Shuttle XPC G5 and more...

spencers said:
I want one of those LCDs :)

i rember looking at the specs of the shuttle xpc LCD and its upwards of 25ms+ ?

ok, now is almost the time to sell my sn45g, i need faster!!!!!!!

The G5 cases are pretty good (definately a step up from those ugly G4 cases).

Im wondering what they're going to do with the socket754 line. The SN85G4 is already out, and they've already announced the SK83G. Doesnt make sense to release two XPCs based on 'deadend' technology... Im thinking the SK83G might just be scrapped (since it hasnt been released yet).

I was going to pick up the SB75G2v2 or the SB75S, but after seeing those somewhat attractive G5 cases (they're still growing on me), I think I might wait until the end of August/September to buy one.

And the best thing... they come w/ 350W powersupplies.

r3negade said:
The G5 cases are pretty good (definately a step up from those ugly G4 cases).

And the best thing... they come w/ 350W powersupplies.
Yea, in our dreams they do. The 350W PSUs only come with the P series of Shuttle cases, the G5 will probably ship with the new 240W one, but that hardly bothers me. If anyone paid attention during the Tech Report's review of the X800 series, none of their loaded systems ever used more than 200W, even under load. Notwithstanding issues of PSU efficiency and spikes in power use, there's little reason to hunger for more wattage.

I have to say though, the G5 cases looks absolutely spiffy! I say cases, but really it's the front of it that I love so much, wish they would make the wire mesh sides an option on all cases. They did however switch to a 90mm fan, at least for the P4 cases, which is excellent news.

yeah I just saw that. I would of liked the 350W in the G5 though.

The question is now... how long until they get here?
I mean the SK83G was announced in Feb/Mar and it isnt even released yet. The SN45Gv2 isnt in the States yet either.

I'd give them a couple of months. But you never know - Shuttle are like the graphics companies, you get a load of teasing and then there's a fineprint somewhere saying 'no availability until next fiscal quarter.'

Personally, I just want an SN95G5 in August and nothing else. They're using the 250Gb version of the nForce chipset, which has the fun features, while performance is all about the CPU anyway. AMD are going to do nothing drastic in the next year or two, just ramping up the clocks, and slowly at that, since Intel is positively lost. DDR2 memory won't be worth buying for at least two years - considering the improved performance/price ratio. While others have been hesitant about PCI-E I still think its very much worth having one of those slots on your computer if you plan on using it for a few years. Mmm, and a SATA optical drive, yeup, that would officially be the perfect little machine. :)

r3negade said:
Im wondering what they're going to do with the socket754 line. The SN85G4 is already out, and they've already announced the SK83G. Doesnt make sense to release two XPCs based on 'deadend' technology... Im thinking the SK83G might just be scrapped (since it hasnt been released yet).

I don't think that I would call the socket754 a "deadend" technology, if im reading what AMD is saying right now correctly (and I may not be) the socket 754 seems to be where they are migrating their "budget" line of processors, which is a market where, historically Shuttle has had a presence in their XPC line. I would be surprised if we dont see the SK83G very soon.

Also on this topic, I e-mailed Shuttle on this topic a while back, and they confirmed that they would be releasing a Socket 754 XPC based on the NForce 3 250 chipset.

So for my money, I think that we will be seeing the SK83G (or whatever they end up calling it)

Dan

Back