S8 screen protector hell

marshac

American Hero
Whenever I buy a new phone I usually also pick up two different screen protectors simply to cover my bases in case one sucks. I just got my S8 today in the mail along with a nice Spigen case as well as one glass and one wet-mount screen protector. The case is nice- it's like one I had for the S7 edge. The screens however... the glass screen protector I purchased had zero reviews at the time... that's the problem with a preorder- any "reviews" are likely fakes. Anyway, zero glue to hold the glass to the phone. The wet-mount offers less protection, but I figured it was more of a sure bet since I've had very little luck with glass screen protectors on curved phones (even my current V20)- the protector went on fine and covered everything perfectly, but it's not case friendly at all- my wife had this same problem on her S7 edge with a Zagg she had applied at a mall. So far it seems like a trade off- protect the screen and don't use a case, or use a case and expose the screen to scratches.

Has anyone found a glass screen protector that works well with a case yet?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As the S8 has Gorilla Glass 5 I can't really imagine it's going to require a screen protector but I know a lot of folks just have to have them. Personally I prefer to use the matte antiglare iVisor protectors from Moshi but the downside is they only make them for a very small number of devices, sadly, which really pisses me off - I know that companies, especially Moshi - only like to milk the higher end devices like iPhones and Galaxies and whatever since they charge at least $25 for the iVisor protectors, even so I wish they'd support more devices overall.

Can't stand the tempered glass ones myself, never liked 'em and can't really see them providing that much more protection, I suppose it all depends on how the device is hit or crushed. I would think that companies could find a way to taper off the edges of the tempered glass to make it easier for a case to function on such devices - the Moshi ones I just mentioned (they're not glass but a polycarbonate material) do actually taper off and get thinner towards the edge which is pretty cool. Why manufacturers don't do that with the actual tempered glass ones doesn't make much sense.

Having said all that, for the S8 (and not the S8+ but they have those as well) I did some research and turned this one up with some "good" reviews so far but the one reviewer on Amazon said it doesn't fit properly so be aware of that - and it says it's "Case Friendly" so who knows:

http://www.icarez.com/icarez_productshow.php?guid=201704140522465384

Given the S8/S8+ are so new and still a few days away from wide release I'm sure there will be others that appear over the coming weeks and they'll get reviewed as well.

Addition:

Saw mention of a brand called Olixar in a few reviews as well, might be something to check into as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
GG4 scratched really easily. It's been designed to reduce shattering, which makes it easier to scratch. I don't know about GG5, but they've been trending more towards the shatterproof angle for years now.

As for glass protectors? Forget it. They haven't figured out how to do curved tempered glass protectors properly, at an effective price point. Sure, you could have some made for $75, but nobody would buy them.

As you know, wet protectors feel like crap. I've had relatively decent luck with Spigen's plastic protectors. It's a smooth feel, dry applied, a half decent cross between tempered and TPU.

Tiberian - glass protectors aren't for drops. You drop a phone, you run the risk of cracking it. It's mainly to protect against scratches, but the idiot general public thinks it's a miraculous force field. That being said, I swear by them these days. My V10, Note 5, iPhone 7+, my wife's iphone 7, they feel just like the real screen (or better in the iPhone's case) if you buy the right brand.

Oh, and iCarez? AWFUL. In almost every product they make. Just garbage.

This is one of the reasons I won't buy a phone with those curved screens; you can't make glass screen protectors for them or at least ones that fit right at all. If you look for glass screen protectors for any other Samsung phones with the edge screens, you'll see that they hardly exist or have bad reviews because they don't fit right.

They have saved mine and my wife's phone screens from shattering twice from drops, so that's kind of a deal breaker for me. Plus it saves the screen from scratches and they feel much better than any soft/plastic screen protectors, esp. if they're oleo-phobic.

Yeah, I dislike the curved glass trend for the same reason. Plastic protectors feel like crap and you're fooling yourself if you think Gorilla Glass can't scratch.

Funny enough, since I moved to the iPhone, there's ONE chinese company that's doing full screen protectors correctly, hopefully it expands to other devices as well.

Basically, it's a smaller flat glass protector that covers the visible portion of the LCD, and then colored TPU plastic which extends outward and curves down at the edges.

Upside? Full coverage, works and looks great, with no glass halo. Downside? There's little to no oleophobic coating on the plastic, so while the glass doesn't get all smudged up, the plastic does.

This is how mine looks - https://i.imgur.com/rjkDaUn.jpg

Frankly, I don't mind the smaller protectors that don't cover 100% of the screen, if you use the phone with a case. It ensures there will be no lifting of the glass, and it feels fine. Obviously, this doesn't apply to Samsung, since the curve is so god damned pronounced, but on something like the Note 5, S6, S7 flat, HTC 10 or the G6, it's fine for me.

Honestly though, the only phones I worry about scratching are Samsungs. I've had (literally) 60 smartphones, almost every single one caseless, and the ONLY one that scratched was an S6, which was sitting on my desk. I have no idea HOW it scratched, but after that, I put a TGSP on my S7, iPhone 7+, and my wife's iphones.

pretty much all flagship phones these days have curved edges (some more than others) iphone, the new LG, the pixel all have a curve in them at the edges of the glass for a more ergonomic feel. Of course none of them have the curve that samsung has, but they suffer from the same issues with screen protectors.

My S7 looks pathetic with any type of screen protector so I went commando. But damn it scratches easily and I even keep it separate from my wallet/keys when i put it in my pocket. I dunno about gorilla glass 5 but it would be awesome if they could be both scratch and shatter resistant.

You can't. The more scratch proof it is, the easier it is to shatter, and vice versa.

Whenever I buy a new phone I usually also pick up two different screen protectors simply to cover my bases in case one sucks. I just got my S8 today in the mail along with a nice Spigen case as well as one glass and one wet-mount screen protector. The case is nice- it's like one I had for the S7 edge. The screens however... the glass screen protector I purchased had zero reviews at the time... that's the problem with a preorder- any "reviews" are likely fakes. Anyway, zero glue to hold the glass to the phone. The wet-mount offers less protection, but I figured it was more of a sure bet since I've had very little luck with glass screen protectors on curved phones (even my current V20)- the protector went on fine and covered everything perfectly, but it's not case friendly at all- my wife had this same problem on her S7 edge with a Zagg she had applied at a mall. So far it seems like a trade off- protect the screen and don't use a case, or use a case and expose the screen to scratches.

Has anyone found a glass screen protector that works well with a case yet?

Which Spigen case did you go with? I'm debating between the neo hybrid and rugged armor.

That looks pretty good too. Does it add a lot of bulk?

No, it's actually quite slim. This is the case on my 7 Plus:

https://i.imgur.com/N6f87MT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/2QLnnTr.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ojkpifW.jpg

Keep in mind, there are two versions of the "hybrid" case (the slim one), one with squares edges, one with round. I've had both, and I prefer the rounded's hand feel FAR more than the squared. There's also the Unicorn Beetle, which is an otterbox-like tank of a case. I never saw the need for those, but I don't throw my phones around.

I use the spigen case that has metal round edges and black textured back. I love that it blends with the phone and continues the premium build the phone has. It does some weight but I don't mind

Which Spigen case did you go with? I'm debating between the neo hybrid and rugged armor.

I got the Ultra Hybrid and actually like it quite a bit- It's a low enough profile so it doesn't add significant bulk, but from looking at it from she sides and how it protects the curved edges of the screen it looks pretty good. I've used the same case series on other phones and have never had a problem despite multiple drops.

I avoided the TGP even while using the S7E. I don't need to experiment this time. I have lost more money while getting the perfect TGP for the S7E. At the last got one wet install from the gadgetshieldz. That does the work perfectly but there's no fall protection. I had few drops but there's no crack on the screen or at the back of the device. got few dents and more than 8 months as of now, only the side protectors is been chipped off the back, front and camera protector stays fine.
https://www.gadgetshieldz.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-screen-protectors-covers-cases.html

Just do what I did and scratch your phone 45 minutes after unboxing it because the side of your car seat is a meat slicer. It's no longer pure thus screen protector serves no purpose for me now.

Was just perusing a few phone threads including the G6 forum ..where the topic is 'it doesn't have a removable battery'

The flagships are now all leaning toward curved screens, Samsung in both S8 offerings, Apple ordered a bazillion curved OLED screen from their biggest rival who stole everything from them anyway for the iPhone 8 and hear Google is leaning that way in Pixel refresh .

IMHO there are only two reasons , styling - to not look dated .. and glass screen protectors will not protect and a phone not in a case has minimal metal in the border thanks to those new extra slim bezels ... more breakage , period , happy phone manufacturers. The new drop tests are all showing one drop probably ok 4 ft ...but almost always shattered 2nd drop same height ..

Oh and lets not forget about the carriers ...every freaking phone sold by them is all a 'lease' or 'installment' with the balance DUE when lost stolen or broken . They love this trend also .

Kenny

As the S8 has Gorilla Glass 5 I can't really imagine it's going to require a screen protector but I know a lot of folks just have to have them................

Cracked my screen yesterday, I am so pissed at myself.

I was getting into my car after work, a guy was parked too close to my car and I was having to hold my door so it wouldn't hit this guy's car, and I had my lunch box in the other hand, and just hung up talking to my wife.

I reached in to set the phone on my dash so I could squeeze into the car ..... and the fucking slick assed phone slid right on off the dash, shot through the crack in the open door, and landed on the corner of the phone and it's cracked and spiderwebed in the lower left corner.

My wife just got through telling me to buy a damned case but BestBuy had few choices and sold out of screen protectors. I am so angry with this bullshit phone and my poor choices.

Best Buy says even with the insurance, which costs like $10 a month, 2 years, that's like 240 dollars, the replaced screen will cost a 200 dollar deductible. Half the price of the phone to replace a cracked screen.

The screen is so damned fragile, do not trust what you think this screen might take. It's easy to break, and what the hell good is all that prettyness if the damn thing has to be boxed in a pellican case to keep from breaking it?

I wish like hell I hadn't bought this phone.

I know breaking the screen was my fault on a couple of levels, but the bigger fault is that I stupidly bought this phone to begin with.

Just do what I did and scratch your phone 45 minutes after unboxing it because the side of your car seat is a meat slicer. It's no longer pure thus screen protector serves no purpose for me now.

A screen protector would still help actually, since when it's applied, it completely fills and hides the crack so you can't even see it. Unless it's a deep gouge at least it will still help and be worth applying one, IMO.

I was getting into my car after work, a guy was parked too close to my car and I was having to hold my door so it wouldn't hit this guy's car, and I had my lunch box in the other hand, and just hung up talking to my wife.

I reached in to set the phone on my dash so I could squeeze into the car ..... and the fucking slick assed phone slid right on off the dash, shot through the crack in the open door, and landed on the corner of the phone and it's cracked and spiderwebed in the lower left corner.

My wife just got through telling me to buy a damned case but BestBuy had few choices and sold out of screen protectors. I am so angry with this bullshit phone and my poor choices.

Best Buy says even with the insurance, which costs like $10 a month, 2 years, that's like 240 dollars, the replaced screen will cost a 200 dollar deductible. Half the price of the phone to replace a cracked screen.

The screen is so damned fragile, do not trust what you think this screen might take. It's easy to break, and what the hell good is all that prettyness if the damn thing has to be boxed in a pellican case to keep from breaking it?

I know breaking the screen was my fault on a couple of levels, but the bigger fault is that I stupidly bought this phone to begin with.

Damn, that's rough man. I'd be pissed too. Can you still get on Samsung's insurance? Because it's only like $2/month more than the carrier insurance but the deductible is $100. Crazy cuz my friend just dropped his S8 too; it was only a 2 foot drop onto tile though and his phone is toast now. He didn't even think to check it immediately because it was such a light drop and pulled it out later only to find it shattered.

So this is definitely a PA to S8 owners that you should definitely put that shit in a case or something. Should be a given anyways with the rounded/exposed glass sides. The irony is that my friend was just about to order one of these too:

Looks like someone finally made a well-fitting screen protector for the Edge display. Too bad it costs $45, but I guess it's still worth it if it fits and protects well. I'm sure they'll still shatter when you drop them, but as long as it saves the Gorilla Glass underneath, that's the whole point. Some people here have been confused that a glass screen protector isn't doing its job if it shatters still, but normally they're so cheap and replaceable it's not a big deal to throw a new one on it. But that's not as much the case with this one.

A screen protector would still help actually, since when it's applied, it completely fills and hides the crack so you can't even see it. Unless it's a deep gouge at least it will still help and be worth applying one, IMO.

:( Damn phones are so slippery. My case shipping got delayed a week so the day I got my phone as I was driving to work it slid out of my pocket in between the car seats and apparently there's some sharp screw heads and metal there. Took a nice chip/gouge into the screen. It's not super obvious but you can definitely see it on a black background. Luckily it's towards the bottom so it doesn't affect the VR. I am pretty sure I even scratched it with a grain of sand the other day. Fuck you Samsung and your weak glass.

Damn that fucking sucks man. I really hate how slick Samsung makes their new phones, too much fucking glass! I love the performance but fuck it's just not worth the price and heartache when it finally breaks. After I scratched mine I immediately went and bought some shitty bumper case until the official flip one (I bought using their $50 gift card) showed up a week later. I am glad I did because honestly that phone was one humid day from slipping out of my hand. Also fuck people that park too close, I hate these assholes. Someone did it to me once and I had to enter in from the passenger side. I made sure he had a bad day by putting tracking label stickers all over his windshield and pouring water on them, have fun peeling those off. Now I always make sure to park next to someone on my driver side.

Honestly these phones are getting weaker by the model. I dropped my GS6 4 times with not even a scratch. My GS4 I dropped an unhealthy amount of times that I can't even remember, only slight chips on the edge but NO SCRATCHES.

Last edited:
Damn, that's rough man. I'd be pissed too. Can you still get on Samsung's insurance? ..................

I probably could ... or could have. After work yesterday I went over to BestBuy and bought their insurance, the let me buy it knowing the deal. Then I'll "have my accident and take it to them later, maybe Sunday. The manager was saying it was $200 deductible but the girl ringing it up told me it was cheaper cause the vanilla S8 price is under that threshold and runs $160 for a screen replacement, not $200.

The real deal that has me feeling better though is that bought a case for it and my wife hasn't seen it yet. In a couple days, I'll have my accident and my wife won't know it happened before I bought the case so I won't have to hear about it for ...... eternity.

That Meatloaf song haunts me to this day ...... "praying for the end of time ........ it's all that I can do"

The real deal that has me feeling better though is that bought a case for it and my wife hasn't seen it yet. In a couple days, I'll have my accident and my wife won't know it happened before I bought the case so I won't have to hear about it for ...... eternity.

Haha, I know that feeling.
"Remember when I told you so?"
God, fucking, damnit..

Haha, I know that feeling.
"Remember when I told you so?"
God, fucking, damnit..

Yup, if I thought it would work, I get a lawyer to draft up an agreement sort of like a post nup. I'd gladly agree to pay her to go to a hypnotist and "condition" her mind so that she can't do the "I told you so ..." thing ever again.

It's like a mental version of cut-n-replace;

Find "I told you so"
Replace with "Baby, do that thing I like again"

I swear the divorce rate and violence in the home would plummet :ROFLMAO:

This is exactly why I had an Otterbox and screen protector before the phone showed up...

This is exactly why I had an Otterbox and screen protector before the phone showed up...

You were smart doing so.

They were sold out of the screen protectors, but I should have bought a case. I have one now though, It's made by Speck and I like the "ridged" back, it's not as slick as some of the others.

You were smart doing so.

They were sold out of the screen protectors, but I should have bought a case. I have one now though, It's made by Speck and I like the "ridged" back, it's not as slick as some of the others.

So I'm on my second screen protector. I'm only 2 days in and the first one has come up on the edges. So much for being 'case friendly' - I have a feeling I'll be going through several more before I find a good one. I use the wet application ones and a heat gun. Same as putting clear bras on the cars.

So I just realized last night why I didn't care for the Otterbox I have on the phone, it's a Defender series, so it has the soft grippy rubber on the outside. The commuter is what I had before, which is hard on the outside and the softer rubber is what touches the phone. Anyways, I noticed Pelican makes cases - and screen protectors. The protector they make is a glass style and expensive - but it says it has a lifetime guarantee, you break it, they replace it. Anyone ever tried them?

Back