Silverstone SX500-LG 500W Gold SFX-L

I wonder, if I were to replace whatever fan in an SFX-L unit, whether a retail slim 120mm fan can fit inside snugly without scraping the fan frame off to make the fan a tiny bit smaller.

Yes, any 120x120x15 fan should fit just fine. The outer measurement of all SFX-L cases so far is 125x130mm, so when subtracting the thickness of the case material there'll still be at least a couple of mm of space around the fan frame.

Probably. Or people could select a fan with inadequate air flow/static pressure.

Most likely, yes. The potential for disaster is very high.

Yes, but if I were a psu manufacturer, I wouldn't want the customer service shit storm that would inevitably hit sooner or later, where users who have made mistakes with the fan will lie about how the psu broke down, trying to get it fixed or replaced on warranty. :D

Yes, but if I were a psu manufacturer, I wouldn't want the customer service shit storm that would inevitably hit sooner or later, where users who have made mistakes with the fan will lie about how the psu broke down, trying to get it fixed or replaced on warranty. :D

Definitely.

I know I'm no longer warranty-eligible, but then again, I know the risks and weighed my decisions before going for it. ;)

Hmm... new crowdfunding idea?! ;)

No.

PSUs sold in North America and Europe need to pass safety tests. In the absence of guaranteed cooling strategy, they would never pass any certification.

No.

PSUs sold in North America and Europe need to pass safety tests. In the absence of guaranteed cooling strategy, they would never pass any certification.

Strongly agree.

DIY and you're on your own.

I can see a possible loophole; design it to be passively cooled up to some low power consumption level, add overheat protection and market it as a low power psu. Or something. :)

Then you may as well shell out for platinum fanless PSUs then.

Differently shaped fanless PSUs would be good, such as long, thin, and any combination of. Silence is expensive.

No.

:D I was trying to make a joke, but now that you mention it - Could there be some kind of design to make exchanging the fan safe (i.e without exposing the user to caps)?

Why don't PSUs come with fan slots instead of fans themselves (they can still include a fan)? Are they afraid people will use the PSU without a fan?

i would guess it takes more space, is more difficult to manufacture, has risks of user breaking psu/their computer/themselves, has (probably) fringe customer base aaand in general would be more expensive.

But thats just me guessing, its not like understand anything about PSU except where to but the cables and whether they are loud or not -_-

Yes, any 120x120x15 fan should fit just fine. The outer measurement of all SFX-L cases so far is 125x130mm, so when subtracting the thickness of the case material there'll still be at least a couple of mm of space around the fan frame.
Oops, for some reason I kept thinking the width of an SFX/SFX-L PSU to be 120mm instead of 125mm. Yeah I guess it should be fine.

All PSU's actually are rated for both passive operation in watts, and active cooling in watts, its just not normally information that is publicly available to consumers. So any PSU can run passively, up to a certain amount, and then if you add the default fan can go up to the advertised wattage. If you do a little digging you can usually find from the OEM's what the passive power output for PSU's is. It's also the same reason why things like the Pico-PSU which is rated for passive operation can run much higher wattages if you put a fan blowing on it.

The problem for PSU manufacturers would be that they could not advertise the actively cooled power output, as there would be little-to-no way to guarantee the end user would be using sufficient cooling with a user-supplied fan. Trying to sell a '50W' PSU for the price of a 600W PSU might not go down too well.
Server PSUs may be rated to require a minimum CFM (or m^3/h) of forced airflow for the rated output, but airflow measurements are beyond the capability of most end-users (particularly once you bring static pressure into the mix).

Yesterday I finished my assembly of Ncase M1.
Now it's only PSU left and I'll be waiting for you to release it.
I'll buy it instantaneously as soon as it's sold in Russian stores (will it ever be sold in Russia?).
For the time being I'm using the standard ATX PSU which is located outside of Ncase M1.

Looks like we're getting closer:

http://www.cowcotland.com/news/45149/alimentation-silverstone-sx500-lg.html

http://www.inpad.com.tw/goods.php?act=view&no=13252

If I'm reading that second link correctly, it's listed for NT$ 3150 (New Taiwan Dollar) or ~$100 USD.

Edit: Fan in that marketing material looks identical to the stock High Power fan though.

if this is only $100 im sold. im really contemplating this or the 600w, but i figure 500w should be good for an OC'd 3570k and 970 in and ncase? really hope it is released by january and it fits ok in the case

Last edited:
if this is only $100 im sold. im really contemplating this or the 600w, but i figure 500w should be good for an OC'd 3570k and 970 in and ncase? really hope it is released by january and it fits ok in the case

We have experimental evidence that it'll fit for a GPU without a backplate but we don't know for sure for a GPU with a backplate. But Necere has raised the PSU by 2mm to cater for it in v3.

We have experimental evidence that it'll fit for a GPU without a backplate but we don't know for sure for a GPU with a backplate. But Necere has raised the PSU by 2mm to cater for it in v3.

yeah im getting the reference 970 and have ordered the v3 too, so hopefully it'll work well because its the last part I need/am deciding on. i might get the 600w first through amazon and see how it is and return it if its really loud.

Looks like we're getting closer:

http://www.cowcotland.com/news/45149/alimentation-silverstone-sx500-lg.html

http://www.inpad.com.tw/goods.php?act=view&no=13252

If I'm reading that second link correctly, it's listed for NT$ 3150 (New Taiwan Dollar) or ~$100 USD.

Edit: Fan in that marketing material looks identical to the stock High Power fan though.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=527&area=en

It's product page still isn't up for some reason. I'm hoping the fan is some old marketing images that haven't been updated yet, or else I guess we'll be looking a better fan for this Silverstone PSU too...

Or maybe there'll be a separate SKU for us "whiny westerners", with a better fan. :)

Or maybe the fan has Magic Pixie Dust Super Silent Bearings (tm).

Why are you all waiting for this ATX when the Chieftec Smart SFX-500GD-C is available since 2 weeks for 79€? What is the difference compared to the Silverstone SX500-LG? The first review of the Chieftec says it's very silent, this is what matters to me, I'm buying it in the next days.

Why are you all waiting for this ATX when the Chieftec Smart SFX-500GD-C is available since 2 weeks for 79€?
No UK sellers for the Cheiftec, and we're waiting to see if Silverstone have replaced the stock fan with something quieter.

Because Silverstone (i.e. Tony Ou) has stated that they've been focusing on getting it as silent at possible (or at least using a better fan), after the noise complaints with the SX600-G, and have delayed the release due to this.

Whether the Chieftec fan is good enough I can't say, but I remain skeptical until proven wrong. It's pretty common that reviews state that something is "silent", when it really isn't.

Last edited:
It's pretty common that reviews state that something is "silent", when it really isn't.

I'd like to add that even with decibel numbers provided, sound is a highly subjective matter that should not be glossed over with "silent" or "quiet."

Whether the Chieftec fan is good enough I can't say, but I remain skeptical until proven wrong. It's pretty common that reviews state that something is "silent", when it really isn't.
This.

I'm having my doubts how the GlobeFan fan from the OEM version could ever be any good:

bpic_2371.png

Look at that huge hub and those tiny blades !

Compared to Silverstone's own slim fan (unknown if used in their PSU):

0FMqYp3.jpg

If they do decide to go with that crappy GlobeFan fan, I'm just getting the cheapest 500W SFX-L I can find and replace the fan with an alternative one.

The fan looks good. Could be better than the chieftec one.

I got my Chieftec SFX-L for a Week now and the fan could be better.

view_image__42551_zoom.jpg

This fan looks the same as this cooler master slim 120, a very good fan by the way.

Hey guys I just noticed the product page is live now! :D:D

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=527&area=en

EDIT: Also check out the fan they used!

Z6wzjo8.png

hope to god that means its released quickly. I really cant decide between this and the 600w and would love to get some reviews and see how it fits in the ncase. I think 500w would be fine for Oc'd 3770k and Oc'd 970 so this is really looking the like the one to get over the 600w

Hey guys I just noticed the product page is live now! :D:D

Just came in to post the same :)

As much as I would really love a quieter and/or better sounding PSU, after buying a noisy ST45SF-G and a slightly less noisy SX600-G, I'm still slightly skeptical and will try my best to hold off for some reviews before giving this company another $100+. The phrase "throwing good money after bad" comes to mind.

I'm throwing money at the screen but nothing happens !!

Fan specs IF it's the CM ExtraFlo Slim 120:
EDIT: it's most likely an OEM fan that CM and Akasa both use, but customized

Speed: 500 (920) - 1,600 (1480) RPM ± 10%
Air Flow: 17.4 - 58.4 CFM ± 10%
Air pressure: 0.18 - 1.76 mmH2O
Fan Life Expectancy: 40,000 hrs
Noise: 8 - 30 dBA
Bearing Type: Long Life Sleeve
Connector: 4-Pin (2-Pïn)
Voltage: 12 VDC
Current (Ampere): 0.16A
Power Consumption: 1.92W
Weight: 79g (0.17lb)

Compared to the GlobeFan B1201512L:

Speed: ??? - 1,500 RPM ± 10%
Air Flow: ??? - 48.6 CFM ± 10%
Air pressure: ??? - 1.33 mmH2O
Fan Life Expectancy: ???
Noise: ??? - 27.3 dBA
Bearing Type: Ball Bearing
Connector: 2-Pin
Voltage: 12 VDC
Current (Ampere): 0.20A
Power Consumption: 2.40W
Weight: 124g

Red text = Silverstone's info

All in all I'm thankful they didn't went with the seemingly inefficient GlobeFan fan and I'm amazed they went with a retail quality fan.

Last edited:
Thanks Italianguy and cznv, I've updated the OP.

Sleeve bearing should make for a quiet fan.

Flowmotion said:
The fan looks good. Could be better than the Chieftec one.
I got my Chieftec SFX-L for a Week now and the fan could be better.
I assume this is the "new" Chieftec SFX-500GD-C model?

While this supply is designed in EU, it is mfg. in China. Released in October 2014 (EU).
http://www.chieftec.eu/en/psus/smart-series/sfx-500gd-c.html

SFX-500GD-C Dimensions (WxHxD): 125 mm x 64 mm x 125 mm
This 500 watt model is 80 Plus GOLD. Anyone know what 120 mm fan was used?

Wonder how different or similar to Silverstone product?

Last edited:
Back