Ryzen 5000 IF/Memory Question

Light1984

Gawd
So I have been able to overclock my IF to 1900 mhz and have been rock stable. I tried to increase to 2000 on the IF but regardless of voltages I try, I get WHEA errors in windows. I am currently running my gskill 4000CL17 kit at 3800CL16 1:1 with IF. Would I see any benefit in games by dropping down to 3600CL14 with 1800 mhz IF? I haven't tried it with my kit, but i think it would be relatively easy. Just not sure if the decreased latency is more beneficial than the higher clocks on the IF. TIA

benchmark it and tell us.

I suspect for 3600 C14 is faster, but who knows until you test it.

Try 3800c15 if you like
Some are running 3800C14 which you may be able to do since you have a good RAM bin and a top end MB but it could take a lot of work to get stable.
Sub timings is where most the performance is at and disabling GDM even if it means running 2T.

Try 3800c15 if you like
Some are running 3800C14 which you may be able to do since you have a good RAM bin and a top end MB but it could take a lot of work to get stable.
Sub timings is where most the performance is at and disabling GDM even if it means running 2T.
I have gear down mode enabled to get 1T. I read somewhere that 1T vs 2T is like going to CL14 from CL16. Also read something about odd cas numbers not working right on ryzen 5000. I'll maybe try CL14. I'm able to do CL16 on only 1.35 volts, so can probably get that lower. Haven't messed with the secondary timings that much though. Guess I'll fire the calculator back up and see how far off I am. Was mostly wondering if games respond to tighter timings or higher frequencies or if it depends on the title me

GDM enabled 1T is actually closer to 2.5T so GDM disabled 2T is faster than GDM 1T.
Odd timings works fine for my 5800X but if you can hit lower all the better but you will likely need ~1.5v and some airflow directed over the RAM.

Games respond to both timings and frequency.
Some games do prefer lower latency while others prefer more bandwidth.
Timings and frequency both affect latency and bandwidth so it is all about finding the right balance.

Bandwidth is largely bottlnecked by the IF so timings impact on bandwidth will be minimal especially as you get really tight.

Last edited:
GDM enabled 1T is actually closer to 2.5T so GDM disabled 2T is faster than GDM 1T.
Odd timings works fine for my 5800X but if you can hit lower all the better but you will likely need ~1.5v and some airflow directed over the RAM.

Timings and frequency both affect latency and bandwidth so it is all about finding the right balance.

Bandwidth is largely bottlnecked by the IF so timings impact on bandwidth will be minimal especially as you get really tight.
I did not know that about GDM. So I will disable it and go back to 2T. Thanks for the heads up. So it sounds like IF as fast as I can get it then frequency and latency as much as I'm able to? I can do 1900IF comfortably. So I'll just try to keep tightening timings. Thanks for the input.

So i did a back to back test, GDM seems to be better on my system. Is there another setting that optimizes the system with GDM disabled?
2T (GDM Disabled)
2T.png
(GDM Enabled)
GDM.png

That is a huge jump in latency well above what it should be so maybe it is not totally stable GDM disabled.
Mind taking a screenshot with Zentimings 1T vs 2T?
L3 latency also jumped are you sure there wasn't some background processes?

Back