"Safe" VGA Cable Wattage For Rosewill Photon 1200?

Neapolitan6th

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello all,

Got an interesting power supply on my hands. The Rosewill Photon 1200. It has 3 12-pin VGA inputs as opposed to the normal 8 pin.
a84785c3-dcee-41c2-8b58-ae9c2945a084.jpg

I read that 288 watts is the normal max wattage to use for 8->8 pin VGA cables from what I read here.

However, with the unique 12 pin cables.. I was wondering if the total wattage would be increased? (The default cables are 12 pin to dual 8 pin VGA connectors) I am curious if this would enable 432 watts max from the 12 pin ... Y-split to dual 8 pins with 216 watts to each.

Thanks!

A regular 8 pin (6+2) can do around 500w if attached to an adequate 12v rail (like your psu has)

Your situation sounds like you have more then the 3 power carrying wires of a 8pin so I would say max for that 12pin is probably close to 1kw

According to various sources, the 12 pin proprietary power connector Nvidia uses is rated for up to 600W. Whether you get that though is entirely reliant on how robust the wire and especially connector pins and crimps are. If there's a wiring fault, or too thin a gauge of wire, something is going to burn.

You could theoretically use a splitter, but some of those connections are sense pins, so the actual usable capacity will be lower. I wouldn't recommend splitters on such high power devices, you're just asking for trouble when using those.

I have a few of these exact PSUs under a different brand "HIGH POWER", pretty much the same thing with the 12-pin pci-e cables with three 8-pin PCI-E connectors on each cable. They are built by Sirtec I believe, not top-tier but decent.

I have a few of these exact PSUs under a different brand "HIGH POWER", pretty much the same thing with the 12-pin pci-e cables with three 8-pin PCI-E connectors on each cable. They are built by Sirtec I believe, not top-tier but decent.
Good to know. I'm a novice miner and I'm realizing the pain of having enough cables to power both risers and the graphics cards.

I was trying to see if I could power more than 2 risers off of one 12 pin. 3->4 risers off one 12-pin would be ideal.

Unfortunately I do not have any molex cables with my PSU and no cheap ways to replace them. (Though eventually I am considering making my own).

At this point I am just considering buying another PSU, but it would be nice to utilize more of that 1200 watts if possible.

Good to know. I'm a novice miner and I'm realizing the pain of having enough cables to power both risers and the graphics cards.

I was trying to see if I could power more than 2 risers off of one 12 pin. 3->4 risers off one 12-pin would be ideal.

Unfortunately I do not have any molex cables with my PSU and no cheap ways to replace them. (Though eventually I am considering making my own).

At this point I am just considering buying another PSU, but it would be nice to utilize more of that 1200 watts if possible.
Four risers off one of these cable should be totally fine especially if you're running Nvidia cards.

Back