Schiit Fulla + Mod Mic 3.5mm, still getting white noise

ZeqOBpf6

Gawd
I'd like to increase the quality of my microphone when I'm playing games. Things are mostly fine except the white noise, but that's super annoying. Is this a $50 problem or a $500 problem?

I currently have a Modmic with a 3.5mm jack(not usb) and it goes in to a Schiit Fulla which connects to my computer. Running it this way I have no control over gain in Windows(or anything besides volume) but the issue persisted even with the Mic plugged directly in to the motherboard and messing around in Realtek or Windows. I think it's a Modmic 4, I think it's >5 years old.

Last edited:
hmm, i have a similar setup older modmic and schiit hel and it is super silent.

Do you have another mic laying around to test with? that would be your best bet, or even cheapest thing to buy to test.

Is the white noise present when you have no mic inserted?

Could also reach out to the modmic team, as they may have some suggestions.

Ground loop noise perhaps? Is the fulla connected via USB? If you have optical cable around try using it and see if it fixes the problem. If it does but you want to use USB then Ground Loop filter is probably necessary.

As mentioned above, I'd try unplugging everything (take the opportunity to hoover up) and then re cable it all with power cables get to themselves and anything audio especially kept apart. Is it plugged in a USB2 or 3 port? If it's in a 3 try a 2.

"Sounds" like your motherboard's input is adding the noise.

A focusrite 2i2 is a $200 solution. Also has a nice headphone amp.

Back