Ryzen 7 5800H

Mega6

2[H]4U
Looking good..

Ryzen 7 5800H

dXJZqgLSsUPXgBnhLFcJVS-970-80.jpg.webp

As soon as these laptops are available, I'm gonna start waiting them to come down to a nice affordable price.
well given their 4000 series ones arent even really available it may be a wait. But yeah they do look promising.

So when can we buy these? From my understanding the 4000 series is only available in laptops.

I'd like to make an emulation machine out of one of these, all I can find are the 3200G's

I really don't like that AMD is splitting 5000-series mobile with some being Zen 3 and some still Zen 2. I thought the whole purpose of skipping 4000-series for CPUs was so the CPU and APU naming was aligned...

Zen 3 mobile looking good though. Now they just gotta get Navi graphics in there.

it was just to align the numbers because everyone was confused on the current APU numbers lagging the CPU. The graphics and/or CPU in the APU will always lag a release or two because it takes time and effort to make a APU out of the respective cpu/gpu components.

I don't get why they aren't using RDNA2 yet for these?
Did you read the post above???

The graphics and/or CPU in the APU will always lag a release or two because it takes time and effort to make a APU out of the respective cpu/gpu components.

it was just to align the numbers because everyone was confused on the current APU numbers lagging the CPU. The graphics and/or CPU in the APU will always lag a release or two because it takes time and effort to make a APU out of the respective cpu/gpu components.
I get the reasoning behind the feature lag, but it's the mixing of feature sets in the same generation that is going to be v. confusing for folx who don't keep up with hardware as much as us.

Ryzen 5800H/U = new Zen 3 cores
Ryzen 5700H/U = rebranded 4800H/U with Zen 2 cores

that actually seems worse to me than the old naming system because it's even less consistent.

I get the reasoning behind the feature lag, but it's the mixing of feature sets in the same generation that is going to be v. confusing for folx who don't keep up with hardware as much as us.

Ryzen 5800H/U = new Zen 3 cores
Ryzen 5700H/U = rebranded 4800H/U with Zen 2 cores

that actually seems worse to me than the old naming system because it's even less consistent.
I agree, at least you knew what the cpu core was in the old scheme - now you have no idea unless you look it up.

Yeah. These look interesting but gaming tests aren’t showing a worthwhile increase from even the first gen r5 2400g, as long as it’s paired with fast memory.

if you already have one, unless you need the extra cores for your workload, it looks like an APU with rdna2 will be your best bet for improved graphics performance. It will help a lot that they are zen3 with higher bandwidth from ddr5, too.

Glad I didn't get a laptop this black Friday, thought I could wait since I'm locked inside for now.

Did you read the post above???

The graphics and/or CPU in the APU will always lag a release or two because it takes time and effort to make a APU out of the respective cpu/gpu components.
Doesn't explain the Xbox Series and PS5. Those are technically APU's.

Doesn't explain the Xbox Series and PS5. Those are technically APU's.
Don't those lag the CPU side of things (more 3700x type than a 5800x from what I understand)

Console priority will be on the GPU side, laptop on the CPU that sound a good way to do it.

So when can we buy these? From my understanding the 4000 series is only available in laptops.

I'd like to make an emulation machine out of one of these, all I can find are the 3200G's
4000 series desktop APUs are available, but limited. In some countries, shops can sell you a motherboard + apu combo; Lenovo has some desktop systems with them; otherwise you can import the chips grey market from china. Given that, and that AMD is pretty much fab limited for the foreseeable future, I expect the Zen3 APUs to show up in laptops at retail maybe end of Q1, and for the Zen3 desktop APUs to be launched maybe end of Q2 and available from Aliexpress in Q3. No idea when they'll make it to a retail box though.

single core from 1k to almost 1.5k, damn, AMD is really fighting in everything front against intel

When are these coming to workstation laptops? Im happy with my thinkpad p50 despite its quirks but my desktops have spoiled me in terms of speed...

Be better to compare it to the Apple M1 since Intel is no longer a factor.

Maybe when I can run Windows or Linux on an M1.

I mean, good for them, really, on the performance of the chip but it's useless to me, and anyone that runs software that doesn't work on MacOS.

Be better to compare it to the Apple M1 since Intel is no longer a factor.
Apple M1 according to (https://mspoweruser.com/apple-m1-vs-surface-pro-x-2-geekbench-5/)

rumored 5800.......: 1475 / 7630
M1 Native geekbench 5: 1737 / 7549
Windows 10 on M1 in a virtual machine: 1288 / 5449

I think so, both M1 type of bench should start including the latest ryzen competition and the latest ryzen competition should start showing the latest M1.

Both tendency of comparing themselve only to intel can start to be a way to look good.

i'm waiting for the 5000g desktop apu. Will probably have to wait till summer 21

I'm curious what video decoding improvements are in the 5000h series.

amd always dead last in video support.

apple M1 and intel already have higher res and AV1 support

Back