"ShadowHammer" malware found in Asus update, among others

Nobu

[H]F Junkie
Kaspersky found malware being distributed by Asus update software with legitimate certificates, and says users of other vendors' software are also at risk, Forbes reports:

The motivations for the malware attack are unclear, but it apparently targeted only 600 specific MAC addresses. Once found, the attack would escalate to install more software to further compromise the system.
- Jason Evangelho (contributor, Forbes)

Edit: Please keep discussion limited to the story as much as possible. Try not to start an OS war. >_>

Edit: Please keep discussion limited to the story as much as possible. Try not to start an OS war. >_>

You give root to something, OS doesn't matter- and all are targeted.

And owning an ASUS laptop that gets updates through their software (particularly BIOS), this is something that I'm following.

Reactions: Nobu
like this
I reformatted my ASUS laptop a couple years ago and at present, I don't think any ASUS software resides on the machine. This is something I need to check into just to be sure.

You give root to something, OS doesn't matter- and all are targeted.

And owning an ASUS laptop that gets updates through their software (particularly BIOS), this is something that I'm following.
I agree. I just don't want that discussion here. We have an OS subforum, as well as genmay, if ranting about your (least) favorite OS is something you enjoy. ;)

Back