Shouldn't 850W be enough? Faulty PSU?

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
I'm running an EVGA FTW3 3090 on the "normal" bios and have a 5950x without PBO or any additional boosting enabled. The only other component I have in my system is a 2TB NVMe drive, a 240mm AIO, and several case fans. My PSU is an EVGA 850W Supernova Gold PSU that I got from the "B-stock" a couple weeks ago.

I was playing through AC: Valhalla: Wrath of the Druids and when I made it into a fort and tried to use the predator bow, my computer shut off. I have to cycle the switch on the back of the PSU before it will boot again. I can fairly easily replicate this behavior, and other parts of the game have no issues. I loaded up 3dMark, and did a stress test, and my computer shuts off before even 1 pass of TimeSpy completes.

Do you think it's a faulty 850W PSU or do I just need more power?

Even if I'm pulling 400-450W with the card, my settings only have the CPU at around 150W, and the other components shouldn't be anywhere near 250W left over. Kind of makes me wonder if it's a faulty PSU.

I'm running an EVGA FTW3 3090 on the "normal" bios and have a 5950x without PBO or any additional boosting enabled. The only other component I have in my system is a 2TB NVMe drive, a 240mm AIO, and several case fans. My PSU is an EVGA 850W Supernova Gold PSU that I got from the "B-stock" a couple weeks ago.

I was playing through AC: Valhalla: Wrath of the Druids and when I made it into a fort and tried to use the predator bow, my computer shut off. I have to cycle the switch on the back of the PSU before it will boot again. I can fairly easily replicate this behavior, and other parts of the game have no issues. I loaded up 3dMark, and did a stress test, and my computer shuts off before even 1 pass of TimeSpy completes.

Do you think it's a faulty 850W PSU or do I just need more power?

Even if I'm pulling 400-450W with the card, my settings only have the CPU at around 150W, and the other components shouldn't be anywhere near 250W left over. Kind of makes me wonder if it's a faulty PSU.
no thats enough juice, min for the card is 750. id suspect that you got a bum b-stock. OR its just overly sensitive and is trippin out.
edit: theres a reddit post about the same psu doing the same thing with a 3090, guys old TT 850 ran it fine. might be the over sensitivity thing. theres also an LLT post about them trippin OCP in some psus.

Last edited:
How old is the power supply, and is it 850 on the 12v rail or total power?

i just edit my post. might want to try another brand or model...

I have another EVGA 1200W platinum sitting here that I was going to use for something else, but I guess I could swap that in and see if it makes a difference (I would be very surprised if it didn't fix my problem).

I have another EVGA 1200W platinum sitting here that I was going to use for something else, but I guess I could swap that in and see if it makes a difference (I would be very surprised if it didn't fix my problem).
thats handy! id just hook it up beside the case, easiest way to check. then install it or replace the evga but do some googling for problem units and avoid 'em.

thats handy! id just hook it up beside the case, easiest way to check. then install it or replace the evga but do some googling for problem units and avoid 'em.

It definitely seems like it's an issue with this PSU and the 3XXX series cards for whatever reason. I guess EVGA was replacing some with the G+ instead of the GA.

I swapped in the 1200W Platinum one and have had no issues. I'll see if EVGA can send me out a different 850W.

I swapped in the 1200W Platinum one and have had no issues. I'll see if EVGA can send me out a different 850W.
test that unit with one of those power testers (kiliwatt or what ever) i be curiouse what that pc pulls running cpu and gpu stress tests at same time

test that unit with one of those power testers (kiliwatt or what ever) i be curiouse what that pc pulls running cpu and gpu stress tests at same time

I'll pick one up and post back. I think it is just the random incompatibility with that GA model, but maybe I'm drawing too much.

Your PSU model might have issues with high transient power spikes that GPUs like this one have, causing the overcurrent protection to kick in and shut down the PSU.

https://forums.evga.com/We-need-to-...RTX-3080-or-3090-and-is-WORKING-m3118557.aspx
https://linustechtips.com/topic/125...issues-problems-and-solutions-as-of-30092020/
etc.
thats what i was thinking and that LTT link is the one i saw/referenced. the psu is probably fine but the spikes trip it out.

thats what i was thinking and that LTT link is the one i saw/referenced. the psu is probably fine but the spikes trip it out.
Ironically I'm having the same issue with a Seasonic Focus Plus albeit with a much less power-hungry CPU/GPU, but considering the symptoms are the same I figured OP might be facing it too.

Ironically I'm having the same issue with a Seasonic Focus Plus albeit with a much less power-hungry CPU/GPU, but considering the symptoms are the same I figured OP might be facing it too.

I'm thinking that has to be it. It will play for a little while sometimes for long periods, but if I do something like use eagle vision in AC: Valhalla, it shuts off.

The 1200W P2 works flawlessly. Shame though. I wanted to save that for a different build.

I sent a message to EVGA support to see what they suggest. I'm guessing they are going to tell me that 850W isn't enough for my setup and their PSU is fine.

I'm thinking that has to be it. It will play for a little while sometimes for long periods, but if I do something like use eagle vision in AC: Valhalla, it shuts off.

The 1200W P2 works flawlessly. Shame though. I wanted to save that for a different build.

I sent a message to EVGA support to see what they suggest. I'm guessing they are going to tell me that 850W isn't enough for my setup and their PSU is fine.
well their min recommended is a 750w, so they shouldnt say its not enough. hopefully they are aware of it by now and will swap you to another model or offer a full refund so you can buy another model.

1621880305917.png

It's a really strange situation. I can play Warzone or Quake Champions for hours on end, fully taxing the GPU, with no problems. On the other hand, within an hour of playing Tomb Raider (2013, so presumably more CPU-limited) I get the shutdown. Furmark? Instant shutdown.

I suppose applications tax different parts of the silicon differently, causing variable instantaneous loads, some of which the PSU can handle, some of which it can't.

well their min recommended is a 750w, so they shouldnt say its not enough. hopefully they are aware of it by now and will swap you to another model or offer a full refund so you can buy another model.

View attachment 359426

I'm kind of on EVGA's s*** list though lol. My account was flagged because of a step up from a 3070 to a 3090. I had to email the service manager just to be able to submit an inquiry about my power supply.

I just had an evga 600w psu die on me the other day. Would not be surprised if the poor quality EVGA PSU is the cause.

I just submitted the RMA request so I'm betting it's just a random incompatibility with the video card.

Generally I've had pretty good luck with their 850 gold and above power supplies.

I just hooked up an APC battery backup to it that monitors the load. When I was running AC: Valhalla, I was pulling ~610W peak and more often in the 550W range. I'm guessing it was when I was peaking that it was shutting off. Should still have been plenty. Hopefully EVGA doesn't send me back a dud.

I just hooked up an APC battery backup to it that monitors the load. When I was running AC: Valhalla, I was pulling ~610W peak and more often in the 550W range. I'm guessing it was when I was peaking that it was shutting off. Should still have been plenty. Hopefully EVGA doesn't send me back a dud.
It makes we wonder if my EVGA supply would pull thru? Is this your supply from bstock? https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-850-g3-psu,4930.html

It is not the same. Mine is the 850 Supernova GA. I'm sure it's just from a different supplier than the G2/G3, etc. I guess a lot of people have issues with the spikes causing over voltage protection kicking on and shutting down the PC even though it is well within spec.

its not a steady load/wattage thing, its the spikes tripping OCP

its not a steady load/wattage thing, its the spikes tripping OCP

True but I don't think that I'm going to see 250 w spikes. When I say it was tripping at spikes in the 610 watt range, the steady draw was about 575.

True but I don't think that I'm going to see 250 w spikes. When I say it was tripping at spikes in the 610 watt range, the steady draw was about 575.

https://www.igorslab.de/en/nvidia-g...-and-common-decadence-if-price-is-not-all/16/
3090 FE has <1ms spikes of ~570W (this is just the GPU alone), whereas 20ms+ averages are ~360W. It's entirely possible that it spikes that high, especially with the FTW3.

Your UPS isn't going to show you instantaneous power draw, maybe a rolling 1s average.

Even if it does spike at 570 W, I still think I'm falling under 850W total system draw.

I mean I can't be the only person running a 3090 on a 850 watt power supply. It seems to me like it is more likely that it is a design issue with that particular model. I am too lazy to hook it all up again and try it with a 3080 to test my theory though.

I'd like to put the 850 back in though when I get it back. I want the 1200 w for a different project.

I mean I can't be the only person running a 3090 on a 850 watt power supply. It seems to me like it is more likely that it is a design issue with that particular model. I am too lazy to hook it all up again and try it with a 3080 to test my theory though.

It's a combination of both. GPU with inadequate power regulation combined with a PSU with inadequate power regulation.

Regardless, when you get your new PSU, swap the cables too even if they might appear identical.

you meter is not fast enough to catch the millisecond spikes, you need an oscope like nobu mentioned.

I'd like to put the 850 back in though when I get it back. I want the 1200 w for a different project.
youre not, and youre not the only one having issues, otherwise i wouldnt know about it...
if you get a different model, use it.

Even if it does spike at 570 W, I still think I'm falling under 850W total system draw.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a true 850W PSU to run a 3090. If a PSU is rated for 850 continuous watts, it's supposed to be able to handle brief transients above that, if those ratings are to mean anything at all. I've been running 2 GPUs at 275 watts each, and an overclocked 5960X on a 1000W EVGA GQ for the last 6 years without a hiccup. I would say that the PSU was just defective.

Just received my replacement Seasonic PX-650 and it works like a charm, so I have hope for OP (assuming EVGA also had a similar design flaw that they fixed in later revisions of that PSU).

Last edited:
Just received my replacement Seasonic PX-650 and it works like a charm, so I have hope for OP (assuming EVGA also had a similar design flaw that they fixed in later revisions of that PSU).

I boxed it up I'm going to try to get it out tomorrow. So probably two weeks I will know.

I'm having the same problem with a 3090 FE and Seasonic Prime 850 Platinum. It just trips the OCP at the oddest times, not even under heavy load, and I have to reset the PSU with the switch. I cannot reproduce it with Furmark, 3D Mark or Heaven, but loading into Star Wars Squadron will trip it and I have had it happen during early gameplay in Star Wars Squadrons and Witcher III.

Seasonic's power calulator said I need 1000 watts and I believe there is an issue with so called transient spikes from the graphics card. Apparently Seasonic calculated the spikes are quite significant. It seems wrong to need a 1000 watt PSU for this card but that is what Seasonic's calculator recommends for me!

I just got the replacement and I was thinking of swapping it out to see if it does the same thing at the same place. I can recreate that issue pretty easily. Hopefully it has no issues.

I just got the replacement and I was thinking of swapping it out to see if it does the same thing at the same place. I can recreate that issue pretty easily. Hopefully it has no issues.
what did you end up with?

Back