Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Epic Store 09/01- 09/08)

Great price at free, has all of the DLC if I am not mistaken so even if you own this elsewhere might be worth grabbing. Game is already four years old though, makes me wonder when the next game will be.

Great price at free, has all of the DLC if I am not mistaken so even if you own this elsewhere might be worth grabbing. Game is already four years old though, makes me wonder when the next game will be.

I already have the game on Steam but I picked up the free one on Epic for that reason- I only have the base game on Steam while this version comes with all the DLC

Great game. I get that some didn't like that the puzzles were "simpler" than the other games, but man I loved the story and art in this game. If you haven't played take advantage of it.

Great game. I get that some didn't like that the puzzles were "simpler" than the other games, but man I loved the story and art in this game. If you haven't played take advantage of it.
I only play a little of the 1st one, been play GTA Online too much.

The first was by far the best, but the last gets a bad rap. It was better than it was criticized.
I agree that the first was the best by far. It felt like a non-stop ride through the story which kept pushing you on with little or no filler. The second game started adding filler to pad out the story but was still decent. The third was full of filler and felt like they were intentionally trying to keep you from the story. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is not a bad game but the enjoyment I got out of it was a pale shadow of what I got from the first game.

I already had the base edition but just grabbed this one because it was the "definitive" edition lol

I agree that the first was the best by far. It felt like a non-stop ride through the story which kept pushing you on with little or no filler. The second game started adding filler to pad out the story but was still decent. The third was full of filler and felt like they were intentionally trying to keep you from the story. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is not a bad game but the enjoyment I got out of it was a pale shadow of what I got from the first game.
The first game was kind of amazing if I remember correctly. I never played any of the sequels, just havent had time... Im still over here trying to squeeze time in to finish the Witcher 3 lol.

I really liked the "extra" in Shadow. It only added to the story. The history of a place that is known to have existed in history but is not found yet today. So all the mythology based on some level of history just sucked me in. History nerd, so maybe that's why I enjoyed it. ;)

Exactly this. The first is one of my favorite games in the past decade. Shadow was playable but just average and fairly forgettable. The odd pacing of upgrades and story was a problem too. But for free it is 100% worth it.

What was the first tomb raiders name? Which year was it made? A lot of positive reviews here about that game rather than the game suggested in this thread lol

I still liked the first one better. I keep trying to get into this one but it doesn't grab me for some reason.

3rd game was a big step down from the first 2 games...Crystal Dynamics was the developer for the first 2 games while Eidos Montreal took over for the 3rd game...still a decent game but it was missing something that made the first 2 games so good

3rd game was a big step down from the first 2 games...Crystal Dynamics was the developer for the first 2 games while Eidos Montreal took over for the 3rd game...still a decent game but it was missing something that made the first 2 games so good
I think they tried to make it more "open world" with more time wasting activities only tangentially related to the main story. That can be bad enough on its own but what makes it worse is the main story is made out to be rather time sensitive with little time to spare on anything. And yet the game continually pushes you to do a bunch of side quests with little or no bearing on the main story.

The second game did something similar but nowhere near as egregious and the main plot wasn't as time sensitive. Still, neither one is even close to how tightly written the story and even side quests were in the first game. It was a shorter game but much more interesting and satisfying.

Back