Slim ITX case options

phinix

Gawd
I'm looking for a slim ITX case, that would let me install full length GPU (like 1080Ti), sff PSU and AIO 120mm cooler.
Ideally, slim vertical case.

What are my options?

This Senry 2.0 should be better than Node 202, but it cost more money. At the moment i am building some small AiO PC:

https://abload.de/image.php?img=sam_0744bjkbl.jpg

GFX Card is too loud and cpu is unterclocked at 70°. I orded the newer XSPC TX radiator to fit in an i try to make the case lighter. Dual slot full size GFX card might fit and might be better than this short 2070.

Silverstone is 8cm, and Node 202 is about 9cm and the thicker Silverstone are at 10cm. I would go for the 10cm silverstone. It might fit 1x240mm and 1x120mm radiator easyly.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/180...tning-liquid-cooling-silverstone-ftz01-2.html

Ok not that easy...

The biggest option is the Thermaltake Core G. There might be some ways to put more radiators on this case.

Did an ITX build with the Cougar QBX a while back for my sister with a 120mm AIO and fullsized GTX 1060. This thing even fits a 240mm radiator if you want to sacrifice some of the HDD bays. Harder to find nowadays, but here's one that's basically MSRP.

Used some heat to peel off the "Cougar" sticker on the front. Looks so clean:
QBX.jpg

Interior:
QBX2.png

Note: There are some PSU compatibility considerations due to the orientation of the power cord extension built into the case.
psuchart.jpg

Last edited:
Well dude, I built a system with the Node 304 about 7 years back, and it can fit some pretty deep graphics cards. The 140mm outlet and 2x92mm inlet fans are also unmatched for the time.

You go with a mountain like that Cougar, and you have zero issues. But if the OP is looking to go slim and tall, then there are going to be caveats associated with that.

Well dude, I built a system with the Node 304 about 7 years back, and it can fit some pretty deep graphics cards. The 140mm outlet and 2x92mm inlet fans are also unmatched for the time.

You go with a mountain like that Cougar, and you have zero issues. But if the OP is looking to go slim and tall, then there are going to be caveats associated with that.

Yeah, IMO the AIO piece for a slim ITX case is the biggest hurdle. I was very close to making a Silverstone Raven recommendation. I built my previous daily driver out of a RVZ02B, it was skinny (3" wide, 14" tall, 14" depth), sexy, and fit a fullsized GPU... but would not accept an AIO.

While slimmer than a Node 304, it's barely 3" taller. You could technically even put the QBX on its side (add some felt/silicone sticker feet to the left panel) and it would be about an inch shorter and an inch wider than the Node 304.

Yeah, IMO the AIO piece for a slim ITX case is the biggest hurdle. I was very close to making a Silverstone Raven recommendation. I built my previous daily driver out of a RVZ02B, it was skinny, sexy, and fit a fullsized GPU... but would not accept an AIO.

While slimmer than a Node 304, it's barely 3" taller. You could technically even put the QBX on its side (add some felt/silicone sticker feet to the left panel) and it would be about an inch shorter and an inch wider than the Node 304.

They are exactly the same volume, just different dimensions of rectangle.

The QBX is pretty wide to make the case for "thin itx"

Cooling on the node is kinda meh regardless. Expect that 1080 to run hot.

If it's blower style (founder's edition), it will be fine.

If not, if the cooler is not super tall, you can put two 120mm slim fans in the GPU chamber to add airflow. There are several build logs out there with GPU cooler suggestions, and fans they used.

I've also read that if you orient the case upside-down (standing vertically like I mentioned earlier, but flipped) to improve GPU airflow if you have an axial cooler (this puts it on the top of the case, where it better convects).

The CPU cooling is likely to be the hardest thing to do in the case, unless you go more reasonable, and pack-in a Core i3 8100 (really a 35w CPU). I wouldn't go above an i5 8400. You will have to do some research on what th e best CPU coler is for a case that size.

An alternative mentioned earlier in the thread is the Silverstone Raven RVZO1.. It's a decent alternative with a little better cooling, but is a bit thicker, and a bit more expensive..

Or you can take the easy route, and go with the Cougar :D

Last edited:
If it's blower style (founder's edition), it will be fine.

If not, if the cooler is not super tall, you can put two 120mm slim fans in the GPU chamber to add airflow. There are several build logs out there with GPU cooler suggestions, and fans they used.

I've also read that if you orient the case upside-down (standing vertically like I mentioned earlier, but flipped) to improve GPU airflow if you have an axial cooler (this puts it on the top of the case, where it better convects).

The CPU cooling is likely to be the hardest thing to do in the case, unless you go more reasonable, and pack-in a Core i3 8100 (really a 35w CPU). I wouldn't go above an i5 8400. You will have to do some research on what th e best CPU coler is for a case that size.

An alternative mentioned earlier in the thread is the Silverstone Raven RVZO1.. It's a decent alternative with a little better cooling, but is a bit thicker, and a bit more expensive..

Or you can take the easy route, and go with the Cougar :D

I might try flipping mine. It's all stock clocks so I don't really care how hot it gets, just loud.

Yeah, the Node 202 will never be a *silent* case, but you can make it relatively quiet if you put some sweat into it.

It's just not possible to make a powerful system run cool and quiet without going more boxy :D

See, I've been looking for a slim ITX and don't understand that none of those available cases have possibility to stay thin, but accept full length GPUs and AIO coolers.
Well, there are few, which I'm considering, but those are so expensive.

These are some of those I've looked at:

• Metallic Gear MG-NE210
  • M1
  • A4
  • Sentry
  • Skyreach 4
  • Node 202
  • C4 (not available)
  • Ghost S1 - L
  • Streacom DA2
  • Circle Pro
  • Jonsbo UMX1 Plus

Last edited:
See, I've been looking for a slim ITX and don't understand that none of those available cases have possibility to stay thin, but accept full length GPUs and AIO coolers.

Cheap and slim with full compatibility doesn't really go hand in hand. Cougar QBX is a great cost-effective ITX enclosure with a similar footprint to the much more expensive Ncase M1, however you're after 'slim' so I suspect more like the Node 202/Saber. They're really your only options.

These are some of those I've looked at:

• Metallic Gear MG-NE210
  • M1
  • A4
  • Sentry
  • Node 202
  • C4 (not available)
  • Ghost S1 - L
  • Streacom DA2

The problem is what you are asking for in a case. When you have a mini itx motherboard, SFX PSU and full size graphics card you take up most of the available space in a slim case. In order to add an AIO something has to go, either the full size graphics card or the SFX PSU.

Right, all the excess space you have in larger cases goes away when you want to shrink your PC case down to almost Laptop-thickness.

Double-slot graphics cards require a minimum width, length and thickness that's at least a couple inches thick and wide, and around 6 inches long (as well as free space above and below). Otherwise you couldn't get the air in and out of the card's cooler.

Moving air in and out of your case using efficient axial fans requires a minimum fan hole size of 5 inches, as well as a couple inches clearance inside the case (for the air to flow better). Your CPU h heat sink inside the case also takes up minimum space, and need a half inch or more clearance with the case wall.

You have only so much surface area to use in a smaller case for external fan holes, and it's hard to find 5 inches free to put in more than s couple fan holes in these very small cases (Node 202), or ONE fan (Sentry, but ony if you have itx-sized GPU)

You want better cooling, well then jump back to cases in the 20-25l range, like the Cougar. Boxes are not as sexy, but they are a more efficient use of space over these pizza box cases.

Last edited:
I decided to go with Jonsbo UMX1 Plus.
I found one very cheap on ebay - in e-shops new one costs around £140. I found a new one for £75 on ebay.

Now, after watching many reviews of dsifferent air coolers, I also decided to replace AIO cooler with Noctua NH-U9S.
Looks like this is pretty much great cooler for stock CPUs - and I will be running stock one, as don't see a point for OCing one.

Will get back to you guys, once I get my case and cooler and build it.

Yeah, the Node 202 will never be a *silent* case, but you can make it relatively quiet if you put some sweat into it.

It's just not possible to make a powerful system run cool and quiet without going more boxy :D
What's the best small case if you want cool and quiet without a discrete gpu?

I am considering i3-8100 or 2200g.

I want a 140mm or 120mm case fan running at low speed.

Maybe the sg13, Thermaltake Core or Coolermaster 110?

What's the best small case if you want cool and quiet without a discrete gpu?

I am considering i3-8100 or 2200g.

I want a 140mm or 120mm case fan running at low speed.

Maybe the sg13, Thermaltake Core or Coolermaster 110?

If you like shoe box shaped cases, Sugo series is perfect for this.
If you prefer something more towery-like, I like all those small Lian-Li or Colltek/Jonsbo cases.
Look at Cooltek U series, they are nice.

Back