Self Hosted Private File Sharing

TeK-FX

Limp Gawd
I am wondering if anyone has any experience regarding self hosted private file sharing products. We are currently using an FTP to transfer technical data between our company and our vendors. We currently have 78 vendors and 15 internal users who would be accessing this to share files.

Within the next 6-8 months I would like to implement a file sharing service that has some sort of web-based interface. I looked into Sharepoint but doing cost analysis it is way more than I'm willing to spend for a company our size. I ran across SynaMan which looks promising, especially the fact that it is a perpetually licensed product.

bittorrent.

it's completely legal just the things people share aren't

just send the .torrent file out.

and all you have to do is seed.

and the more seeders the faster it is.

I've had some luck utilizing OwnCloud in a similar deployment. The catch that you will face is balancing security, ease of use, and TCO. While SynaMan has a perpetual license, you still will want the support product since this is being utilized in a live environment. That being said, I've heard good things about SynaMan though I've never tried it personally.

Depending on your security needs, on-site hardware, file size, etc. I would strongly suggest taking a look at utilizing a cloud based solution such as Box or DropBox. You would only need to pay for your internal users and be able to share the files with the vendors.

My company uses ShareFile by Citrix. They have a ton of features and its only $12 / month per user. They don't count vendors as users, so it would only be for your company users. Vendors and Clients all have free access that you assign to them. Unlimited storage and file size. I know its not self hosted, but its very cost effective.

bittorrent.

it's completely legal just the things people share aren't

just send the .torrent file out.

and all you have to do is seed.

and the more seeders the faster it is.

We have to not only send files to vendors but be able to receive them and I am not sure how many of our vendors want to setup a torrent server to send us files.

I've had some luck utilizing OwnCloud in a similar deployment. The catch that you will face is balancing security, ease of use, and TCO. While SynaMan has a perpetual license, you still will want the support product since this is being utilized in a live environment. That being said, I've heard good things about SynaMan though I've never tried it personally.

Depending on your security needs, on-site hardware, file size, etc. I would strongly suggest taking a look at utilizing a cloud based solution such as Box or DropBox. You would only need to pay for your internal users and be able to share the files with the vendors.

I will look into OwnCloud. The big reason for on-site hosting is we have to be ITAR compliant due to government contracts. A big portion of that means no data ever leaves US soil plus no non-citizens can have access to the data. DropBox, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc are all out for us as they have failover/backup servers all over the world.

My company uses ShareFile by Citrix. They have a ton of features and its only $12 / month per user. They don't count vendors as users, so it would only be for your company users. Vendors and Clients all have free access that you assign to them. Unlimited storage and file size. I know its not self hosted, but its very cost effective.
I will check ShareFile. Do you know if they are ITAR compliant?

We just wrote ours in ASP.NET.. secured it, and called it good.

Regarding with ITAR compliant, just send the vendor an e-mail and ask about it.

As someone suggested, there's ownCloud.

I would also suggest to look into nextCloud as well. It's a fork of ownCloud with some of their own enhancement.

There's also SeaFile.

The company I worked for did some path finding on file sharing server and we ended up selecting nextCloud.

i have a customer that does something similar, but maybe slightly smaller scale with rejetto's hfs....

works remarkably well, worth downloading and playing around with

Nextcloud >>>> Owncloud since the project was run poorly and the devs all left to work on the NC fork.

I've been running nextcloud for a couple years now and it works great. Should fit all the needs of the OP, integrates with AD/LDAP, includes MFA etc. Assuming it can pass your security audit.

Nextcloud >>>> Owncloud since the project was run poorly and the devs all left to work on the NC fork.

I've been running nextcloud for a couple years now and it works great. Should fit all the needs of the OP, integrates with AD/LDAP, includes MFA etc. Assuming it can pass your security audit.
Do you have any more specifics on the superiority of NextCloud over Owncloud? I've been wanting to play around with this, and had only really known of OwnCloud before. I certainly want to use the better product, but "better" can be pretty subjective based on needs!

Do you have any more specifics on the superiority of NextCloud over Owncloud? I've been wanting to play around with this, and had only really known of OwnCloud before. I certainly want to use the better product, but "better" can be pretty subjective based on needs!

Here's more details:
https://civihosting.com/blog/nextcloud-vs-owncloud/

I know security was a much bigger focus with nextcloud, and was a big part of why I chose it. I have it hosted on my home servers, AD Authentication, syncing pictures via the android app, my KeePass vault to all my desktops/phone etc. It's seriously impressive how well the product works.

Back