Samsung 2.5” SATA SSD replacement screw

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
Bought some used Samsung 2.5” SATA SSDs and they are missing the screw that holds the case together. Does anyone know what size I need or where to get replacements?

Attachments

• DA6E24CF-2000-4C36-B6A6-006253F9F022.jpeg
    DA6E24CF-2000-4C36-B6A6-006253F9F022.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 0
On a related note, are these supposed to be easy to open? Even without the screw, they don’t want to come apart.

There might be another screw under the sticker. Why open it? You can use CrystalDiskInfo to see if if the serial number and size match what is on the outside label.

All the drives checked out in Samsung Magician software. Now to find some screws.

Two possibilities. They are counterfeit, or else Samsung decided the screw was unnecessary. Either way, you don't need a screw.

I think you can use a standard 2.5" hard drive mounting screw to replace the missing Samsung drive case screw. If you need to buy some they are called "M3, 3mm" type screws. Here's a link to some on Amazon but shop around as you might find some for cheaper.

I bought a large lot of working SSDs awhile back and for whatever reason only the Samsung drive was missing the same exact screw. I'm guessing they just aren't secured very well or the tolerances for the threading are a bit loose. Just to keep in mind I don't know if different model Samsung drives use different type screws. Mine was a 120GB 850 Evo. From the pictures it looks like the original screw uses some weird pentalobe driver to interface with the head. It's unlikely there was any malice involved as there is also another screw under the label which is much harder to remove without signs of tampering.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think you can use a standard 2.5" hard drive mounting screw to replace the missing Samsung drive case screw. If you need to buy some they are called "M3, 3mm" type screws. Here's a link to some on Amazon but shop around as you might find some for cheaper.

I bought a large lot of working SSDs awhile back and for whatever reason only the Samsung drive was missing the same exact screw. I'm guessing they just aren't secured very well or the tolerances for the threading are a bit loose. Just to keep in mind I don't know if different model Samsung drives use different type screws. Mine was a 120GB 850 Evo. From the pictures it looks like the original screw uses some weird pentalobe driver to interface with the head. It's unlikely there was any malice involved as there is also another screw under the label which is much harder to remove without signs of tampering.
Thanks for the info. Glad I didn’t force it open. Took some screws from an older SSDs and they worked great.
I also doubt there was any tampering with these SSDs. The casing is a little scratched up so they might have gotten knocked around or something. Maybe lost a screw in the process.
They are small disks so seems silly for someone to try and counterfeit them. And everything checked out in Samsung software so I think they’re good to go.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back