SanDisk Branding Ceases to Exist, Integrated with Western Digital

erek

[H]F Junkie
"Western Digital offers NAND flash memory products and HDDs (hard disk drives) at the top level of multiple brand products such as WD and SanDisk brands, from consumers to enterprises and large-scale data centers. We provide total storage solutions developed and mass-produced at. Among them, SanDisk Co., Ltd. has been in charge of the flash memory business, but with this change of trade name, it has become clearer that it is a Western Digital Group, making quicker decisions than ever before, and domestic customers and We aim to create a corporate structure that can further contribute to our business partners."

https://www.techpowerup.com/275202/sandisk-branding-ceases-to-exist-integrated-with-western-digital

Wow, everything we knew is changing this year - dark cyberpunk future without SanDisk branding, indeed. :borg: :confused:
I suppose we can cross off one more branding on this...

F1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.jpg

Update 10:27 UTC: Western Digital reached out to us and clarified that this organizational change only pertains to the Japanese entity of Western Digital changing its name from SanDisk Corporation to Western Digital GK. SanDisk Corporation (the Japanese entity) is 100% a subsidiary of Western Digital Corporation. Globally, there have been no changes announced for the SanDisk brand, and existing SanDisk products will continue to carry the brand.
Source: SanDisk

Yeah, it would be really stupid of them to get rid of that brand. There's a whole school of marketing-fu on why its better to have a few brands competing, even if they are all owned by the same parent company.

Whatever happens to the name, pour one out for the SanDisk Sansa SlotRadio, what I'd call the worst MP3 player of all time.

It was basically an MP3 player designed by the RIAA. You were supposed to buy music preloaded on SlotRadio cards (say, 1,000 pop/rock/rap songs each) and listen to songs like a radio station. The problem: the controls were as limited as on a radio. You couldn't play a specific track, you couldn't transfer card songs to or from your PC...

...and there was no back button.

You read that correctly. You could skip songs, but if you missed a favorite you had to skip through 999 others to get back to it. And while you could play your own music, the limited controls affected playback for that as well. SanDisk was so eager to please labels that it compromised the experience for everyone. There was no reason to get a Sansa SlotRadio unless you really didn't have refined musical tastes and were willing to spend hundreds of dollars to build out your collection. Streaming services like Spotify thankfully killed this outright.

I think this decision makes sense for SSD's. The SanDisk brand was never particularly strong there.

For USB sticks, SD Cards and things like that this is a total blunder. No other brand is stronger in this area.

Whenever I need a new USB stick i just type in "SanDisk Extreme" into the search bar. I don't even consider other brands.

I think this decision makes sense for SSD's. The SanDisk brand was never particularly strong there.

For USB sticks, SD Cards and things like that this is a total blunder. No other brand is stronger in this area.

Whenever I need a new USB stick i just type in "SanDisk Extreme" into the search bar. I don't even consider other brands.
Sandisk was strong with SSD’s around 5-7 years ago with the extreme series SATA3 drives. I’m still running multiple drives and they still max out the interface and have been rock solid reliable.

Dunno about that chart where it sais HGST 3.5's went to Toshiba and 2.5's went to WD.
I've bought more than one white labeled over HGST 3.5 in an external WinnDixie box.

Sandisk was strong with SSD’s around 5-7 years ago with the extreme series SATA3 drives. I’m still running multiple drives and they still max out the interface and have been rock solid reliable.

Their Ultra line of SATA SSDs are great, practically the same as the WD Blue SATA drives. I used to be on Crucial drives, but they stopped being the cheapest option that wasn't very low end. Paid $180 for my 2TB Sandisk Ultra drive last year, TLC. It isn't NVMe but it is plenty fast for most things and makes a great affordable drive for those that need storage. Most of the good NVMe drives are $270 or so for 2TB.

Their Ultra line of SATA SSDs are great, practically the same as the WD Blue SATA drives. I used to be on Crucial drives, but they stopped being the cheapest option that wasn't very low end. Paid $180 for my 2TB Sandisk Ultra drive last year, TLC. It isn't NVMe but it is plenty fast for most things and makes a great affordable drive for those that need storage. Most of the good NVMe drives are $270 or so for 2TB.
Yeah the TLC based Ultra's are good as well, I have one for larger SSD storage. However, the Extreme line-up before that was faster/better. That was before their WD acquisition.

Why kill off this brand as a whole. For USB thumb drives and SD cards SanDisk has a huge brand advantage. Why give that up?

Sansa is a media player brand under Sandisk.
Edit, looks like they dropped the Sansa branding in favor of just calling it a Sandisk player.

Interesting.

I thought in the age of smart phones media players were dead.

Does Apple even sell the iPod anymore?

Yeah I agree with some of you. Why get rid of it. Whenever I think SD cards I think sandisk first. I also really like their ssds I bought before.

Makes sense. I bought an old iPhone (I think the 7) for development, but I didn't even realize they still made iPods, I would have got that instead.

Interesting.

I thought in the age of smart phones media players were dead.

Does Apple even sell the iPod anymore?
Some people prefer a dedicated MP3 player plus there's HiFi ones.
I use the Sansa Clip line for cycling since it has dedicated buttons and a easy to remember ui to navigate without looking at the player.
Plus it's far cheaper than a multi hundred phone.

Also my Redmi Note 9S has weak output. Might be because of mandated restrictions since it's the global version.

Wow! I thought those were long gone. Maybe for the 2 people that don't have a smart phone, that would be useful.

Or maybe of you just want to leave one in the car, or next to the kitchen amp or something like that.

It's not bad for $200.

I always hated Apples sync format though. Always wondered why they didn't design it so you could just drop your media library on it, rather than needing special software to sync and create xml files.

Such a nuisance.
Some people prefer a dedicated MP3 player plus there's HiFi ones.
I use the Sansa Clip line for cycling since it has dedicated buttons and a easy to remember ui to navigate without looking at the player.
Plus it's far cheaper than a multi hundred phone.

Also my Redmi Note 9S has weak output. Might be because of mandated restrictions since it's the global version.

Would be interesting to use an old Android phone with a USB adapter and a good USB DAC as a more "audiophile" option.

I thought about using digital picture frames back when they came out with MP3 playback, SD slots and audio line out in the mid 00s.
Even bought one of the Ruko tubes that streamed from a network.

I used to use Sandisk cards until I got a dash cam. I have since switched to Samsung as the write endurance is far superior.

In both my VIOFO A119 and A199 V3, the Sandisk cards lasted about 12 months and then started to freeze up the cameras. Put in Samsung and now the cameras work. camera records in 1440P and 1660P respectively. each gets about 2 hours of use a day.

Same experience re. Dashcams, except it gets hot here and they seemed to die faster than 12 months. I changed to samsung high endurance that mentioned dashcams in the marketing materials, no more dead SD cards since then in 3 cars and a couple of trucks.

Back