SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

All I know is that with displayport alt half the usb c connectors are used for video transmission and the other half are used for USB power. I'm assuming that both of these monitors get around that by using one cable for video and another for power.

I sell usb c to hdmi adapters here at Target so I'm pretty sure hdmi to usb c can work. I already used a dp to hdmi cord before to utilize an hdmi monitor as a 2nd screen.
the acer one say it is power by the mini but the msi doesnt have mini so i'd assume power over usbc. also, i missed that the msi has speakers built in. not sure if that matters to you...

I
the acer one say it is power by the mini but the msi doesnt have mini so i'd assume power over usbc. also, i missed that the msi has speakers built in. not sure if that matters to you...

Nay the Acer says power over micro USB.

I'll def look into both more when necessary. I have a backpack that can def carry around the Sentry.

I'm planning on rebuilding my 1.1 sentry soon. The screws are a bit of a pain, but it's a sturdy little thing. It's not 2.0 but I still love the thing.

Do ya'll think this card can fit sentry 1.1?

Form Factor & Dimensions
Form Factor ITX
Max GPU Length 170 mm
Card Dimensions (L x H) 6.69" x 4.78"
Slot Width Dual Slot

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-gef...oc-6gd/p/N82E16814932234?item=N82E16814932234

Looks good to me, but check the manual pg 22 to be sure. http://zaber.com.pl/sentry/manual.pdf

I have a Zotac 1060 AMP which is a compact card, but slightly larger (210mm x 128mm ) than your Gigabyte 1660 Super (170mm x 121.3mm), and it fits my Sentry 1.1 just fine.

Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: Morzy
like this
Morzy

Have you seen this monitor? Hdmi and Usb-C. Not sure if it's this particular one but I think this company also makes one with a battery built in for one less cord to worry about.

Morzy

Have you seen this monitor? Hdmi and Usb-C. Not sure if it's this particular one but I think this company also makes one with a battery built in for one less cord to worry about.

I haven't. There are a few things that stand out from that Amazon link most notably the lack of screen response time and any model number to further investigate. I see the Acer monitor on sale at micro center for $129, so I may take a trip over to Detroit when the world isn't topsy turney. I'm expecting portable monitors to be rather unreliable or at least less so than their desktop monitor counterparts.. Buying from a rando amazon 3rd party doesn't give me confidence.

I haven't. There are a few things that stand out from that Amazon link most notably the lack of screen response time and any model number to further investigate. I see the Acer monitor on sale at micro center for $129, so I may take a trip over to Detroit when the world isn't topsy turney. I'm expecting portable monitors to be rather unreliable or at least less so than their desktop monitor counterparts.. Buying from a rando amazon 3rd party doesn't give me confidence.

I have a feeling any usb powered panel is going to be pretty weak on brightness and response time. There's probably only a few panels with such a low power draw available, there's a good chance they're all using the same panel from LG, sharp, Panasonic, whoever actually makes it.

I looked into getting a portable monitor for my Sentry PCs a while back but gave up when I realized I don't NEED it. Wanted to look like a boss at LAN parties and such but then all my friends had kids. No Lan parties now 😑

Good luck shopping, hope you find one that works well.

Sorry if this was already asked/answered:

Does anyone has experience with either the ASRock RX5700 Challenger (https://www.asrock.com/Graphics-Card/AMD/Radeon RX 5700 Challenger D 8G OC/index.us.asp) or the PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 (https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1565845929)? I'm currently looking for a replacement for my old GTX970 and this seem to be the only custom RX5700 cards that fit..

I would be interested in how loud the cards are and how in general the cooling performs in the Sentry. Really appreciate if anyone can share their experience or opinion regarding these cards :)

I have a feeling any usb powered panel is going to be pretty weak on brightness and response time. There's probably only a few panels with such a low power draw available, there's a good chance they're all using the same panel from LG, sharp, Panasonic, whoever actually makes it.

I looked into getting a portable monitor for my Sentry PCs a while back but gave up when I realized I don't NEED it. Wanted to look like a boss at LAN parties and such but then all my friends had kids. No Lan parties now 😑

Good luck shopping, hope you find one that works well.

Haha aww. Yeah you make a good point. It just so happens that my original mobo choice ended up taking so long to ship (3rd party Newegg) that I bought another one that can support Thunderbolt 3 displays.
https://www.newegg.com/asrock-x570-phantom-gaming-itx-tb3/p/N82E16813157891?item=N82E16813157891

I'm probably gonna buy that Acer monitor from microcenter and see if they'll have some insurance plans cause yeah portable monitors are sketchy in general.

I think I will use it. I spent a lot of time pre pandemic chilling at a local cafe.

Sentry is back online! Note I have no gpu yet to choke with this orientation xD. 3200g.

Also yeah I may as well rethink sff gpu unless I wanna watercool..only able to utilize 2/4 Sata ports.

Fixing the riser card into the mobo was a nightmare per usual.. It never wants to get in the slot without a little banging and a towel to absorb some shock..

Attachments

• 20200429_192700.jpg
    20200429_192700.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200429_203136.jpg
    20200429_203136.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Ej24
like this
I was moving my PC recently and it accidently got knocked over. The Pc is fine, the case is fine, but one of the plastic tabs on the side cracked.

I'm looking for a local replacement for this part -- however I'm not sure what to look for. Is there some formal spec or name of the part I can use while looking?
IMG_20210505_235630-COLLAGE.jpg

Last edited:
I was moving my PC recently and it accidently got knocked over. The Pc is fine, the case is fine, but one of the plastic tabs on the side cracked.

I'm looking for a local replacement for this part -- however I'm not sure what to look for. Is there some formal spec or name of the part I can use while looking?
View attachment 359277
8 mm hole plugs. This is a generic item. Pull the broken piece out and check the other dimensions for yourself. The outer diameter was something like 12 mm and it shouldn't go inside more than 8 mm.

I have 3 new, still in box Sentry 2.0 cases. I'm looking to do a build. Adobe CS, heavy vector/raster design work. Need 64 or 128gb of ram. Samsung 980 nvme, ideally board with 2 nvme slots. Need high core count CPU, Looking to max out the case basically with the best hardware you can get right now. GPU would need to handle large resolution raster and art, maybe some 4k vid editing.

Most builds for this case are from 2019 and early 2021.

My last sentry build was a v1.1 and I used an i7 8700 with a 970 evga. I delidded it, used LM, got the copper lid. Also used copper heatsink with noctua fan mod. I want to see if I can squeeze more power with today's latest cpus.
I'm not opposed to going to AMD. Whatever CPU provides less heat while providing more power is ideal.

Last edited:
I have 3 new, still in box Sentry 2.0 cases. I'm looking to do a build. Adobe CS, heavy vector/raster design work. Need 64 or 128gb of ram. Samsung 980 nvme, ideally board with 2 nvme slots. Need high core count CPU, Looking to max out the case basically with the best hardware you can get right now. GPU would need to handle large resolution raster and art, maybe some 4k vid editing.

Most builds for this case are from 2019 and early 2021.

My last sentry build was a v1.1 and I used an i7 8700 with a 970 evga. I delidded it, used LM, got the copper lid. Also used copper heatsink with noctua fan mod. I want to see if I can squeeze more power with today's latest cpus.
I'm not opposed to going to AMD. Whatever CPU provides less heat while providing more power is ideal.

It's tough -- I recently upgraded my itx system built into a Silverstone RVZ01 with an Intel 10600k due to heat/power constraints. The Ryzen CPUs use less power but are still pretty darn hot when you get to the 5800x and up. Ryzen 5600X would probably be a good option -- the 10600K/11600K also would work if a 6 core/12 thread CPU is sufficient.

The Alder Lake 12600K looks super impressive -- would possibly be a good choice once itx boards become more available!

Back