Ryzen 9 5950X = $499.00 @ Newegg

Man, you read that chart completely differently than I do. Averaged between single and multi it's not really a big loss for the 5950X, and it will almost certainly use less power than the Intel is going to. And the 5950X is almost 2 years old.

The 5950X can also be configured to 65W mode, where it maintains most of its performance while barely getting warm enough to melt butter.

$499 is a crazy price.

Newegg has the Ryzen 9 5950X on sale for $499.00, which is pretty nice if you're looking for an in-socket upgrade. :cool:

However, if the leaked benchmarks of the 13600K are accurate, this might not be a stellar deal for folks looking to build a new system from scratch.
About 4 months ago I purchased a 5950x for $599.00. Compared to discrete video cards the 5950x price has yet to drop significantly. A hell of a CPU which I use at least some of the 16 cores for video and photo editing. I'm not gamer. If I was buying a gaming specific CPU, 5900x is a wiser choice.

Last edited:
Man, you read that chart completely differently than I do. Averaged between single and multi it's not really a big loss for the 5950X, and it will almost certainly use less power than the Intel is going to. And the 5950X is almost 2 years old.

The 5950X can also be configured to 65W mode, where it maintains most of its performance while barely getting warm enough to melt butter.

$499 is a crazy price.
Yes, you make a good point about the low-power mode and efficiency of the 5950X. It seems Intel is using the brute force approach lately.

How does this compare to 3950x? 10% IPC?
A little more than that, maybe up to 25% depending on the situation. 3900X to 5950X was a pretty noticeable improvement for me. However I also added 8 more threads.

I got my 5950X for $530 about 2 months ago.

Depends on if you want to upgrade your entire system or just your CPU. If you wanted to wait a bit to buy a new motherboard, new ram, etc. then sure, go for the eventual 13900k. However if you're also willing to do all that, I'd wait for "leaked" benchmarks of the ryzen 7950X.

5950x is a steal at that price - definitely worth every penny, especially for a chip-only upgrade. Pricing for new motherboards has gotten ugly though for anything but the lowest end. The Crosshair VI Extreme I am running now was the absolute pinnacle of of X370 board design and cost $400 new. With the updated BIOS, it is still an excellent board right now. That $400 price tag is only good for a solid mid-range board now, though. The high-end X570 boards are definitely priced well into Crazytown.

If you are planning on spending $1k+ on an upgrade and can wait, then do so.

Like others have said, if you have a MB with an older cpu then this could be a great drop in upgrade.

These 5950x deals are awesome. Newegg and Amazon have an Asus x570 that will run this decently for $140.

I have this and a crosshair hero VIII. The day to day performance difference is negligible. Only the enthusiasts and those really wanting to push every tiny bit of performance will notice a difference.

1658703702464.png

1658703612336.png

$499 is a crazy price.
That's the 13600k which.....will probably not cost more than $300 new. The 5950x will probably still scale better for long workloads, because all of its cores are big cores. Whereas 8 of the 13600k's cores are little cores. Indeed, power usage will be higher. Although, you can limit the power on Intel, as well. and it works out pretty well, until you get under 100-ish watts.

However, all things considered, the 13600k is going to be an incredible value. Amazing single core performance. Good multicore. And Intel is doubling the L3 cache to be similar amount as Zen 3, which has resulted in 20% better minimum frames in gaming compared to Intel's 12th gen.

5950x might make sense as a drop in upgrade. But IMO, its still too expensive at $500. Wait a couple of months and For $500 or less, you could get a 13600k and a nice B660 motherboard or decent Z690 (with DDR4, if you want to play the pricing game). And you will have a better system for everything except maybe long multicore work which fully loads every core.

Last edited:

$499 is a crazy price.

$479 is a crazy price:

https://www.microcenter.com/product...ore-am4-boxed-processor-heatsink-not-included

Got some Best Buy gift cards. If only I could get them to match MicroCenter's price lol.

5950x is starting to look real good. For all core work is it much better than a 3950x?
Passmark can give a good idea for pure multi core work

3950x: 39064
5950x: 45870 (117.4%)

R23 cinebench:
3950x: 9,330
5950x: 10,552 (113%)

I am not sure it is has high has the 3xxx was from their 2xxx counterpart that often had in the 25-30% type of jump for similar core count.

But the single core jump is more significant and is rare for work to be purely perfect parallelism

Back