scalpers starting to return cards LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for free trade and making money and all that but excessive greed... Yeah no compassion from me. The professional scalpers probably didnt suffer one iota. Its the newcomers thinking they would do it and got caught off guard you hear whining. Sorry, you got what you wanted now lie in it. lol

I'm all for free trade and making money and all that but excessive greed... Yeah no compassion from me. The professional scalpers probably didnt suffer one iota. Its the newcomers thinking they would do it and got caught off guard you hear whining. Sorry, you got what you wanted now lie in it. lol

Really enjoying seeing them do this in our very own forums from gpu's to consoles, fun. :woot:

gerardfraser It is more the annoyance than someone went out, bought an item, with no intention to keep it and only to then try and sell it to make profit, thus denying someone who actually wanted said product for their own use.

Now on that though, if people simply stopped buying scalped prices, this would not be an issue. If someone hates scalpers, then they should hate the people buying from them even more!
Most people with cash do not care ,hell do not even think twice, simple as that. People can virtual single there moral high ground all they want, I do not believe it at all.
I bet some hypocrites reside in this thread and sure like the scalpers when they want to get into that game and all the tickets are sold. Funny how selected on hating one scalper one can be but seek out another scalper to get into that game.Of course scalping tickets for an event is illegal so maybe if people feel this way about GPU's ,stop talking and do something about it.

Another one I find funny when PC stuff, people complaining about pirates on PC games but yet they have $5K computer and using a stolen copy of Windows/Music/Movies ETC. Make no sense to me ,a good chunk of these people do not have a clue.
Now I do not want to have conversations about this crap to anyone or agrue,I just stated some points that are 100% true in my mind and from my experience with fixing peoples computers for 20 years for fun and never charge.

I can't wait to buy an nv or amd card when they go on sale to the general public on 7/21 I am sure they will be good cards.

gerardfraser It is more the annoyance than someone went out, bought an item, with no intention to keep it and only to then try and sell it to make profit, thus denying someone who actually wanted said product for their own use.
I do this with cars every year. Show up hauling an empty trailer, cash in hand, with only the intention to resell it. :D

Yes I know ,I did say so in a post #43,but if I said everything in one post so no one could come back and say anything,fuck I would have to write 10 pages in this thread.

So ummm where are these returned gpu and cpu? Stock seems to be scarce...

Tickets sales are not luxury items? Clearly the laws don't encompass all markets but the fundamental is there. The law exist to protect consumers from exactly this scenario.
Tickets are arguably less a good and more an event/experience, which can be (not saying it is or isn't) argued as being something significantly different. A concert / sports event happens once. There are no substitutes. There are substitutes for a 6800XT or 3080 - maybe not as good, but there is.

Tickets are arguably less a good and more an event/experience, which can be (not saying it is or isn't) argued as being something significantly different. A concert / sports event happens once. There are no substitutes. There are substitutes for a 6800XT or 3080 - maybe not as good, but there is.

You're arguing semantics. Concerts are not a need. It's clearly a luxury. And you're ignoring the point of the law and the similarity of what happens with tickets and currently with cpus and gpus. Scalpers eat up the stock for a short time creating extreme lack of supply which they can then take advantage of.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing it because there's been some changes to PayPal.
https://www.ecommercebytes.com/2020/07/03/paypal-clarifies-resale-policy-taking-effect-on-july-31/
"PayPal Purchase Protection is intended for end-use consumers; therefore, purchases made for the purposes of filling retail inventory or any purchases made with the intent of reselling the item(s) are excluded from PayPal Purchase Protection."

The second thing is that they are probably trying to amass funds for the refresher cards that are coming out probably at the end of the year. AKA 3080Ti is going to fill a weird gap competing against the 6900xt. Those 3090s are going to be in an weird place. That and even if the AMD 6xxx didn't release as many cards as they could have on launch there's going to be more coming out next week or do when the Non-reference cards are released since they weren't allowed to release on the reference card's date. Wouldn't be surprised if the partners made a few to bang some of them out just to get it out, but they probably didn't have intentions of wasting chipsets on making a lot of reference cards. Even if there's limited 6xxx stock on the upcoming weeks, just having more cards out there regardless of AMD or NVIDA is taking a bit of the load off demand.

I don't think they got as bad as this guy. https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/h...efund/67-6fe85ba1-acfe-4433-9923-3c2dd4abc4ed This guy went for essentials, as much as I want a new video card it's not an immediate essential necessity.

You're arguing semantics. Concerts are not a need. It's clearly a luxury. And you're ignoring the point of the law and the similarity of what happens with tickets and currently with cpus and gpus. Scalpers eat up the stock for a short time creating extreme lack of supply which they can then take advantage of.
I don't disagree with you, but the laws are somewhat "gray" on a lot of this currently (only addressing certain markets, not consistent nationally, etc). Which is something we should address, but legally at least, these people aren't currently in the wrong.

I don't disagree with you, but the laws are somewhat "gray" on a lot of this currently (only addressing certain markets, not consistent nationally, etc). Which is something we should address, but legally at least, these people aren't currently in the wrong.
Maybe for the small one at the moment of the transaction, but could bet that more than 90% of them are making illegal tax evasion on their capital gain and I would imagine that when you reach a certain volume they would need to charge tax in many jurisdiction and become a retailer business.

Maybe for the small one at the moment of the transaction, but could bet that more than 90% of them are making illegal tax evasion on their capital gain and I would imagine that when you reach a certain volume they would need to charge tax in many jurisdiction and become a retailer business.
Volume yes. Capital gains - that's fuzzier, but likely yes - you'd need to be reporting that and they're not. Been a long time since I've dealt with that on the small scale, but states USED to have limits on how much it had to be before they cared about it. But of course, folks doing car flips/etc (fix it up and sell it) have theoretically the same problem (with writeoffs for investments into material/etc).

Capital gains - that's fuzzier, but likely yes
I think it is one of the less fuzzy affair, in the sense even if you sell drugs and make a profit you must report it has a capital gains otherwise it is illegal tax evasion.

What become fuzzier is the scenarios, a lend an house to a friend during my vacation, should he report a capital gain of that market value of the house, for a cash transaction with profit like a scalper do is a really cut case and an easy one.

I think it is one of the less fuzzy affair, in the sense even if you sell drugs and make a profit you must report it has a capital gains otherwise it is illegal tax evasion.

What become fuzzier is the scenarios, a lend an house to a friend during my vacation, should he report a capital gain of that market value of the house, for a cash transaction with profit like a scalper do is a really cut case and an easy one.
The tax rate on most net capital gain is no higher than 15% for most individuals. Some or all net capital gain may be taxed at 0% if your taxable income is less than $78,750.

A capital gain rate of 15% applies if your taxable income is $78,750 or more but less than $434,550 for single; $488,850 for married filing jointly or qualifying widow(er); $461,700 for head of household, or $244,425 for married filing separately.

However, a net capital gain tax rate of 20% applies to the extent that your taxable income exceeds the thresholds set for the 15% capital gain rate.

There are a few other exceptions where capital gains may be taxed at rates greater than 20%:

1. The taxable part of a gain from selling section 1202 qualified small business stock is taxed at a maximum 28% rate.
  2. Net capital gains from selling collectibles (such as coins or art) are taxed at a maximum 28% rate.
  3. The portion of any unrecaptured section 1250 gain from selling section 1250 real property is taxed at a maximum 25% rate.
Note: Net short-term capital gains are subject to taxation as ordinary income at graduated tax rates.

From the IRS. See the bottom note - not sure where it would fall, might just be income (which has limits as well).

The tax rate on most net capital gain is no higher than 15% for most individuals. Some or all net capital gain may be taxed at 0% if your taxable income is less than $78,750.
Isn't something that is completely different jurisdiction to jurisdiction, without much easy rules of thumb of sorts:
https://www.realized1031.com/capital-gains-tax-rate

Using this:
https://smartasset.com/investing/capital-gains-tax-calculator#hwqo0D2cLF

In California for a worst case in the USA, you make $2,500 in short term capital gain with an annual income of $58,000

You own $750 (30%) according to that online calculator above.

From the IRS. See the bottom note - not sure where it would fall, might just be income (which has limits as well).
If it is income (I can see what you mean, if it become a job someone doing a lot of work, lot of hours doing scalping and or just the fact that it is very short like same days trading is considered sometime income instead of capital gain), that is still obviously illegal to not declare, my it is obvious comment was about it is obviously taxable, I was wrong to add the taxable has a capital gain part.

I still see they're getting scalped for profit on Ebay. Slowly coming back to MSRP, but at the moment the thread is fake news.

eBay seems super high risk. They take a 10% cut unless you're a store (3%). Then you have to deal with a lot of pissed off/vengeful people that couldn't get the RTX 30xx/RX 6x00 cards for MSRP. So I definitely think their "return" rates are much higher. Even one "returned" card will badly screw up your profits.

I've definitely had the chance to buy RTX 3090 bundles. They're in stock way longer (minutes!!) than RTX 3070/3080's.

Most people with cash do not care ,hell do not even think twice, simple as that. People can virtual single there moral high ground all they want, I do not believe it at all.
I bet some hypocrites reside in this thread and sure like the scalpers when they want to get into that game and all the tickets are sold. Funny how selected on hating one scalper one can be but seek out another scalper to get into that game.Of course scalping tickets for an event is illegal so maybe if people feel this way about GPU's ,stop talking and do something about it.

Another one I find funny when PC stuff, people complaining about pirates on PC games but yet they have $5K computer and using a stolen copy of Windows/Music/Movies ETC. Make no sense to me ,a good chunk of these people do not have a clue.
Now I do not want to have conversations about this crap to anyone or agrue,I just stated some points that are 100% true in my mind and from my experience with fixing peoples computers for 20 years for fun and never charge.
Yep I used to pirate Windows but now that is almost impossible with Windows 10 (if you want to change you wallpaper that is) so I now get the $2-$5 keys off of eBay I have been doing that for a few years now and I have not had one become deactivated yet and they are linked to my Microsoft account

Yep I used to pirate Windows but now that is almost impossible with Windows 10 (if you want to change you wallpaper that is) so I now get the $2-$5 keys off of eBay I have been doing that for a few years now and I have not had one become deactivated yet and they are linked to my Microsoft account
I buy keys off ebay all the time now,who am I to judge if there legit or not.I told a couple people that and they were like your killing the kids in Africa ,some crazy people on the internet.

The only way to win against scalpers is find a way around them. I couldn't get an RTX 3070, but I'm hoping the PS5 I was able to secure will be worthwhile trade bait.

Honestly a policy that may help this is the store 1. Limiting stock, but there are ways around that, friends etc, or 2 putting a limit on returns from an individual/household/credit card etc. Maybe a return limit of max 2 cards a year, anything else only replaced with same model(or a voucher for the model when available) that way the scalpers are careful not to amass too much inventory because they may just end up stuck with it. The 3rd option is for people to just stop buying from the scalpers period. But as long as their is a market for it will continue

eBay seems super high risk. They take a 10% cut unless you're a store (3%). Then you have to deal with a lot of pissed off/vengeful people that couldn't get the RTX 30xx/RX 6x00 cards for MSRP. So I definitely think their "return" rates are much higher. Even one "returned" card will badly screw up your profits.

I've definitely had the chance to buy RTX 3090 bundles. They're in stock way longer (minutes!!) than RTX 3070/3080's.

It is closer to 13% with a store. Managed Payments changed things, but electronics tend to be 6% + 3% + .30 cents. Now with MP, it is like 7.5%+3% + .30 cents. For most categories you may save .5%, some you pay more. The downside is your money isn't instant, ebay takes 1-3 days to process it, then your bank another 3-7 days. So you typically wait a week to get usable funds.

And buyers are absolutely stupid and won't read descriptions because they use phones instead of computers to order. So if someone buys an RTX 3070 they may think they're getting a 3090 and will make threats of going postal if they don't get a free return. I wouldn't attempt to flip such items on ebay. On another note, we need laws to protect sellers better.

And buyers are absolutely stupid and won't read descriptions because they use phones instead of computers to order. So if someone buys an RTX 3070 they may think they're getting a 3090 and will make threats of going postal if they don't get a free return. I wouldn't attempt to flip such items on ebay. On another note, we need laws to protect sellers better.
The returns isn't a problem, as long as you get the same thing back.

Honestly, not a whole lot of ways to complete stop scalpers. But IMO, they should definitely mitigate the bots with more/better captcha.

Scalpers eat up the stock for a short time creating extreme lack of supply which they can then take advantage of.

Bingo. They are manipulating the market by creating an artificial scarcity which they use to generate profit. As such, they are neither creating a good nor a service, but instead serving as parasites on those legitimate businesses who are providing a good (the manufacturers) or a service (the retail sector).

The returns isn't a problem, as long as you get the same thing back.

Honestly, not a whole lot of ways to complete stop scalpers. But IMO, they should definitely mitigate the bots with more/better captcha.

With returns you're still out of the shipping and fees. Which for these items can be $25+ each way ($50) plus 3%. If you sold it for $700 (roughly break even price) and did a return you're out $71.30 or more.

Stores should just do a 2 limit per account and 4 limit per shipping address for the first week.

Ebay doesn't work that way. Returned item = fee credited back to your account. Similarly, Ebay doesn't charge you if the item doesn't sell.

Craigslist is a pretty safe bet if you don't even want to deal with any of that (because the item is still highly in demand worldwide, you'd have zero problem selling one).

eBay return = you pay return shipping. Means best case scenario you're out ~$40-50.

Worst case scenario is some scammer who returns you a brick. Good luck "proving" that to eBay.

eBay return = you pay return shipping. Means best case scenario you're out ~$40-50.

Worst case scenario is some scammer who returns you a brick. Good luck "proving" that to eBay.

Yep sold a high end Sony ES Mini Disc deck and the buyer claimed "Not as descrbed" got his broken cheap Non ES model back! People suck and I had to pay for the broken decks shipping

I feel something needs to be done, scalpers are pure cancer. With a majority of brick and mortar stores closing and everything being online I feel we are headed into a world of a non government regulated middle man controlling prices. Seriously, someone needs to slap eBay, Amazon, Craigslist and any other site where scalpers are given a platform really hard. It's getting really bad...

At this point if there are hints that companies are supporting this to buy hype for their products then I hope they get black listed too, that's actual cancel culture I can get behind. I hope people figure out ways to exploit these scalpers on eBay...there has to be a way to take their livelihood away from them.

I don't know why people even deal with eBay still. So easy to get scammed as a sell. I just use FB and this site and never had an issue.

Seriously, someone needs to slap eBay, Amazon, Craigslist and any other site where scalpers are given a platform really hard. It's getting really bad...
Or just caught a significant amount of scalper a couple of time that made tax fraud evasion, on facebook it should be really easy.

I would imagine that having to deal with capital gain tax would make it quite less attractive to the small player and having to turn in into an actual business/income tax to the big one.

I feel something needs to be done, scalpers are pure cancer. With a majority of brick and mortar stores closing and everything being online I feel we are headed into a world of a non government regulated middle man controlling prices. Seriously, someone needs to slap eBay, Amazon, Craigslist and any other site where scalpers are given a platform really hard. It's getting really bad...

At this point if there are hints that companies are supporting this to buy hype for their products then I hope they get black listed too, that's actual cancel culture I can get behind. I hope people figure out ways to exploit these scalpers on eBay...there has to be a way to take their livelihood away from them.
My two main hobbies are gaming and seeing concerts. Scalpers can kick rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back