SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

Guys, is there any possibility that first batch production will start earlier because of single black and white cases will be sold out ?

Guys, is there any possibility that first batch production will start earlier because of single black and white cases will be sold out ?

Only if we close campaign earlier by selling out all the perks, I think. Apart from that, we've got predicted first funds disbursement date on the week of February 12th.

It is also around that time when we can start ordering USB 3.0 cables that are sourced from China since they are celebrating Chinese new year around now till something like half of February.

Only if we close campaign earlier by selling out all the perks, I think. Apart from that, we've got predicted first funds disbursement date on the week of February 12th.

It is also around that time when we can start ordering USB 3.0 cables that are sourced from China since they are celebrating Chinese new year around now till something like half of February.

All perks including "long run"?
It will be a long month...:D

Single BLACK Sentrys from the 1st batch are sold, and many people are asking us about this Long Run perk. As everyone knows, "one image says more than 1000 words", we decided to make a small visual update how we expect this production scheme will look like.

nqR34P8.png

The table explains to perfection! a question, the first 150 units are the first 150 who pre-purchased the houses? I for example have been the 82nd so I'll have the first week of production? and this first week of production when it will start? on indiegogo says April

It will be a long month...:D

Yeah, because you know, if there are people that want to buy it but cannot do it just now or are not sure yet, if we had an option to close the campaign now while there are still perks available, then reputation of Indiegogo would take a hit by this.

We don't have an option to close the campaign and I think the only option for us to close it earlier is like I said before, fulfilling all the perks.

The table explains to perfection! a question, the first 150 units are the first 150 who pre-purchased the houses? I for example have been the 82nd so I'll have the first week of production? and this first week of production when it will start? on indiegogo says April

It will depend on how long lead time will our metal subcontractor need to clear out remaining orders for other clients to fully focus on our project, and they promised it'll take around month, max two.
So the expected time frame for First Batch shipping start is around the turn of March and April.

Will there be any white cases available after launch? Why isn't there a white case option for long run?

Will there be any white cases available after launch? Why isn't there a white case option for long run?

At this moment we can't say if there will be more of white SENTRYs. This colour is at this moment limited only to the indiegogo campaign in 1st run. White case needs to be painted in separate paint-shop than black one, and in this paint-shop we have to wait in a long line to order what we want (we checked different places and this paint-shop fills our quality requirements). Because of that, it takes a lot more time and logistics to make it. Right now please treat white sentry like a limited edition, because we can't really say, if and when we will be able to order another batch of this colour (another after this 1st indiegogo batch).

Yeah, because you know, if there are people that want to buy it but cannot do it just now or are not sure yet, if we had an option to close the campaign now while there are still perks available, then reputation of Indiegogo would take a hit by this.

We don't have an option to close the campaign and I think the only option for us to close it earlier is like I said before, fulfilling all the perks.

It will depend on how long lead time will our metal subcontractor need to clear out remaining orders for other clients to fully focus on our project, and they promised it'll take around month, max two.
So the expected time frame for First Batch shipping start is around the turn of March and April.

My bad, when i said "close campaign" i didn't mean "delete indiegogo page" or something like it. I just wondered about earlier start of the first batch production (after sold out of this option). Thanks to your explanation picture and your comment my question is obsolete now.

Thanks for your work, guys!(y)

That Stormtrooper decal looks incredible on the Sentry. Cutting out the vent holes would be such a hassle though.

Where did he get that decal? Pretty sick.

He designed it himself and probably ordered online from someone making such decals.

That Stormtrooper decal looks incredible on the Sentry. Cutting out the vent holes would be such a hassle though.

While for open air cooler it looks kind of not optimal, I think if he put a blower card inside, then the vents that are left clear would be enough.

A bit of the news on the cooling

One of interested enthusiasts reached out to us to ask about the cooler that went under our radar because it's not in our regional distribution and manufacturer website is sometimes not responding.

I'm talking about ID-Cooling IS-VC45

1421492648.jpg

http://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/44/name/IS-VC45

The unit has a vapor chamber and is rated for 130W while being total 45mm tall which is perfect for Sentry (you'll be able to replace the fan to some 16mm unit if the provided is not that good) and has compatibility for 115x sockets as well as 2011-x.

The only drawback versus what RosaJ modded out from dynatron unit is that this is purely aluminium based cooler, while dynatron is fully copper made.

I'll try to contact them to see if there's any chance to get some more info or sample for us.

3) What I think could be the best performer here - Zalman CNPS2X

And You probably noticed that they've used the Zalman CNPS2X in them and I think that this TYPE of cooler should be the best for performance, silence and compatibility.

4) Noctua LH-N9i

If there are better choices than those, prove me wrong :)

Zalman CNPS2X

Saw this video and thought hey that Zalman + Scthe 120mm fan might work (I know different case, different temps but worth a look)

Noctua LH-N9i

Have you tried using a different fan? Been reading using different fan helps a bit.

Can the noctua be mounted so it's not blocked by the ram?

115x socket mount is is rectangular so you can rotate it easily.

Looking at the bottom of the NH-L9i I see that there is no significant difference in height between the base piece outside the socket and the radiator fins, so there shouldn't be any problems with it touching the capacitors. Note the fact that this cooler is on the market for quite a long time and if it happened then Noctua would probably already solve this problem.

Cryorig C7 for comparison has its base plate (the part that isn't directly touching cpu) significantly standing out of the radiator fins level. Because of this you might have problems with switching the cooler rotation.

Noctua-NH-L9i-Podstawa.jpg

007.jpg

A bit of the news on the cooling

One of interested enthusiasts reached out to us to ask about the cooler that went under our radar because it's not in our regional distribution and manufacturer website is sometimes not responding.

I'm talking about ID-Cooling IS-VC45

1421492648.jpg

http://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/44/name/IS-VC45

The unit has a vapor chamber and is rated for 130W while being total 45mm tall which is perfect for Sentry (you'll be able to replace the fan to some 16mm unit if the provided is not that good) and has compatibility for 115x sockets as well as 2011-x.

The only drawback versus what RosaJ modded out from dynatron unit is that this is purely aluminium based cooler, while dynatron is fully copper made.

I'll try to contact them to see if there's any chance to get some more info or sample for us.

That hasn't been entirely under the community's radar, by the way. I brought it up months ago and the general consensus, both from reviews and testing, is that it doesn't perform anywhere even close to what it claims.

That being said, if you guys can get ahold of them, I would love to see what you think; the handful of reviews out there are from when it first released, so maybe it's made with better tolerances now.

That hasn't been entirely under the community's radar, by the way. I brought it up months ago and the general consensus, both from reviews and testing, is that it doesn't perform anywhere even close to what it claims.

That being said, if you guys can get ahold of them, I would love to see what you think; the handful of reviews out there are from when it first released, so maybe it's made with better tolerances now.

Yeah, I checked out a couple reviews, Tom's Hardware and TweakTown, and both demonstrated it was very mediocre indeed. It'd probably benefit from the vapor chamber being made of copper with aluminum fins rather than what I assume is aluminum with aluminum fins. Reviews on Newegg are completely mixed. Maybe its quality control issues? Maybe people are using crap thermal paste? Either way, it seems Noctua's NH-l9i is still the gold standard.

I just stumbled upon an interesting looking cooler on eBay. Low profile, apparently solid copper and supports TDP up to 100W. Supposedly it's a reputable brand in Korea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281065681925?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It's not the most expensive gamble, so I purchased one. We'll see how it goes in a month or two whenever I receive it from South Korea.
It's apparently quite a bit shorter than the NH-l9i. The fan it comes with is a 80x80x10mm with what looks like pressure optimized blades.
I'll probably immediately swap it out for a Noctua NF-A9x14 or one of their NF-A8 pwm fans if the 92mm doesn't fit to get the most out of the cooler.
I have CPU's covering every TDP I can test it with if anyone is curious
  • 35W i3-4130t
  • 45W Xeon E3-1275Lv3
  • 53W Pentium G3258
  • 65W i7-4790S
  • 88W i7-4790K
The NH-l9i works for all those above, (though it hits ~82C in gaming on the 4790K at stock) but if I can get even 5C lower it's an improvement.
I'm curious to try modding a Dynatron 1U vapor chamber server cooler like RosaJ, but I figure I'll try all the standard LGA115X coolers first.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a question regarding the compatability of the "Ino3d ichill gtx 1070 x3" with the Sentry case:
The "ichill x3" is a 2.5 slot gpu (as seen here: http://www.inno3d.com/products_detail.php?refid=243) and should therefore not fit the Sentry
-dual slot full size 305mm VGA cards support
And yet it is listed as compatible in the Sentry Compatibility Spreadsheet
So the question remains: Does it fit or not?
Would appreciate any help.

I just stumbled upon an interesting looking cooler on eBay. Low profile, apparently solid copper and supports TDP up to 100W. Supposedly it's a reputable brand in Korea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281065681925?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It's not the most expensive gamble, so I purchased one. We'll see how it goes in a month or two whenever I receive it from South Korea.
It's apparently quite a bit shorter than the NH-l9i. The fan it comes with is a 80x80x10mm with what looks like pressure optimized blades.
I'll probably immediately swap it out for a Noctua NF-A9x14 or one of their NF-A8 pwm fans if the 92mm doesn't fit to get the most out of the cooler.
I have CPU's covering every TDP I can test it with if anyone is curious
  • 35W i3-4130t
  • 45W Xeon E3-1275Lv3
  • 53W Pentium G3258
  • 65W i7-4790S
  • 88W i7-4790K
The NH-l9i works for all those above, (though it hits ~82C in gaming on the 4790K at stock) but if I can get even 5C lower it's an improvement.
I'm curious to try modding a Dynatron 1U vapor chamber server cooler like RosaJ, but I figure I'll try all the standard LGA115X coolers first.

Huh, interesting. That thing is freaking TINY!

Please do the tests, if it's not too much trouble; I'd be fascinated to see if it actually performs well, at least on the 65-95W range.

So far I'm definitely leaning towards Rosa's mod, because it seems to be the only solution that's both cool AND quiet, but...

Reactions: RosaJ
like this

Yeah, I checked out a couple reviews, Tom's Hardware and TweakTown, and both demonstrated it was very mediocre indeed. It'd probably benefit from the vapor chamber being made of copper with aluminum fins rather than what I assume is aluminum with aluminum fins. Reviews on Newegg are completely mixed. Maybe its quality control issues? Maybe people are using crap thermal paste? Either way, it seems Noctua's NH-l9i is still the gold standard.

Yeah unfortunately the amount of bad reviews of it stopped me from purchasing on. After reading a thread here on this cooler I decided to go the Dynatron route.
https://hardforum.com/threads/id-cooling-builds-mini-itx-cpu-cooler-with-vapor-chamber.1849578/

I will add that I did have it in my Newegg cart for a while before deciding to get the Dynatron.

I second to hearing back from the test you do as I did not see this cooler. (I was purely searching for vapor chambers)

Yeah unfortunately the amount of bad reviews of it stopped me from purchasing on. After reading a thread here on this cooler I decided to go the Dynatron route.
https://hardforum.com/threads/id-cooling-builds-mini-itx-cpu-cooler-with-vapor-chamber.1849578/

I will add that I did have it in my Newegg cart for a while before deciding to get the Dynatron.

I second to hearing back from the test you do as I did not see this cooler. (I was purely searching for vapor chambers)

Will getting a more powerful fan on the NH-l9i like the NF-F12 industrialPPC fan make the NH-l9i perform any better? (Even if its louder) Also I was looking into the ID-Cooling IS-VC45 as well and the reviews are just terrible, some people are getting worst performance than with the stock cooler.

I'll be sure to report back when ever I receive it. Ebay says it should arrive between February 2 and March 3.

Reactions: RosaJ
like this
In a DAN's case forum post I found some stats that say Cooltek Thermolab LP53 with noctua a9 14mm slim fan performs better than the other cpu cooling solutions he tested. I wonder if the same will hold for the sentry. Link: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/best-low-profile-cpu-cooler-on-the-market.1262/page-3

It appears to be a very similar Thermolab heatsink, maybe one step up in performance?
I found two reviews that suggest this lp53 cooler would be the one to beat. With a noctua 92x14mm fan it may be even better.

http://ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1258

http://www.nikktech.com/main/articl...rofile-cpu-cooler-review?showall=&limitstart=

I found one on ebay for $50 so I got the LP53 too. I'm a fan of noctua (pun intended) so I'll be sure to try with its stock fan and a low profile noctua fan for comparison. It will be on an open air test bench, but I will still be able to draw comparison to the nh-l9i.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rysen
like this
I have a question regarding the compatability of the "Ino3d ichill gtx 1070 x3" with the Sentry case:
The "ichill x3" is a 2.5 slot gpu (as seen here: http://www.inno3d.com/products_detail.php?refid=243) and should therefore not fit the Sentry
And yet it is listed as compatible in the Sentry Compatibility Spreadsheet
So the question remains: Does it fit or not?
Would appreciate any help.

Good job on noticing that - that's why there's info to double check the specs, because things like this may happen when going through ~400 specifications. Thanks!

I'll invalidate those cards because 2.5" doesn't tell me anything precise, but those cards may actually fit really tightly.
PCI slot is roughly 20.5mm thick so that 0.5 is going to be something like additional 10mm max and we've got 9mm below reference card by design.

It appears to be a very similar Thermolab heatsink, maybe one step up in performance?
I found two reviews that suggest this lp53 cooler would be the one to beat. With a noctua 92x14mm fan it may be even better.

http://ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1258

http://www.nikktech.com/main/articl...rofile-cpu-cooler-review?showall=&limitstart=

I found one on ebay for $50 so I got the LP53 too. I'm a fan of noctua (pun intended) so I'll be sure to try with its stock fan and a low profile noctua fan for comparison. It will be on an open air test bench, but I will still be able to draw comparison to the nh-l9i.

Please test it and tell me if you see improvements. I actually want to know how it compares to the c7 or the other solution discussed here with dynatron r15 vapor chamber 1U mod. Please share a link to what you found on ebay.

Also I am hard set on putting a 1080gtx on this case and I am willing to spend the extra bucks so after reading about people using the 1080 fe cooler on their 1070, I am once again unsure if I should get open-air 1080 over blower style. If price is not a problem what card would you guys recommend as the best choice for this case in terms of temperatures (among all the gtx 1080 that are compatible with sentry). It really sucks that most comparisons on the internet are not based on temperature but rather most of the reviews target clocks speeds while ignoring temps. Also if anyone has found any information on this please share a link I would greatly appreciate it.

Please test it and tell me if you see improvements. I actually want to know how it compares to the c7 or the other solution discussed here with dynatron r15 vapor chamber 1U mod. Please share a link to what you found on ebay.

Also I am hard set on putting a 1080gtx on this case and I am willing to spend the extra bucks so after reading about people using the 1080 fe cooler on their 1070, I am once again unsure if I should get open-air 1080 over blower style. If price is not a problem what card would you guys recommend as the best choice for this case in terms of temperatures (among all the gtx 1080 that are compatible with sentry). It really sucks that most comparisons on the internet are not based on temperature but rather most of the reviews target clocks speeds while ignoring temps. Also if anyone has found any information on this please share a link I would greatly appreciate it.

I have a gtx 1080 Founders Edition. I game at 1080 and 1440 resolutions and it rarely goes over 75C. Usually it is around 68-70C. Only hits 84C during intensive synthetic like Firestrike Ultra at 4k.

Most of the big reviewers like Linus Tech Tips noted at the release of the 1080FE that it was power limited, not thermally limited and I would agree with this. It never thermal throttles, it does however crash if you raise the clock without raising power limit to 120%.

I have power target at 95% and clock at +60mhz. So it seems I have a decent chip that allows -5% power with slight overclocking. With these settings it regularly boosts and stays at 2025mhz during gaming and never goes over 75C with a slightly more aggressive fan curve which at 75C is at maybe 60% fan speed.

The 1080FE cooler is impressive. Is it louder than say an Asus 1080 Strix or gigabyte windforce? Yes, but it is tolerable. Can you overclock the FE as high? No. But the FE will probably be within 5% of the performance of a open cooler 1080.

If you find a deal on the FE or one offered with rebates I'd say go for that as it is proven to keep the rest of the system a few degrees C cooler. Any overclocking benefit of a big open air cooler will be lost in the small case. This is just my opinion. But the fact is, no matter what gtx 1080 you get, it is a monster gpu. So I say go for the one best suited to small cases.

Ebay links:
Itx30 cooler
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281065681925

LP53 cooler
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252309894140

Edit: oh and I forgot to mention that my 1080 will run at ~2050mhz stable, even got it to >2100mhz but it crashes at 2175mhz even though it is only 75C, the power draw hits 129%. The single 8 pin+pcie slot just can't supply enough power at that point. At 2.1ghz clock speed you're reaching 10.7 TFLOPS theoretical fp32 compute throughput. That is not bad considering the 1080 is rated for 8.8 tflops at stock.

Last edited:
like this
Anyone else planning on a Noctua NH-L9i along with their 25mm NF-B9 redux fan? That combo should be 48mm tall, but I'm worried about it being too close to the vents and causing unwanted noise, or not cooling effectively being that close to the vent.

Anyone else planning on a Noctua NH-L9i along with their 25mm NF-B9 redux fan? That combo should be 48mm tall, but I'm worried about it being too close to the vents and causing unwanted noise, or not cooling effectively being that close to the vent.

Zaber will have to give you the final answer but they did say before in their specs:

"...conditional 48mm or 38mm max coolers depending on cpu socket location and primary 2.5" hard drive mount use"
so you should be fine at that height.

We've initially thought that it will be something like 48mm because with for example flower style fan like the intel box cooler, you can directly touch the cover without problems. I think I should update that info in this topic. Note the fact that both product page and campaign page specify 47 i 37mm. and there is a good reason for that. While the socket construction remains the same for intel 115x platforms, we have slightly different CPU core cover (IHS) height across generations and there's also the problem of fan blades directly touching the cover. Even with 1mm of clearance like with C7 it is not recommended to have a high-rpm fan almost touching the inlet like this.

like this
So I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of these but realized the GTX 1070 Mini isn't compatible with it. Is it fair to say there isn't a 1070 that exists that would allow you to use one of the 2.5 hard drive brackets in the GPU bay?

So I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of these but realized the GTX 1070 Mini isn't compatible with it. Is it fair to say there isn't a 1070 that exists that would allow you to use one of the 2.5 hard drive brackets in the GPU bay?

So far yes, because the oversize on ITX versions of 970s wasn't enough for manufacturers and they needed even more room for this generation :(

Thank you very much to everyone that replied. I have a great computer at work for handling the long hours at 100% so this computer is intended at personal use mostly but that includes being able to handle the stuff I do at work whenever necessary. So, it will not be at 100% regularly but it might be sometimes. To give a little bit of background this will be my first case and it will be used to replace my old ROG laptop which had a gtx 660m and its like 3 or 4 years old so while eventually it will be pushed to the max most of the time it will be dealing with stuff that that laptop can handle. My old laptop was too slow for some tasks and I am ready for an upgrade but I am looking for the smallest case that I can get that can fit a full size graphic card. Portability and size is a huge selling point for me. After reading that others are using it for similar purpose I feel confident enough that it will be a decent investment. Thank you very much.

Thanks for all the info about the 1080/Titan X cooler.

I can't find any 1080 coolers on eBay, but I have found a brand new, cheap Titan X Pascal cooler which I will grab. Once again, thanks for the awesome info about the coolers.

Thanks for all the info about the 1080/Titan X cooler.

I can't find any 1080 coolers on eBay, but I have found a brand new, cheap Titan X Pascal cooler which I will grab. Once again, thanks for the awesome info about the coolers.

Haha I might be to blame. I just purchased a 1080 cooler off ebay for a friend's 1070FE. Wow the 1070fe cooler is bad. I didn't think the vapor chamber of the 1080 made so much of a difference but my 1080 runs cooler, quieter and cools down much much quicker. His 1070 gets hot and stays hot. I'll post some results here when we swap the cooler for anyone else interested in this seemingly easy mod/upgrade.

Haha I might be to blame. I just purchased a 1080 cooler off ebay for a friend's 1070FE. Wow the 1070fe cooler is bad. I didn't think the vapor chamber of the 1080 made so much of a difference but my 1080 runs cooler, quieter and cools down much much quicker. His 1070 gets hot and stays hot. I'll post some results here when we swap the cooler for anyone else interested in this seemingly easy mod/upgrade.

I am definitely interested!

Back