Ryzen 5900X overclocking help

KickAssCop

[H]F Junkie
I bought a Ryzen setup for the first time since my Athlon X2 3800+.

It’s my first time building a rig with AMD so I am not very familiar with all the mumbo jumbo. Add to that it is also my first time using MSI motherboard after a very very long time. I do not understand the bios at all and half the time can’t find the stuff.

Can someone link me to Ryzen 5900X overclocking guides that use MSI bios. I understand ASUS very well but this is driving me nuts.

Things I have already tried.
PBO on
PBO override 200 MHz
DDR4 XMP 3600 and overclock to 3733
FCLK 1866 (1900 doesn’t let comp boot)

Now here is the funny part. When I set volts to auto I get decent CR20 MC and SC scores. About 8300-8500 multi depending on mood and about 610-620 SC. CPUZ bench is about 9600 MC and 660 SC. However, this runs the system at 83 C while playing COD BOCW (highest temp in any game). Most benches run at around 81 C. Other games run at about 75 C. Idle is about 45-50 C. Core boosts to 5.15 Gs.

I can lower the voltage to 1.225 which is what I did. But then all my benches go low. CR20 goes to MC 8100 and SC 580. CPUZ bench also drops. Games are unchanged or max 1 FPS drop here and there. Also core only boosts to 5.05 Gs. Temps however are golden hitting about 71 C gaming and mid to late 30 idle.

I also tried CO with -15 all core and it rebooted my PC keeping everything else on auto and PBO +200.

So what should I do next? I have seen CR20 scores as high as 8600 for this chip and SC at 650+ but never seen this myself. What am I doing wrong?

Also can someone post a link to explanation of different parts of bios? Btw my ram is running default XMP and not tuned. Also default volts.

Anything else I should know?

try a negative offset for the voltage, -0.15 instead of static voltage

Just run it however you like. Does it really make a difference to your experience if it's a bit slower in synthetic benches with more acceptable temps and better longevity?

Try PBO2 (curve optimizer) for adaptive undervolting. Unfortunately there really aren't any guides anywhere on the internet for it that I've found. So basically turn it on and set your best cores at -10 and the others at -15 and then try just, like, messing around with it.

I have the same issue, the problem is setting the voltage manually. I think there is something broken with AGESA that is essentially expecting a specific voltage. Any kind of manual voltage adjustment seems to break the Boosting. You can downgrade to an older version and I have seen some boards, mainly older MSI boards that will allow the change. My Board, an MSI X570 MEG Ace will only function correctly using the "AMD Overclocking" voltage setting with an Auto offset adjustment ( the board automatically adjusts the offset ). Anything other than this will totally hose my system, I have to wipe the bios and start over. Also I think 1.225v is too low. My suggestion to you would be first to try 1.3 maybe even 1.35 to see if the issue continues. Auto voltage, at least on a 5950x is 1.48~v under light load. Which is ok, These chips work totally different than their intel counterparts. High volts at low amp draw is ok. Its when you peek 1.35+ volts at FULL load is when you run the risk of degradation.

My CPU volts were very high at 1.481 auto and staying there at load most of the time. That is why I pushed down the volts. It seems most people are suggesting to keep things on auto and try curve optimizer. I am a bit of a nub but I have to set offset sign to negative and offset to 10 or 0.1? There is no indication in the bios as to what unit to use.

Right, I remain surprised that there really aren't any guides to properly using curve optimizer. Seems like an obvious thing for hardware sites and YouTubers to do, but no-- nothing!

What I distilled from my research is you want PBO on advanced (NOT auto, which translates to "off"), +200 to PBO clocks, and then in curve optimizer you set your best cores (the star in ryzen master) and second-best (the dots) to -10 steps and the rest to -15 steps and then start testing to see how low you can set the voltage while running CB R23 tests to ensure best performance. You probably want LLC too but I haven't seen any real guides to which setting you want, so basically need to mess around with it.

"Tune memory ignore the rest" is obsolete for Zen3. You want to use curve optimizer. Better clocks, less heat.

With what little I've found on reddit, the goal is to identify your strongest cores using the ryzen software from amd and then toss a potentially positive curve to it, while a negative curve to the other cores. In tweaking it around on a 5600x I've got 2 strong cores on 3 and 4. My problem is that anything other than stock PBO settings leads to a drop in performance in multicore use. Sure I can get the synthetic bench for 2 cores say up to 644 from 630, but it is absolutely worthless in every multicore metric where I lose overall performance.

With the latest BIOS from asus on my mobo, I can manually input PBO boost override to whatever number I want to enter, but anything other than auto results in the multicore deciding it holds it back even further (ie it will spike to 4.95 ghz but the multicore will settle at 4.1 when running cinebench or doing a game benchmark and performance suffers as a result.

I am really not sure how reviewers are seeing any real overclock bonuses. My all core 4.7 showed negative results too compared to stock PBO auto 4.65

From what I've read, you shouldn't be using positive offsets anywhere unless you lose the lottery and your chip is a really poor performer. CO is all about undervolting, to drop power usage and thus reduce heat and get higher clocks on single-core without compromising on multi-core.

There literally is no good guide available. I have been scouring the internet to find a guide on how to clock this mofo but nothing is really available or complete.
Seems I got the computer dialed in at 5.1 Gs SC @ 1.225 volts. 1 hour of playing Immortals Fenyx Rising which taxes the CPU pretty hard.
temps-5900x-2.jpg

Last edited:
Well overclocking this CPU is the most boring and fruitless activity I have done. Almost nothing works except running PBO with 200 MHz over and lowering volts to 1.25 volts. Memory more than 3733 does not even run. Infinity fabric more than 1867 fails.

Very disappointed by this purchase. In 1440P games I am barely 2-3 FPS faster than my 8086K @ 5 Gs. Also I am not hitting the Cinebench scores that others are hitting.

Well overclocking this CPU is the most boring and fruitless activity I have done. Almost nothing works except running PBO with 200 MHz over and lowering volts to 1.25 volts. Memory more than 3733 does not even run. Infinity fabric more than 1867 fails.

Very disappointed by this purchase. In 1440P games I am barely 2-3 FPS faster than my 8086K @ 5 Gs. Also I am not hitting the Cinebench scores that others are hitting.
Sorry to hear about this :) I'll be joining you soon. My two 5900x CPUs from B&H has finally shipped (est delivery Jan 4, 2021) to complete my kids builds. I have the same mobo and GPU (1440p@165) as you, so we can compare our notes. What mobo BIOS are you currently using 151? Windows 10 ver? x570 drivers? There is new BIOS coming out soon with new AGESA patch D, which should fix some of the issues. Also this is a good thread highlighting some of the current/ongoing issues.

BTW... fyi there is new vBIOS for your GPU.

Thanks for the help. I am using 151 bios and Windows 10 latest version. I downloaded the new X570 drivers but not sure what it will do for me.

That not great news , I have a 9900KS @ 5.0 low volts runs cool does 4000mhz , just got my Asus Dark Hero x570 and waiting for bh photo to send me processor and allready feeling buyers remorse 😂😂

It also runs incredibly hot. So I put the volts back to AMD overclocking and also set Negative 10 offset in curve optimizer and got 8305 MC CR20 (I did get 8523 before also but I don’t know what I did). And got 636 in SC CR20.

But now the CPU runs 83 C on average. When I had volts set to 1.25 or 1.225 it was running at 70 C. So disappointed.

My strong suggestion would be to sell your motherboard. It will go away in 2-5 days on Hard and then keep the Intel.

For gaming this has been quite possibly the worst waste of money I have done.

It also runs incredibly hot. So I put the volts back to AMD overclocking and also set Negative 10 offset in curve optimizer and got 8305 MC CR20 (I did get 8523 before also but I don’t know what I did). And got 636 in SC CR20.

But now the CPU runs 83 C on average. When I had volts set to 1.25 or 1.225 it was running at 70 C. So disappointed.

My strong suggestion would be to sell your motherboard. It will go away in 2-5 days on Hard and then keep the Intel.

For gaming this has been quite possibly the worst waste of money I have done.

What is the definition of Hot for you? Do you touch it often is that why it bothers you so much? If a chip is designed to withstand heat and giving you performance why stare at it and stress? lol. Does the temp functionally limit you from completing a task or enjoying your system? Temps seem perfectly fine to me under load or gaming. I am not sure why you are stressing or telling people to keep intel. Shit is giving you the performance. Unless you were sitting on the CPU I don't see a reason to being overly dramatic about the dumping the motherboard lol.

Just tweak your memory and leave rest on AUTO. There is 0 point in stressing over overclocking these things. They run the way they are suppose to. Only problem I had was epic launcher giving me high idle temps once I told it to not start with windows my idle temps were in 30s from the 50s. So clearly a bug with epic launcher but other than that I could care less if it runs 70s in gaming or 80s under cinebench. May be adjust your AIO fan speed according to temps to ramp up at certain point.

Just because you are not comfortable with temps doesn't imply everyone should dump zen 3 or there is anything wrong it.

Well for starters I live in the desert. Temps these days are 20-25 C but in summers it will be 45 C. My ambient temps on a good day are 24 C and under the desk can go as high as 29-30 C. If the computer is operating at 83 C that heat is coming off the top of the case and directly warming my legs/making the room hotter. Right now it is fine but in summer heat it will mean higher need for cooling and higher AC bill. So yeah temps do matter to me and also limit my enjoyment out of the system as I will need to undervolt it which significantly reduces performance.

I also think I am telling people to do the right thing from my perspective just like you are attempting to do the same. There is nothing funny about it. Intelligent people will make their own decisions based on what matters to them. Stupid people will continue to laugh at other person’s perspective without fully understanding them. :rolleyes:

Well for starters I live in the desert. Temps these days are 20-25 C but in summers it will be 45 C. My ambient temps on a good day are 24 C and under the desk can go as high as 29-30 C. If the computer is operating at 83 C that heat is coming off the top of the case and directly warming my legs/making the room hotter. Right now it is fine but in summer heat it will mean higher need for cooling and higher AC bill. So yeah temps do matter to me and also limit my enjoyment out of the system as I will need to undervolt it which significantly reduces performance.

I also think I am telling people to do the right thing from my perspective just like you are attempting to do the same. There is nothing funny about it. Intelligent people will make their own decisions based on what matters to them. Stupid people will continue to laugh at other person’s perspective without fully understanding them. :rolleyes:
Wait for the next BIOS to come out. AMD is known for a FECKING bad bios releases (including high CPU voltages) at the start of each Zen cycle. I'm AMD noob myself. I'm currently rocking delidded 8700k @5.0 and for kids I went with 5900x. I will post my results as soon as I get them. I fully understand your frustrations. I don't think honestly there is any point in O/C that CPU. Just set it and forget it. I will post my results as soon as I get my 5900x CPUs.

Wait for the next BIOS to come out. AMD is known for a FECKING bad bios releases (including high CPU voltages) at the start of each Zen cycle. I'm AMD noob myself. I'm currently rocking delidded 8700k @5.0 and for kids I went with 5900x. I will post my results as soon as I get them. I fully understand your frustrations. I don't think honestly there is any point in O/C that CPU. Just set it and forget it. I will post my results as soon as I get my 5900x CPUs.
Awesome thanks. Will love to compare clock settings, temps and volts. What ram will you be using. Possible to post a Newegg or Amazon link?

Clearly may not be the best solution for you. But you basically recommends someone to return their board based on your experience. That is something I will never do and goes against your own argument that people should decide for themselves. I really didn’t tell you to do anything. I just think that load temps are something you are stressing about which is perfectly normal for CPUs when pushed. I am not sure if game temps in 70s is any concern for a 12 core chip. It’s really expectations and clearly it didn’t meat your.

If your computer is running at 83c 24/7 or majority of the time clearly an issue for you. I am fairly certain though the air that comes out of the AIO is much cooler then core temp of the CPU. Intel CPUs right now aren’t really energy efficient by means.

So all good. Hope you find the right solution that fits your needs.

Clearly may not be the best solution for you. But you basically recommends someone to return their board based on your experience. That is something I will never do and goes against your own argument that people should decide for themselves. I really didn’t tell you to do anything. I just think that load temps are something you are stressing about which is perfectly normal for CPUs when pushed. I am not sure if game temps in 70s is any concern for a 12 core chip. It’s really expectations and clearly it didn’t meat your.

If your computer is running at 83c 24/7 or majority of the time clearly an issue for you. I am fairly certain though the air that comes out of the AIO is much cooler then core temp of the CPU. Intel CPUs right now aren’t really energy efficient by means.

So all good. Hope you find the right solution that fits your needs.
My recommendation was based on performance numbers and thermals. If people need more facts I can provide benchmarks with 8086K @ 4.9/5 G vs 5900X with PBO enabled. In gaming there is 1-3 FPS difference and in GPU intensive workloads it really doesn’t matter. Of course if your use case is other than gaming then 5900X is a great buy.
On thermals the 8086K ran at 65 C while gaming. This runs at 83 C unless I undervolt it where it starts losing performance. It is a 18 C delta.

So based on my data I still recommend the same. Keep your current CPU and wait for something better. Or use that money to upgrade graphics card if you want more gaming performance. All good here as well as people can choose what they want with their money. :)

My recommendation was based on performance numbers and thermals. If people need more facts I can provide benchmarks with 8086K @ 4.9/5 G vs 5900X with PBO enabled. In gaming there is 1-3 FPS difference and in GPU intensive workloads it really doesn’t matter. Of course if your use case is other than gaming then 5900X is a great buy.
On thermals the 8086K ran at 65 C while gaming. This runs at 83 C unless I undervolt it where it starts losing performance. It is a 18 C delta.

So based on my data I still recommend the same. Keep your current CPU and wait for something better. Or use that money to upgrade graphics card if you want more gaming performance. All good here as well as people can choose what they want with their money. :)

wait are you saying every game you are playing runs at 83c in general? I thought it was just one game? Plus you are doubling your cores here as well so gotta take that in to account. Running cinebench and seeing 81c is fine because that does heavily stress the CPU. From what I read COD games do use AVX may be that is pumping your temps up since AMD chips don't really do AVX offset to lower temp. I am getting 5950x soon so we shall see. My ambient is 72-73c as well. Cold outside but heat on inside lol. So we will see how that goes, I am using 5800x right now. Temps are in the 50-60s when gaming and idle in the 30s.

wait are you saying every game you are playing runs at 83c in general? I thought it was just one game? Plus you are doubling your cores here as well so gotta take that in to account. Running cinebench and seeing 81c is fine because that does heavily stress the CPU. From what I read COD games do use AVX may be that is pumping your temps up since AMD chips don't really do AVX offset to lower temp. I am getting 5950x soon so we shall see. My ambient is 72-73c as well. Cold outside but heat on inside lol. So we will see how that goes, I am using 5800x right now. Temps are in the 50-60s when gaming and idle in the 30s.
That is correct. All games hit 80-83 C sustained temps while gaming because the board is giving it 1.45-1.481 volts. I tried core optimizer and twice it led to a black screen with keyboard off meaning computer crashed without any reports. I know it is designed to run at 80-85 C but it is stupid that the algorithm gives it such high voltage.

The CPU runs fine even at 1.25 volts hitting 5.1 G single core and 4.8-5.1 all core if the game utilizes it properly. At that voltage it runs at 70-73 C. But loses performance in all heavy workloads because the PBO tells it to run at 4.0-4.2 GHz instead of say 4.5-4.7 GHz. A bios update might fix it but I just think as with everything AMD it is shitty software/algorithm design.

Hopefully a new bios fixes this. Would be good to know what settings are you using to get 50 C temps and if you are using a custom water loop or AIO?

So I tried everything. More volts to SOC and IOD, tighter timings, curve optimizer and lower voltages. The results are in.

Nothing ****ing works.

More volts don’t help higher IF or memory speed with 1:1.
Curve optimizer with only negative 10 offset and auto or AMD overclocking volts leads to instability after 4-5 hours.
None of the tighter timings worked except the secondary timings that I tightened earlier which net me 100+ points in Timespy and not anything else.

So I am back to where I left off. Kept PBO on, override with 200 MHz to get above 5 Gs, 1.25 volts and memory at 16-19-19-19-39 at 3733/1867 with some secondary timings tightened up.

Of course this completely messes up any Cinebench runs and anyways Port Royal is lower than what I had with my 8086K so yeah that is screwed up as well.

However, it keeps temps low to about 71-73 C full load and clocks keep bouncing around like a monkey on crack between 4.65 - 5.1 Gs. Usually I see in games it is pushing 5 Gs on top CCX0 cores and 4.8+ on CCX1 cores.

I did manage to do a Cinebench run to get about 8300 with full volts (comp was only boosting to 4.2 Gs - seems like known issue with current PBO version). I also finally saw a 636 SC score. However, that leads to a 83C operating temperature because AMD can’t code their PBO algorithm even if their life depended on it.

I heard PBO was also a shite and PBO 2 is no better in that department. I know my chip can easily run 4.8 GHz all core at 1.25 volts because I see it in gaming for extended hours but the bios/PBO algorithm seems extremely unnecessary to take control over all option. I tried manual overclock and can’t seem to go over 4.75 GHz all core where of course I lose performance in games and it becomes same or slower than my 8086K.

Well as the things are I am quite stuck with this shitshow of a platform. When summer will come I will have no option but to see whatever Intel has, take a massive loss on this because selling AMD locally would be a bitch and just live with my decision to try AMD. Maybe in next 10 years I give it another shot but AMD products are not for me. Honestly for gaming a 10900K would have been just as good and would actually run 5.2Gs all day while keeping cool. nag.gif

Last edited:
So I tried everything. More volts to SOC and IOD, tighter timings, curve optimizer and lower voltages. The results are in.

Nothing ****ing works.

More volts don’t help higher IF or memory speed with 1:1.
Curve optimizer with only negative 10 offset and auto or AMD overclocking volts leads to instability after 4-5 hours.
None of the tighter timings worked except the secondary timings that I tightened earlier which net me 100+ points in Timespy and not anything else.

So I am back to where I left off. Kept PBO on, override with 200 MHz to get above 5 Gs, 1.25 volts and memory at 16-19-19-19-39 at 3733/1867 with some secondary timings tightened up.

Of course this completely messes up any Cinebench runs and anyways Port Royal is lower than what I had with my 8086K so yeah that is screwed up as well.

However, it keeps temps low to about 71-73 C full load and clocks keep bouncing around like a monkey on crack between 4.65 - 5.1 Gs. Usually I see in games it is pushing 5 Gs on top CCX0 cores and 4.8+ on CCX1 cores.

I did manage to do a Cinebench run to get about 8300 with full volts (comp was only boosting to 4.2 Gs - seems like known issue with current PBO version). I also finally saw a 636 SC score. However, that leads to a 83C operating temperature because AMD can’t code their PBO algorithm even if their life depended on it.

I heard PBO was also a shite and PBO 2 is no better in that department. I know my chip can easily run 4.8 GHz all core at 1.25 volts because I see it in gaming for extended hours but the bios/PBO algorithm seems extremely unnecessary to take control over all option. I tried manual overclock and can’t seem to go over 4.75 GHz all core where of course I lose performance in games and it becomes same or slower than my 8086K.

Well as the things are I am quite stuck with this shitshow of a platform. When summer will come I will have no option but to see whatever Intel has, take a massive loss on this because selling AMD locally would be a bitch and just live with my decision to try AMD. Maybe in next 10 years I give it another shot but AMD products are absolutely shite and not for me. Honestly for gaming a 10900K would have been just as good and would actually run 5.2Gs all day while keeping cool. View attachment 313388
That's just dumb dude I'm sorry.

Sorry, maybe try previous BIOS (v14) ? The new one should come out anytime now (I hope).

So higher temps does not equal higher AC bill. Greater power draw would. Improving your cooling solution will not lower your power draw (running lover volts will but not by a huge amount (~50w or so)) but either way it's splitting hairs since if you compared the power draw on the 5900x to your overclocked 8086k the difference would be like having an extra lightbulb in your room. 83c is fine. Take if from someone who has been down this road of chasing temps with AMD before and stop stressing about it and trying to throw more money at something that isn't broken. If anything in your setup is going to make you need to turn up your AC it's gonna be your 3080. A lot of people don't seem to think about the fact that these new GPU's are monsters with power draw and you are dumping all that heat straight up in to your rad. If i was going to change anything in your current setup it would be moving your radiator to the front of your case which will allow it to intake cooler air. Then stop worrying about overclocking and simply set a negative offset of 0.1v and call it a day.

From the launch of the Ryzen 3000 series launch onward, there has been very little to no reason to overclock AMD CPU's. You can gain some performance out of an all core overclock in some multi-threaded applications but it's normally a detriment to single-threaded performance and any applications that leverage that or benefit from higher single-core clocks such as gaming. I haven't reviewed any of the 5000 series CPU's, as AMD didn't sample us for those but hitting the wall at DDR4 3733MHz and just over 1800MHz on the Infinity Fabric clock is pretty normal for the 3000 series and the X570 platform itself.

Previous bios behavior was exactly the same. However, I have run more tests on new bios.
Try clearing CMOS by shorting pins (refer to mobo's manaul), after reboot clear/reset BIOS settings to defaults and start from scratch. We are flushing/using beta BIOSes, who knows how stable these things are.

Is your AIO top or side mounted? gerardfraser reported huge positive difference in CPU temps (at expense of only few C for GPU) when he moved from top to front his AIO.

I will try the front mount. Problem is I have 3 140mm fans at the front and not 120 mm.

I don’t worry about my GPU as it runs at 65C already. Yes I know it is throwing heat in the case but it was doing that with 8086K.

About bios shorting I know how to do it. How else would I waste 4 hours trying to overclock this thing lol.

I will try the front mount. Problem is I have 3 140mm fans at the front and not 120 mm.

I don’t worry about my GPU as it runs at 65C already. Yes I know it is throwing heat in the case but it was doing that with 8086K.

About bios shorting I know how to do it. How else would I waste 4 hours trying to overclock this thing lol.

A GPU at 65c isn't high at all. I'm actually very surprised its not higher. Many of these newer, higher end GPUs will get much hotter than that. Around 80c+ while gaming on air cooling.

I have the ASUS TUF which has best air cooling out of the bunch. 65C is with 2000+ sustained clocks after hours of gaming. With my 8086K it never broke 62 C.

Reactions: noko
like this
I have the ASUS TUF which has best air cooling out of the bunch. 65C is with 2000+ sustained clocks after hours of gaming.

Nice. I have no idea what my 3090 FE's stock temps are. I ran it briefly to make sure it worked and put a waterblock on it.

Not sure how this is a problem. just relocate the 140mm fans to the top.

Back