SilverStone SX800-LTI 800W Titanium SFX-L

Pantera_666

Weaksauce
Still waiting for the SX700-LPT? Guess what...

sx800w.png

sx800w 2.png

In theory it's gonna be released in Q4 2016... Yeah right...

SFX-L, 120mm fan, 800W and titanium efficiency...

What do you think guys?

Wow 800W in SFX-L format is very impressive indeed! However, with GPUs getting more efficient every generation I don't see the need for that much power in such a small form factor.

Nearly all mITX motherboards natively support a single GPU, unless yours supports bifurcation, so realistically you're underutilizing that PSU. Most likely unable to take advantage of the "titanium level" efficiency as you'll never reach high enough wattage.

As for mATX there may be a market in that form factor; however, nearly all mATX cases are geared towards ATX PSUs, which are much cheaper per watt. Overall this is great tech and I'm glad someone is pushing the SFX/SFX-L PSUs to new heights.

Unfortunately I don't see any real value in this PSU now, but am open to other views and opinions to see from another angle.

but am open to other views and opinions to see from another angle.

Well... If you want to see the brightside of Titanium efficiency, it could be a lot silent,maybe fanless at "low" load (what is low for 800W?) and cooler because there's a minor heat waste...

You know... Temp and silent freaks would love it...

Very true, I do agree seeing that as a drive towards people buying this (silent and cool). I'd like to see the price comparison of this PSU as well as the 700 watt Silverstone PSU against Corsairs smaller 600 watt PSU. Which I and others have difficulty of getting the darn thing to make a peep! 450 would have sufficed, but the 600, as overkill as it may be for my rig, the extra 30 dollars was worth the silent and cool my business.

Also I don't mean to upsell the Corsair PSU, it fits my needs more than what Silverstone brings to the table, SFX>SFX-L. Again I'm very impressed with the power that thing will be pulling from the wall out of a little box!

Consider how long it's taking the 700 to hit market, we should just lock this thread for 12 months or otherwise it'll just be nothing but "are we there yet?"

The connectors look like they protrude much more than previous Silverstone designs, I hope they take some of what they implemented with the 700W and recess them otherwise it will be difficult to shoehorn it into the Ncase.
The SX700-LPT connectors stick out 2.1mm (SilverStone SX700-LPT Review - It's Finally Here! - Small Form Factor Network) and for the SX500-LG ~3.8-4.3mm (measured but in use so cannot do so properly).
The Lian-Li PE-750 has connectors that stick 4.7mm out (as per manual Lian Li PE-750 Review - An Unexpected Entrant - Small Form Factor Network).

There is less "strict" requirements for bigger watt-psu's to get plat & titanium. I would much rather have a 350-600 watt plat/titanium sfx psu. I know it is still very sick they made a 800watt, but make a 500watt sfx (or sfx-L) titanuium and it will not desipate much heat.

You should want a higher efficiency on higher wattage because of temperature and power consumption being scaled in percentages.

800W PSU with >94% (Titanium) efficiency at 50% load (400W) means a maximum of 24W heat output or AC overhead.
800W PSU with >90% (Gold) efficiency at 50% load (400W) means a maximum of 40W heat output or AC overhead.
600W PSU with 87-90% (Gold) efficiency at 67% load (400W) means a maximum of 52W heat output or AC overhead.
400W PSU with 90% (Titanium) efficiency at at 100% load (400W) means a maximum of 40W heat output or AC overhead.

More efficiency means less heat and thus can result in less noise. And since a 350-400W PSU is going to be running closer to it's 100% load than the 50% load with a high-end GPU, it's going to be as efficient as an 800W Gold PSU.

More efficiency means less heat and thus can result in less noise. And since a 350-400W PSU is going to be running closer to it's 100% load than the 50% load with a high-end GPU, it's going to be as efficient as an 800W Gold PSU.

In a vacuum, this is true, but ambient temperature, air flow, PSU placement, etc have an impact as well. An 80 Plus Gold PSU may be cooler in a well ventilated area with AC set to 68, then an 80 Plus Titanium in a badly ventilated area with AC set to 74 at the same load.

Also, just because something is rated as 80 Plus Gold doesn't mean it only meets the minimum requirements. The SF600 IIRC nearly meets 80 Plus Platinum.

Looking at it from a monetary perspective, I did the math a while ago, and for me, I'd have to own a Titanium PSU 12 years longer than a Gold of the same wattage to come out ahead on the investment. I think the longest I've used a PSU is about 8 years.

Having said all this, Phuncz' table demonstrates some really good advice: You should always aim for a PSU that will be running at 50% efficiency at load. That's going to have the biggest effect on heat and power usage.

Well, you have a 140W LGA 2011 CPU and a 180W GPU for 320W and 30W for other assorted bits and pieces, you want the PSU at 50%, that's 700W. What's 800W for? Are you going to run GTX 1080 SLI off an SFX PSU?

I think the 800w is good for SLI µATX builds. I'd rather use an SFX PSU in a µATX system personally.

A heavily overclocked 2011v3 mITX build might need more than 350w, but even then, needing 400 is a bit of a stretch with only one GPU. At least until the next Radeon X2 card comes out...

Yeah, the matx users could find a better use of a 800w unit I'm thinking.

Well, you have a 140W LGA 2011 CPU and a 180W GPU for 320W and 30W for other assorted bits and pieces, you want the PSU at 50%, that's 700W. What's 800W for? Are you going to run GTX 1080 SLI off an SFX PSU?
There are more GPUs than just the GTX 1080, like the "GTX 1080 Ti" that is undoubtibly going to launch after the "New GTX Titan" launches which will both probably use more than 180W. We're also not sure what AMD has planned for us soon and early 2017. You think it's strange that SFX PSUs are used for SLI/Crossfire or overclocked setups ? Aibohphobia already tested the 700W SFX-L PSU with an Intel X99 and GTX 980 SLI setup.

This PSU will be atleast half a year away, so don't look at now, look at then.

I'm not advocating we all need to jump to the biggest PSU out there, but there is merit why a 80+ Titanium 800W PSU is being launched and desired.

Having said all this, Phuncz' table demonstrates some really good advice: You should always aim for a PSU that will be running at 50% efficiency at load. That's going to have the biggest effect on heat and power usage.

I partially disagree. You should aim for a PSU that will handle your maximum load, but also with attention paid towards the load that you run MOST of the time.

Example: Someone in college who spends 2 hours a day gaming (running under load) but the rest of the time web browsing or typing papers, plus leaves computer on 24/7 because reasons. A modern gaming computer without power management disabled can easily be under 10% load on some of these high powered units for 22 hours a day.

That said, at least Titanium rating requires the units to pass a 10% load. Also, a counterargument can be that a 10% efficiency difference at low loads may account for 5-10W while the same percentage difference at high loads can be 50-60W.

Has anyone seen this before:
AP-MP4ATX80FEP8 | athenapower.com

Efficiency looks dreadful, and Athena don't have a great reputation but it is innovative. Anyone know hen it was released? Looks OEM.

No combined +12v and no efficiency rating. At least they do imply peak load is measured at 25°C in the MTBF rating. I would not put it in the same class as the known good PSUs.

That said, I would indeed choose it over the really crappy stuff like Diablotek or Apevia. I have seen Athena Power PSUs in person, and they pass the weight test. Cursory inspection shows more "stuff" inside them too.

I partially disagree. You should aim for a PSU that will handle your maximum load, but also with attention paid towards the load that you run MOST of the time.

Example: Someone in college who spends 2 hours a day gaming (running under load) but the rest of the time web browsing or typing papers, plus leaves computer on 24/7 because reasons. A modern gaming computer without power management disabled can easily be under 10% load on some of these high powered units for 22 hours a day.

That said, at least Titanium rating requires the units to pass a 10% load. Also, a counterargument can be that a 10% efficiency difference at low loads may account for 5-10W while the same percentage difference at high loads can be 50-60W.

It is a little more complex than 50% at load, I agree. The numbers I ran for Gold vs Platinum vs Titanium were based on my overall usage, not on full load, albeit I now have my machine sleep after 2 hours of inactivity rather than leaving it on all the time...

Regardless, if calculating the monetary cost of a PSU over time, buyers should be looking at adding: Amount of time idle per day, light load per day, heavy load (such as gaming) per day. Then multiplying all that times whatever the appropriate kw/hr cost is. Could be a 450w PSU is cheaper to run for 10 years than a 700w. Or a Gold vs a Platinum.

For my own usage on my full ATX build, Titanium was cheaper than Platinum over the time period I expected to own the PSU, but Gold was significantly cheaper than both, at least at MAP. Luckily I managed to find an AX760 for 70 bucks below MAP... But the numbers were eye-opening vs all the claims about PSU efficiency and cost savings.

Anyone hear any updates on the release date of this PSU? I want it for my DAN case mitx build.

Still a couple months of dev rqrd. The original info suggested an EO Sept / Oct release, so it's not slipped too much yet.

Has anyone tried the LianLi PE750 in the Ncase? What was the fitment with the GPU like?

I can only assume this will have updated fan control logic from what was learned with the 700LPT, but if Tony Ou could come nod his head to this effect before launch, I'd feel far more comfortable about this product.

Is there any info on when they will be in stores or better yet available from amazon? I can't wait to try one.

Last edited:
For those of you in the US, the SX800-LTI should be available in stores in about two weeks, but not so sure about Amazon specifically. For Europe, the first shipment isn't scheduled to arrive until the middle of January so expect them to be in European stores in late January.

Thanks for the update Tony! Just in time for Xmas... although I wonder how good supplies will be at first?

Thanks for the update Tony! Just in time for Xmas... although I wonder how good supplies will be at first?

Supply will be limited at first as with all new product launches initially, but I think we should have enough to go around until later shipments catch up in January.

As a heads up to those of you interested in using the SX800-LTI in our SFX cases, please make sure to check out the short compatibility list we posted over the weekend, below is a copy:

Model - Compatibility
RVZ01 / FTZ01 / ML07 - No
RVZ02 / ML08 - Yes
SG05 / SG05-450 / SG05-LITE - No
SG06 / SG06-450 / SG06-LITE - No
FT03-MINI - No
ML05 / ML06 / ML06-E / ML09 - No
DS380 - No
CS01 / CS01-HS - No
CS280 - No
PP08 - Yes

The incompatibility is due to SX800-LTI's power cord connector interfering with case's PSU cutout. We are currently working on widening the cutouts on incompatible cases so hopefully this list will show more "yes" than "no" by the middle of next year.

If you plan on using cases with ATX PSU mount, then you needn't worry about incompatibility as our PP08 SFX to ATX adapter is compatible with SX800-LTI.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just a heads up everyone. I finally got my hands on the 800w SFX silverstone and it cannot power dual Titan Xps + a mini-tx motherboard running 2699V4. It can drive a single Titan Xp + mobo but as soon as I kick up the other GPU, the system reboots. I am able to run them using two PSU with a PSU splitter without any issues so it's definitely a PSU issue. The same thing happens with the single Lian Li 750W SFX PSU. I thought the 50W would make a difference so picked up the 800W Silverstone but it's a no go unfortunately. :(

That is incredibly unfortunate. I thought perhaps that there would be no need for a bigger sfx-l psu.

Do you think its something you can eliminate by keeping the cards from boosting? Not that that would be ideal.

That is incredibly unfortunate. I thought perhaps that there would be no need for a bigger sfx-l psu.

Do you think its something you can eliminate by keeping the cards from boosting? Not that that would be ideal.

I'm running this on Ubuntu so GPU tweaking software is limited. I'll instead be using two 1U PSUs for my build.

wow if this came out a year ago, I would have gone with a completely different build!

I'm running this on Ubuntu so GPU tweaking software is limited. I'll instead be using two 1U PSUs for my build.
Hmm. Glad you found a way around it. Not gunna lie, I'd be curious to see some pictures of the build once its more or less finished.

Just a heads up everyone. I finally got my hands on the 800w SFX silverstone and it cannot power dual Titan Xps + a mini-tx motherboard running 2699V4. It can drive a single Titan Xp + mobo but as soon as I kick up the other GPU, the system reboots. I am able to run them using two PSU with a PSU splitter without any issues so it's definitely a PSU issue. The same thing happens with the single Lian Li 750W SFX PSU. I thought the 50W would make a difference so picked up the 800W Silverstone but it's a no go unfortunately. :(
It may be worth contacting Silverstone: Even at absolute peak momentary draw the Titan X(p)s draw 250W each (500W total), so the remaining 300W should be more than enough for the Xeon + mobo. It could possibly be a current slew rate issue, but that would be a "hey Silverstone, Y U no hit ATX spec?!" problem, a single Titan X(p) is well within the 50% rated current transient spec.

As a heads up to those of you interested in using the SX800-LTI in our SFX cases, please make sure to check out the short compatibility list we posted over the weekend, below is a copy:

Model - Compatibility
RVZ01 / FTZ01 / ML07 - No
RVZ02 / ML08 - Yes
SG05 / SG05-450 / SG05-LITE - No
SG06 / SG06-450 / SG06-LITE - No
FT03-MINI - No
ML05 / ML06 / ML06-E / ML09 - No
DS380 - No
CS01 / CS01-HS - No
CS280 - No
PP08 - Yes

The incompatibility is due to SX800-LTI's power cord connector interfering with case's PSU cutout. We are currently working on widening the cutouts on incompatible cases so hopefully this list will show more "yes" than "no" by the middle of next year.

Tony, can SX800-LTI or SX700-LPT (SFX-L) power supplies fit into ML06B-E case if the 2.5" hdd drive cage is removed?

Back