Samsung Odyssey ARK 55" 4K Gaming monitor

These look just like the Samsung ARK,
IMG_3260.JPG

They are down to around $2700 for Black Friday on the Samsung site. With financing i'm considering it.

Get the 55" 95B Samsung OLED instead. It's on sale now for $1449, does over 1000 nits HDR, way better colors than LG oleds and does 144 Hz.

Get the 55" 95B Samsung OLED instead. It's on sale now for $1449, does over 1000 nits HDR, way better colors than LG oleds and does 144 Hz.

I picked this thing up in April for $2200 and it was worth every penny. It's a steal at $1449. Anyone who has the space for a 55" or 65" gaming monitor should definitely consider the S95B.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I picked this thing up in April for $2200 and it was worth every penny. It's a steal at $1449. Anyone who has the space for a 55" or 65" gaming monitor should definitely consider the S95B.

Have you been running 144 Hz mode? Any issue.

I'd wait on the qdoleds. They are too new and not enough time to determine whether they are burning in or not.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ro...ung-s95b-qd-oled-substantial-burn-in-3-months
If history might repeat itself the organic LEDs may fry themselves to a crisp. I'm still waiting for rtings to give some concrete information about the durability of qdoleds. They have a massive new test going on they just announced a couple weeks ago. Going to be interesting to see how much burn is on all these lg oleds and newer qdoleds panels :pompous:

I would go for the bulletproof Ark 10 out of 10 times vs any oled lol.

I'd wait on the qdoleds. They are too new and not enough time to determine whether they are burning in or not.

All the normal caveats with OLED TV's apply to the S95B for PC use. I've been using mine daily for seven months with no burn-in, but I do babysit the screen and it's only used for media consumption. Black screen wallpaper, taskbar hidden, windows on separate monitor, etc. I think it's worth it for the image quality, so I take the steps to mitigate the risk. Certainly go for the ARK if you need a bulletproof, single screen solution.

Have you been running 144 Hz mode? Any issue.

I haven't overclocked my panel but I know people over on AVSforum are doing it without issue. User L337Fool has a great settings and overclocking guide there.

I spoke with Samsung today and there is no firmware update on the horizon atm. They said they would feedback my requests to the software development team (more than one hdmi input source and more apps available for multi view). I'm hearing from the internet that the multi hdmi input may be a hardware problem. However, surely they can add more apps to multi view? Such as BBC iPlayer or netflix??

I spoke with Samsung today and there is no firmware update on the horizon atm. They said they would feedback my requests to the software development team (more than one hdmi input source and more apps available for multi view). I'm hearing from the internet that the multi hdmi input may be a hardware problem. However, surely they can add more apps to multi view? Such as BBC iPlayer or netflix??
Sounds to me they have zero interest in putting any work into it and will instead just use it as a concept to release a better version later based on feedback. This is honestly par for the course for any Samsung displays. They might get a few patches over a year but then tend to get replaced by something better.

Reactions: elvn
like this
Wanted to try out a TV as a monitor again, so after some research went with the 55" S95B. Considered the C2 as i had wanted a 48"-50" size, but i think i'll be happier with the Samsung.

I like the qd-oled spec wise though at 55" I'd have to sit around 4' away plus or minus. Not that I haven't sat at up to almost 48" away with my 48 cx so it's doable for my setup.

Samsung's quality control has been brought up a lot in their gaming monitors and tvs, and their Ark has some bugs/lagginess/signal drops and the multi source things etc too from reports. LG has had issues too for sure though but samsung tv's (and appliances) seem to get a lot of red flags.

Like kasakka said their update history has been poor in the past and can end.

A big thing for me is LG's modern history of cranking out fw fixes and delivering on promised features and fixes, at least on their "gaming" OLEDs. Set a standard as far as I'm concerned so it would be tough to me to switch at this point even with the gains of QD-OLED. Sony also sandbagged VRR support etc for over a year, confined AutoHDR on their ps5 to only their most modern bravia line in a proprietary move, and doesn't have as good of a fw/update history and delivery of promised features in a timely manner if at all.

The other thing I don't like about samsung at all is that there is no Dolby Vision. That might not be a big deal for some people but it is for me, especially if it's a screen that will ever pull duty as movie and TV show viewing in my ownership lifespan.

like this
All the normal caveats with OLED TV's apply to the S95B for PC use. I've been using mine daily for seven months with no burn-in, but I do babysit the screen and it's only used for media consumption. Black screen wallpaper, taskbar hidden, windows on separate monitor, etc. I think it's worth it for the image quality, so I take the steps to mitigate the risk. Certainly go for the ARK if you need a bulletproof, single screen solution.

I haven't overclocked my panel but I know people over on AVSforum are doing it without issue. User L337Fool has a great settings and overclocking guide there.
Yea makes sense. I am not in the market for the ark or any other display for the next decade. I am more than happy with my 50" QN90B mini LED display. It does 144hz/HDR/VRR all simultaneously. I haven't had a single issue, not one. I couldn't be happier. Not worried about firmware updates or anything. I updated the firmware twice and it doesn't need any firmware updates anymore. I waited for years and years for something at this size that can do all the things I mentioned all at the same time in big, beautiful fashion. In ten years, I'll see about upgrading, maybe lol. I'm not worried about the new displayport spec, not worried about 240hz, not worried about anything. Boi it feels good to not chase the next best thing and actually be fully content and happy with what you have. That's truly how I feel.

like this
Samsung blundered and pushed an update that made all the HDR colors washed out in game mode. Nothing you can do to fix it; can’t go back to previous firmware. Many people having the same issue on the Samsung forums. Avoid until this is resolved!!! Make sure to turn off auto updates if you already purchased and are waiting on delivery. Wish I could return it.

On my S95B the colors look okay. Definitely look great in AC Valhalla. 55" screen makes it more fun for me. :)

Samsung blundered and pushed an update that made all the HDR colors washed out in game mode. Nothing you can do to fix it; can’t go back to previous firmware. Many people having the same issue on the Samsung forums. Avoid until this is resolved!!! Make sure to turn off auto updates if you already purchased and are waiting on delivery. Wish I could return it.
Damn. I guess always double check online if the update is good before taking the dive. Like I won't update my displays firmware anymore from a "if it ain't broke don't fix fix it" mentality. That sucks dude maybe another firmware is in the works sooner or later.

make sure you check your hdmi black/range settings and any other settings that might have defaulted to something different. Also PC mode/icon for the hdmi input so you get RGB/444 etc. etc. FW updates can set everything back to factory. Just saying though it could be an actual fw issue. I'd check more forums b/c I'm sure it'd be reported somewhere if that widespread.

Yea he's right even after every driver update or a simple unplug and plug back in all the settings in the display go to default. Gotta go set everything back up to fastest black level HDMi input to max bandwidth etc like 3 or 4 features need to be enabled again.

Nope, nothing is fixing it. Went through all settings on display and NVIDIA Control Panel, went to window HDR settings, made sure nothing changed, played around with some settings, then with frustration decided to do a factory reset. Still bad HDR. I had to turn off HDR (which the standard picture looks amazing for SDR - so at least I can wait til they do the next update).

Seems the Samsung ARK is getting a 2023 update, finally bringing some features people wanted from the original:

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung...-gaming-monitor-odyssey-neo-g9-57-inch/#_ftn4

TL;DR:
  • 4 input multiview support (3 inputs in portrait mode)
  • 3x HDMI 2.1 + 1x DP 1.4 inputs
  • KVM feature to switch between systems.
  • Available in October.
Otherwise seems to be largely the same product so might be a good option if you don't mind the 55" size and 4K res.

Of course it's a load of bollocks for original ARK owners. Samsung should offer some upgrade kit at least or trade deal.

Back