scent gaming

Pkirk618

Supreme [H]ardness
I was playing battlefield vietnam. I walk into this warehouse and I think, what would this smell like? What would the smell of these heli's taking off on the dirt and grass smell like?. And then I thought, will gaming ever get so immersive that smell will accompany the game box via a usb connection? Just thinking how cool that would be.

yes and there is a company that has already made a device that hooks up to the pc and has electronic smells depending on where you go on the internet...it's vary crude but one day it will get to that point you talk about and beyond....think holadeck

Ahhhh yes I look forward to the day that is standard, yes very much so as it is the day I stop gaming.

*stares at the OP* :-\

Hmmm, that's an... interesting idea... :p

USB will probably be obsolete by the time that happens! I would love to smell the burning fuel and burning rubber in a race game.

But I'd more like to see it look photorealistic before smelling it though.

I remember watching a program several years ago that had some kind of electronic device that could create hundreds of different flavors from a few key ingredients. I'm sure the technology exists to create such a device for entertainment purposes, it's just a question of how many people are willing to pay the money for such a device. It seems kind of trivial for modern applications if you ask me.

well it seems no different than those shows at 6 flags where there's water on the screen and water hits ur face by some spinkler system. So many people go to great lengths to feel like they're in the battle--flight sim players for example and their home made cockpits :)

Sometimes, I put a fan next to my monitor just to increase the feel of wind in my
face....call it corny :D

and I already play the sound high to give that sound boost for realism

Let's hope the unit doesn't have any problems.

"Wow this is so real.. I can smell burning electronics... oh GOD NO AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

:p

Im not sure I would really want to smell the scent of burning bodies after I frag them with a flamethrower.

heh, or animated farts would be interesting i suppose. Just following ya'll leads lol.
:D

Leisure Suit Larry 7: Love for Sail actually came with a scrach-n-sniff page with 9 scents on it to go along with the game. So there has been at least one that had scents

I'm kind of embarrassed in reading my thoughts from the past but oh well....

Anyway, I've seen some hit or miss threads over the years and today I spotted an LTT video on the subject. Do you think this will finally gain traction?

...also I think I was high on vics at the time.

Last edited:
Do you think this will finally gain traction?
Less likely than 3D tv gaming, VR gaming would be my guess.

If / once VR gaming become very popular that when it would make the most sense (the game knows where is your nose has already a controller very close to it and so on), I think there is already many prototype of VR kits with a nose scent module.

Less likely than 3D tv gaming, VR gaming would be my guess.

If / once VR gaming become very popular that when it would make the most sense (the game knows where is your nose has already a controller very close to it and so on), I think there is already many prototype of VR kits with a nose scent module.
agreed. The tech is still in its infancy but it seems reasonable that eventually, it will be native in the gaming space.

Back