:
Update Java??? That would break all of our crappy legacy apps that will never be upgraded to support newer version of Java!!!
I wish I was joking.

We're in the same boat, luckily we got a update for the one application I was worried about last week. It sat on my coordinators desk for a week...... I got it installed today and updated java with GPO and everything is much better now.

I haven't noticed the Security warning yet, hmm. However we just got the update installed after the day was over today.

I wish I was joking.
I feel ya. Oh BOY, do I feel ya. There was a place that I worked that required 4 different, specific versions of java...for the same app ( different components though ).

Yes, this meant that a single app required several different servers ( 5 ) per instance ( well, not just the java version, but for other reasons as well ). Yes, instance, because the way this app was coded, it would fall over if too much was expected of it at once...so we had to have a farm of instances. What a nightmare.

Of course, this was the same app that utilized pervasive AND mssql. See, the pervasive database told the app how to find data in the MSSQL database. Communication between the various components was xml..."ish".

So fucking glad I don't support that nightmare anymore. I am somewhat certain that the app was the result of a psychology thesis paper ( study of the average amount of stress your average IT worker can handle ) that took on a life of it's own.

Anyway, I've started removing java from my desktops. So far no one has complained, so I'm hopeful I'll be able to eliminate it entirely from my network.

Back