SFF options for a developer

Spun Ducky

Gawd
I am a developer that mainly works in C/C++/GoLang/Python/x86 Assembly. I more recently have gotten involved in a Java based android application. Android studio absolutely chugs on my thinkpad T440s and my power bill cries from my dual socket workstation. I want to get a power efficient but still powerful enough SFF system.

I am currently looking at some of the bean canyon nucs, Asrock Deskmini 310w with 8700, or ideas on roll your own comparable systems. So if there is any case or prebuilts I am overlooking please let me know.

Does it have to be Intel...?

ASRock has the Deskmini A300 barebones coming out in less than a month...

It will fit a Ryzen APU, up to 32GB RAM (two SO-DIMMs), two M.2 NVMe SSDs, & two 2.5" HDD/SSDs...

All in a 6" x 6" x 3" chassis, 1.9 liters (not including the external 120W power brick)...

The barebones is 120 bucks; add a Ryzen 5 2400G APU, 16GB of DDR4-2933 RAM, & 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD; you are looking at about 550 bucks shipped from Newegg...

I have no opposition to AMD. I will have to look into the release date on that AMD deskmini a bit more. Thank you

I agree with Boil. If cost and size matters, its a really good option. Here's a link to some more information.
ASRock-3.jpg

ASRock-1.jpg

That said if you need the best CPU performance, a 2400G would be outclassed by a similar or better Intel CPU (clockspeed and higher core counts)

The 2400G would have superior graphics performance on the other hand if you we're trying to avoid a sperate GPU.

You should also check Intel's Nucs which feature AMD graphics. Those are about the best all around if money is not an object.

from what i understand intel has the best C++ compilers and tools? maybe check on that first.

used skull canyon nucs are pretty cheap these days, its a fantastic super-portable machine that will give you good power usage to power balance.

otherwise a deskmini with 65w chip (7700 non k, etc.) will be cheap and powerful but use a bit more power

I ended up getting the 8th gen NUC NUC8i5BEH. I threw in 32gb of ram and a 500gb ssd. It has been perfect for my use speed wise. I may pick up a second one or a deskmini to play around with as well. I will for sure upgrade once the ghost canyon stuff comes out or amd drops some higher core count mini pcs.

Back