should I trade my RX 5700 for a 2070 Super?

Retrograde

n00b
i'm thinking of getting rid of my gaming rig and just moving to a Egpu setup with an RTX 2070 super and a 2018 Mac mini 6 core with 32gb ram. i know i'll take a hit in performance.
My gaming rig currently has a MSI Mech OC RX 5700 non-XT. i just wonder if the performance hit will be that significant. the reason i ask is that nvidia cards have better bootcamp compatibility but macos recognizes the RX 5700 natively.

re-sale on the rest of your components isn't going to be major. So unless you need the cash.... I would keep the gaming PC. But still trade for the 2070 super. Its got a great hardware video encoder, decent RTX performance. DLSS. Nvidia broadcast. etc.

*additionally, the cost of parts to make Egpu work, will likely eat most/all of the money you make from selling the other components.

i doubt anybody would trade a 2070 super for a RX 5700. i already have the egpu enclosure. the parts in the gaming PC are a Asus Rog Strix B360i gaming, i7 8700 non k with an AIO, 16gb ram. i could at least get a couple hundred bucks right?

i have the gaming pc with the RX 5700. I also have the EGPU enclosure. i want to get rid of the gaming pc except for the RX 5700 and trade it for a 2070 super to use in bootcamp for gaming.

ok.

RX 5700 may be desirable for miners. So...you might have some luck on a trade.

Alternatively, try to buy a 3060 at a decent price. Then sell the 5700.

i'm thinking of getting rid of my gaming rig and just moving to a Egpu setup with an RTX 2070 super and a 2018 Mac mini 6 core with 32gb ram. i know i'll take a hit in performance.
My gaming rig currently has a MSI Mech OC RX 5700 non-XT. i just wonder if the performance hit will be that significant. the reason i ask is that nvidia cards have better bootcamp compatibility but macos recognizes the RX 5700 natively.
I sold my 5700 non XT for $900 on ebay in about 4 minutes. 5700s are very popular for mining.

Don't understand how can Nvidia have better BootCamp compatibility. It's literally not supported by Apple. It may be that Nvidia drivers work better than Apple provided AMD drivers. However you can just install AMD drivers directly in Windows.

p.s. If you do want to make that trade you can probably get a 2080 Super or 3060ti. 5700 is worth quite a bit for mining.

Don't understand how can Nvidia have better BootCamp compatibility. It's literally not supported by Apple. It may be that Nvidia drivers work better than Apple provided AMD drivers. However you can just install AMD drivers directly in Windows.

p.s. If you do want to make that trade you can probably get a 2080 Super or 3060ti. 5700 is worth quite a bit for mining.
Yes, nvidia drivers work better under windows with a egpu. I can’t trade here on [H] yet. I sure am not going to Craigslist.

i have the gaming pc with the RX 5700. I also have the EGPU enclosure. i want to get rid of the gaming pc except for the RX 5700 and trade it for a 2070 super to use in bootcamp for gaming.
Have you really looked into gaming in boot camp? I asked because I did the same thing. Egpu, 5700 gpu, etc. turned out getting everything to work properly was a major hassle. I kept hearing that on the mac forums. Even people who had the exact same setups were getting different results. Apple pretty much said, we didn’t intend to spend time supporting gaming in boot camp. The egpu setup worked as it should in the Apple OS. So the community had hundreds of pages supporting and talking about it. In the end my time is worth something. I have a dedicated windows gaming machine and my stuff does what it does best, most things besides gaming.

yessir I gamed on a 2016 MacBook Pro and a GTX 1070 for a couple of years. I Started out with an RX 580 and boot camp support was trash. I sold the RX 580 and got a 1070 and it cleared up the boot camp gaming issues. The bottleneck is pretty bad. The RX 580 couldn’t do 1440p which was the sweet spot to take the load off the CPU. The 1070 did a lot better.

Back