Ryzen 2 APU review: AMD brings fantastic first knockdown of the Ryzen 4000 series.

whateverer

[H]ard|Gawd
https://www.techspot.com/review/2003-amd-ryzen-4000/

Just like Raven Ridge, they're starting with notebooks first!

Coffee Lake Refresh gets rolled by Zen 2:

4.png

Ice Lake at 25w has identical single-threaded performance (but half the cores). Smoked!

They also tested IGP performance versus Ice Lake at 25w. It's around 1.60 times as fast! (depending on how detailed the game is.) Should still be closer to 1.4x faster when at the same TDP.

I'm excited for these to release on desktop. AMD completely learned their lesson on Raven Ridge, and reversed their previous 10% IPC deficit.

Last edited:
Zephyrus G14 looks amazing, probably the laptop I will pick up when it become on sale in the 2nd quarter, hoping goes on sale April 1st.

Reactions: xx0xx
like this
4 of those wins are cinebench scores, doesn't count cuz intel didn't win.

AMD is literally a generation above Intel with these, do watch Linus video to see against what did he pit it.

Zen 2 was released on desktop in July. AMD releases laptop parts with numbers 1000 higher than desktop parts.
I'm referring to OEM desktops. The kind that come with integrated graphics only. This includes sff/NUC style systems.

Right now, the only option available that has half the cores, and 30% lower per-core performance. AMD is going to get tons of design wins with this beauty.

Correct. Plus nobody needs that much power, so not really sure what AMD is trying here.

To be able to get design wins for powerful gaming laptops like this one. The purpose of having low-power IGP is so that you can use it for 11 hours when not gaming. Then after remote work you can plug it in and start up the discrete GPU and game.

Having 8 powerful cores with Optimus switching graphics means never having to compromise. It's why people spend $1000 or more on a portable gaming notebooks all the time

And the beefy IGP (along with having the exact same per-core performance as Ice Lake) will also get them design wins for trendy ultraportables like the Macbook Air.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...review-the-most-boring-mac-is-among-the-best/

If an over-the top brand ike Apple could suddenly double the number of cores over Intel's upcoming Tiger Lake, while featuring slightly better iGPU performance? Think they would toss it aside as "overkill?"

8-cores is aimed at the new top-end,, while AMD's lowest-end Ryzen 2 APU is 4c/4th (thank god they killed the 2c/4th)! This is called PROGRESS.

Last edited:
Glad I held off on getting a new laptop for my wife. Her next laptop will definately have one of these 6 core parts. I know they are technically 3rd gen, but they truly feel 4th gen in laptops the way they stomp all over Intel's latest offerings.

I am also excited about the desktop APUs. It seems these have some very nice performance despite being so bandwidth limited yet.

Now if only they could put this in a proper Thinkpad or Latitude. Not in some crappy budget Thinkpad or Latitude version that only carries the Thinkpad or Latitude sticker but none of the quality.

This is really good news. Now if they could push the corresponding Desktop part out the door sooner....

Imagine if AMD released a threadripper notebook part for luggables just to win benchmarks.
i wouldn't want to have to be the person that would have to design that motherboard, lol.. it's already bad enough trying to fit everything on a standard laptop these days, trying to fit a socket that large plus quad channel memory plus a gpu, good luck.

AMD seems to have a good product here but looking at the world right now it appears to be the absolute worst time for release.

This is a pretty significant release for AMD. The vast majority of consumer purchases are laptops and if AMD can win over the OEM builders main product lines with these parts they would have beaten Intel in every CPU category as far as sales if I’m not mistaken:

Desktop
Workstation
Server
Mobile

It’s not even a question in mobile now. I guess you can argue desktops to a generally weak point.

That mobile part crushes Intel, 10 hour battery life... my 8550u Dell 1557 get 3 hours and is far weaker. When AMD launches their next mobile chips if they only expand on this launch but include RDNA 2 spec internal GPUs it’ll be insane.

i wouldn't want to have to be the person that would have to design that motherboard, lol.. it's already bad enough trying to fit everything on a standard laptop these days, trying to fit a socket that large plus quad channel memory plus a gpu, good luck.

I thought luggable meant something like this. As I recall, that had pretty close to a full size motherboard. And the 3rd gen had external expansion cards!

I want to get a new laptop and there's really nothing with 4000 series available

poop

Reactions: dgz
like this
Here's hoping a lot of OEMs actually pick up parts like this to use in their products. AMD has been kicking ass as of late and I'm glad to see them (finally) push some good stuff into notebooks. I am also in the camp that would love to see some solid USFF/NUC-style systems with modern AMD architectures. The notebook/USFF market has been so dry on AMDs side. Enough that some OEMs are trying to release years-old (Beema, 2014) fanless parts again as new products which is just ridiculous.

I want to get a new laptop and there's really nothing with 4000 series available

poop

This is just about to be available:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-IPS-Typ...rds=ASUS+TUF+Gaming+A15&qid=1585675826&sr=8-3

You get this one on April 10th. Pretty good deal for 144hz screen plus 8 core plus 1660 Ti.

This is also going to release at the end of the month:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834155418

The MSI looks pretty light for having the same size screen and similar class of GPU as the ASUS.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As a guy who does digital sculpting on the train for a few hours a day, this is really intriguing

When I was buying a laptop last year, you could not use G-Sync and Optimus at the same time.

Meaning the laptops that did have G-Sync had horrible battery life compared to fixed refresh Optimus.

The one I got has a 144Hz screen and pretty decent battery life (about 10 hours). Even with V-Sync disabled, I haven't really seen much tearing, so it worked out.

Well, I'm more looking at not getting a dGPU, and I hope that running just off the APU I can get 120Hz VRR with great battery life. I'd hook up some AC for gaming of course!

Back