Shane's Entertainment center shelf overhaul

Hallis

Supreme [H]ardness
Backstory:

My girlfriend sends me a text from Home Depot saying she saw those wire stacking shelves. She wanted to know if I wanted her to pick me up some as I was planning on putting a set in my bedroom to stack boxes, spare hardware, 12-packs of Soda, etc. on. She knows the space I was planning on putting them in and I'd given her measurements. (basically 38" wide by 21" deep max) Well when she shows up at my house later that afternoon she shows me the box and it's the small shelves. Turns out she wasn't paying attention and thought the 36" high measurement was the width. lol. She's been known to make those kinds of mistakes. I eventually got the correct size shelves myself to remedy this.

A few days ago I got to thinking. Hmmm.. If I bought a second set of these small shelves I could stagger them and replace the old as hell, ugly wooden entertainment center shelves in my bedroom. So yesterday we stopped by Home Depot and picked up another set of the small ones. Spent about 45 minutes putting them together, and then about another 45 minutes moving the gear over from one to the other. And the results were AWESOME. Not only does this look a lot cleaner but the gear will stay cooler thanks to good airflow from underneath, and. If you notice between the before and after shots, now I have full access to my AC Vent in the floor, which is also a help.

I used 2 of these shelve kits and they were each $20, I call it an uber-win.

I know this isn't 100% HTPC related since I just use a Popcorn Hour A-200 but It might have some bearing on for College students and/or those looking for something very versatile.

So let me know what you think. There's still some minor tidying up to do but you get the idea.

Before:
before.jpg

After:
after.jpg

Looks a lot more modern and industrial. I like it. Does that floor vent heat up that bottom component at all now? It would work great for additional cooling when the air conditioning is on but what about the extra heat in the winter? I'm not sure what that component is or if it would even be sensitive to heat, just a thought I had while looking at it.

the bottom device is actually a surge protector with trays for CD/DVD's

Link

It's a pretty nifty little thing.

Ive got the vent vains pointed toward the middle of the room so when the heat does eventually get turned on this winter it won't effect anything. I have noticed, though, over the last few days that when I get home from work it is cooler in my bedroom since there is now a full AC vent blowing rather than half of one.

shane

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Grab yourself a pack of velcro strips at Staples for cheap. Makes keeping wires neat really easy with those wire racks.

Grab yourself a pack of velcro strips at Staples for cheap. Makes keeping wires neat really easy with those wire racks.

I'd thought about that. I'd already used Zip Ties to shorten the cables to keep the back as clean as it can be. Worked out well enough.

don't you get bothered by glare from the tv? i would be freaking out if i kept seeing the light shine off the silver bars.

don't you get bothered by glare from the tv? i would be freaking out if i kept seeing the light shine off the silver bars.

I ususally watch from my bed. and the glare doesn't show from there because of the angle.

Back