Seagate Exos X96, 96TB SATA 7200RPM

erek

[H]F Junkie
Real or fake?

1666672010080.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285008912182?hash=item425bdadf36:g:PQoAAOSwr-hjUZ3K

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It is a dead drive though, and a seller with over 400 all positive feedback, so I say it is real, probably a defective and discarded drive during sampling or manufacturing

It is a dead drive though, and a seller with over 400 all positive feedback, so I say it is real, probably a defective and discarded drive during sampling or manufacturing
96TB tho? opinion?

So if you didn't already know this was a fake thinking that a 96TB 3.5" HDD drive exists in 2022, zoom in close on the large "96 TB" at the top. You can clearly see the '96' doesn't quite match the 'TB'. That's the first visual giveaway.

Reactions: erek
like this
So if you didn't already know this was a fake thinking that a 96TB 3.5" HDD drive exists in 2022, zoom in close on the large "96 TB" at the top. You can clearly see the '96' doesn't quite match the 'TB'. That's the first visual giveaway.
Thank you

You must have better eyesight than me because they look the same to me. What are the differences?

Anyone who didn't realize this was fake in two seconds or less, I have a bridge to sell you.

a seller with over 400 all positive feedback, so I say it is real

Probably someone who had their eBay account hacked. ALL of their feedback as a seller is more than a year old aside from one feedback which is likely fake.

If it was an SSD, it would be more believable since SSD's have had larger capacities than HDD's for years now..

I'm calling it real, 100% engineering sample and with the DOM of 2026 it would would make sense. Seagate is working to release a 30TB in mid 2023, give it 3 more years and I could see a 96TB, though a 60TB is more likely.

Makes me wonder if This is also a fake?
Yup. That one seemed too good to be true, but at least plausible.

This 96TB feels like one of those Nigerian prince emails with all the dead giveaways and misspellings. The goal is making it so fake that only someone gullible enough will bite and then stay duped long enough that the scammer can extract the funds from ebay and disappear. Feels like A LOT of effort to steal $160...

Uh, the largest Seagate Enterprise drives out there right now are 20TB, so yeah this is fake.

Not a question.

Yes because they will never make 96TB. It will be 120TB. ;-)

I don't think 96TB is unlikely when the time goes. They make all sorts of drive sizes that are non-binary and uneven numbers. 18TB for instance was the last headline number before the 20 now, and that is neither an easy binary number (like 16) nor a nice even number like 20. So 96 is certainly on the table. Why not?

At the rate we've been going for the last several years though, roughly doubling hard drive sizes every 6 years, that will be a drive launched in ~2035-2037 some time, unless things slow down as increased platter density becomes more and more complicated.

And that's if anyone is even using mechanical drives anymore then. Flash may have decreased enough in cost to make physical hard drives obsolete, even in large size slow storage by then.

Last edited:
You missed the pun/sarcasm. ;-)

But we already have 100TB SSDs you can buy today so these are DOA!

You missed the pun/sarcasm. ;-)

But we already have 100TB SSDs you can buy today so these are DOA!

Yeah, but at what price?

Cost per TB matters when you get into mass storage.

Just for shits and giggles I looked up the largest SATA SSD on Newegg right now. It is a 15TB Team Group SSD and comes in at ~$3,300. By contrast a 16TB hard drive can be had for $240.

SSD's have for some time made Hard Drives obsolete in all client applications (even though they still show up sometimes for some crazy reason).

Hard Drives still have a serious cost per TB advantage in large storage applications, but that is bit by bit being eroded. There will be a time when that is no longer the case. The question is how soon.

Oops, now you made me think about it and I was thinking of something completely different than storage. Senior moment! 🚱

Come to think of this, with five platters, 12TB per side or 24TB per disc it would work. No SMR BS of course. STR would be bottle necked by SATA3 for sure even at the end. Maybe have 128GB of SLC cache to help iOPs out. And keep it below $1k.

The Nimbus 100TB is $40k per drive. It would be fun to fill up a rackstation with a dozen of those. Surprised LTT hasn't done this yet. ;-)

Oops, now you made me think about it and I was thinking of something completely different than storage. Senior moment! 🚱

Come to think of this, with five platters, 12TB per side or 24TB per disc it would work. No SMR BS of course. STR would be bottle necked by SATA3 for sure even at the end. Maybe have 128GB of SLC cache to help iOPs out. And keep it below $1k.

The Nimbus 100TB is $40k per drive. It would be fun to fill up a rackstation with a dozen of those. Surprised LTT hasn't done this yet. ;-)

Hehe, that may require google money even beyond what Linus can muster :p

For now lets let him do stupid shit like watercool his PC with his pool water.

If you buy it and it's real you get a physics nobel prize for proving time travel is possible.

Well someone bought the 48TB (DOM Dec 2022 in the future) version on Oct 4 knowing that this is non-working/for parts. There were a few bidders. Maybe a collector item, hmm.

Also, buyer left a positive review for this purchase and claimed to be able to get this drive to work? Have to say that the seller last ebay feedback as a seller occurred a year ago but has a few feedback as a buyer this year.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
LOL, there is no 48TB or 96TB drive, especially not a year ago. If someone bought it and it works, it is a smaller drive with a hacked firmware that makes it show up as 96TB in the system. Just as fake SD cards.

The positive review just say that the shipping was ok: Awesome care taken in shipping. Will be able to get it working!

Not that it worked or actually knew it would and the drive was sold: For parts or not working, so in that context hard to know what part will be working.

The positive review just say that the shipping was ok: Awesome care taken in shipping. Will be able to get it working!

Not that it worked or actually knew it would and the drive was sold: For parts or not working, so in that context hard to know what part will be working.
I mean for $150 plus shipping? One could get a working used 12TB HDD in ebay for close to that price. We don't know buyer's true intention. The other bidder put $150 for that thing but didn't win which suggest there is some interest in that thing.

Back