Samsung 990 Pro Win11 file copy seems slow

Tanquen

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got a new build with new Win11 install. I work with VMs a lot and that is normally where you get to see the SSD performance.

I know if I'm coping a large file on the same SSD it will not be as fast but something is up with the 990 Pro. It goes right to 400MBs or so and stays there. Like there is no or very little cache.

1684435506879.png

Samsung Magician seems to think the SSD is fast.
1684435469423.png

If I make a similar large file copy on my old laptop with older slower everything it's a bit faster.

No name SSD the laptop came with.
1684435825848.png

This is a 970 EVO data drive in the same laptop.
1684435659161.png

Last edited:
It goes right to 400MBs or so and stays there
Seem like there an issue (os or drive), I just tested on a 2tb 980 pro, on the OS partition, with a 24gb file copied on the same drive, using the basic windows explorer copy on Windows 11, start at 1.8gbs for a very small amount of time than rapidly go down to 1gb or so for the rest of the time.

Seem like there an issue (os or drive), I just tested on a 2tb 980 pro, on the OS partition, with a 24gb file copied on the same drive, using the basic windows explorer copy on Windows 11, start at 1.8gbs for a very small amount of time than rapidly go down to 1gb or so for the rest of the time.
That is what I would hope to see. The old laptop is faster with older hardware. I know that being full can slow them down but all three drives are close to being full. It seems odd the the Samsung Magician seems to be ok but when I go to copy a file is way too slow.

I just booted to the second 990 Pro used only for personal work. It's much faster and has more free space so it smees the 990 Pro is more susceptible to having low drive space. I'll try and move some files off it and see.
1684443456855.png

Last edited:
Possible common issue?
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=reddit.com+Samsung+990+Pro+slow+speeds&t=brave&ia=web

What shortcuts did Samsung take on this drive...

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/12rrfcl/samsung_pro_series_has_lost_its_way_and_is/
Today i'm going to tell why i think samsung pro series is going in the wrong way/the way of bigger profits and is becoming a scam , i was looking at 970 evo plus(my current drive) reviews the other day when i noticed something very strange , and that was samsung 970 pro and the strange part is , it has a constant write speed of 2700mb/s and by constant i mean you could write up the whole drive and wont drop below 2700mb/s(the only other drives i've seen that on was intel optane drives like 905p and p5800x ,etc)

I'm not sure where the cutoff is, but apparently 1.5 terabyte of the 1.8 terabytes available being used is too much and slows the drive to around 400 megabytes a second. So you buy a 2 terabyte drive that's really 1.8 and then if you want full speed you can only use 1.3 or 1.4 maybe before your speed drops to 400 megabytes a second. I know this is a thing but just never noticed it before.
Why would anyone need a 4TB SSD? So you can have 3.6TB of storage and use 2.5 to 3TB at full speed.

Here’s the reason:

Cost. NAND flash chips that can sustain more than about 2 GB/s on extremely large file writes remains exponentially more expensive than those that can’t come anywhere close to meeting it. And had the SSD makers continued to use such super-fast NAND, SSDs would not have cost as low as they currently do - but instead would have still cost today hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars per TB. At those prices the mainstream consumers would have been stuck with SATA SSDs - or worse, spinning HDDs - in new PCs for many years to come.

Last edited:
Back