Ryzen 3950 + Geforce 3090 but low performance on Blackmagic RAW speedtest? Is it the Mobo?

note235

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a Gigabyte x370 Gaming 5 with the latests bios pairing with a 3950 + Geforce 3090.
I upgraded the 3950 from a 1700 and the 3090 from a 1080ti. The performance in 3Dmark Timespy is fast but in Blackmagic RAW (a speed test for a video codec) it's barely 20% more than my old build. Comparing to others, I'm only getting 64% in the GPU at 8K (haven't compared CPU yet).
I suspect it's the mobo: I have all the SATA ports used + NVME + the third PCIE x4 + PCIE x1. But was curious about your guys thoughts?

I have a Gigabyte x370 Gaming 5 with the latests bios pairing with a 3950 + Geforce 3090.
I upgraded the 3950 from a 1700 and the 3090 from a 1080ti. The performance in 3Dmark Timespy is fast but in Blackmagic RAW (a speed test for a video codec) it's barely 20% more than my old build. Comparing to others, I'm only getting 64% in the GPU at 8K (haven't compared CPU yet).
I suspect it's the mobo: I have all the SATA ports used + NVME + the third PCIE x4 + PCIE x1. But was curious about your guys thoughts?
This is simple, run gpu-z and see if you're at x16. If so, next step is to run DDU. Use heaven or superposition at native res and compare scores.

My (limited) understanding is that hardware acceleration for B-raw format is buggy, at best. LTT put out a video discussing it recently when they bought some 12k cameras. They had to jump through all sorts of hoops, and moving to a 3090 was not a magic bullet.

This is simple, run gpu-z and see if you're at x16. If so, next step is to run DDU. Use heaven or superposition at native res and compare scores.
Good idea. Did all of that and same results.

My (limited) understanding is that hardware acceleration for B-raw format is buggy, at best. LTT put out a video discussing it recently when they bought some 12k cameras. They had to jump through all sorts of hoops, and moving to a 3090 was not a magic bullet.
I don't agree with that (LTT's). Blackmagic RAW has been the fastest/stable of all the codecs I've used. It just seems my system is operating at 65% to 70% of what others with the same CPU or GPU are getting. I bought a new mobo so maybe that's the issue?

I don't have any first-hand knowledge myself, never having touched a blackmagic camera. Here is the video where they had lots of problems.

That's only a partial answer, is your card running at x8 or x16, while older GPU's usually run fine on x8, somthing like a 3090 could be bottlenecked by that.

Also male sure you are running the latest bios, the new 3xxx series of cards are a bit tricky otherwise.

I doubt your motherboard is the issue, but you never know, also id you power supply sufficient, those 3090 cards sure use a lot of power.

That's only a partial answer, is your card running at x8 or x16, while older GPU's usually run fine on x8, somthing like a 3090 could be bottlenecked by that.

Also male sure you are running the latest bios, the new 3xxx series of cards are a bit tricky otherwise.

I doubt your motherboard is the issue, but you never know, also id you power supply sufficient, those 3090 cards sure use a lot of power.
Good points. Checked and it's x16. Yeah on latest for the board.
PSU is EVGA G2 1300w.

I don't agree with that (LTT's). Blackmagic RAW has been the fastest/stable of all the codecs I've used. It just seems my system is operating at 65% to 70% of what others with the same CPU or GPU are getting. I bought a new mobo so maybe that's the issue?
Ok. so, you replaced CPU, motherboard, and GPU.

did you do a fresh install of windows, after all of that? ;)

did you clear and reconfig your bios after the upgrade? have you installed chipset drivers?

The motherboard isn't really responsible for CPU performance in the traditional sense. Everything that has anything to do with that is really built into the CPU now. I've even run the Ryzen 9 3950X on the MSI X570-A Pro which has some of the worst VRM's you could have and it performed as well as any other board I've tested. I have seen some minor boost clock issues on some boards but those are usually due to BIOS settings or the AGESA code version. That being said, the difference isn't usually all that pronounced. If you see low performance in one application you really need to check a variety of others to ensure everything is working as it should. Not only that, but check your BIOS settings or see what CPU-Z says about your board clocks, CPU clocks, etc. Also, thermal throttling is a thing so you'll want to make sure your temperatures are where they should be at both idle and under load conditions.

You should also double check the program is using the GPU for acceleration, rather than running on the CPU.

Back