RX480 compatibility with Ageia Physx card

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
Just pulled the trigger on a RX480 from the egg. I know Nvidia does not allow use of physx on a geforce card with Amd graphic cards. However what about the Ageia PPU itself?. Yes I know it will work with the older Ageia driver. Right now I have current PHysx driver and the 8904 drivers needed to run the Ageia card. Will the new Physx driver 428s allow the Cpu to still do the Physx that the geforce used to do without disabling the ppu? Also while I"m here this would be in an A10-7870K w 16gb ram. Capable of VR ?

Just pulled the trigger on a RX480 from the egg. I know Nvidia does not allow use of physx on a geforce card with Amd graphic cards. However what about the Ageia PPU itself?. Yes I know it will work with the older Ageia driver. Right now I have current PHysx driver and the 8904 drivers needed to run the Ageia card. Will the new Physx driver 428s allow the Cpu to still do the Physx that the geforce used to do without disabling the ppu? Also while I"m here this would be in an A10-7870K w 16gb ram. Capable of VR ?

If you OC a 7870k it does pretty well. I'd just download the steam VR test. It's free. I would like to say you'd be fine in the majority of games.

Physx... I'd make sure you actually plan to play demanding GPU Physx games before you go through all that work. Everything but GPU Physx can happen on your processor and GPU Physx games are quite rare. (Only borderlands and batman come to mind).

Be aware of the power issues with the rx480 reference design right now. I wouldn't OC it until AMD fixes it. If you computer isn't running right I'd pull the card.

I believe the old Ageia card was removed from support in the drivers at some point. Not sure what level of compatibility it will have with new physx versions.

All hardware-accelerated Physx is disabled when it detects an AMD GPU, there used to be a hack around it but they stopped development on it (I think Nvidia tightened up their security). Even if you have an Nvidia GPU and an AMD GPU Physx is disabled.

wrong I am currently running a GTX660ti with an Ageia PPU and run currrent games and the older ppu ones..

I believe the old Ageia card was removed from support in the drivers at some point. Not sure what level of compatibility it will have with new physx versions.
Even if it did work, the old Ageia card is likely outclassed in performance by the lowliest of video cards still being being sold. CPU physx using any decent CPU from recent years likely outclasses it also.

Geforce phsyx uses legacy drivers to run the older games and no you don't install the legacy with a ppu present. The current geforce phsyx and the 8904 are required to run new and old games. The video I linked allows the game to select automatcally ppu or geforce physx.

It is not that nVidia does not allow physx with another card, the issue is that you cannot access nVidia control panel if the nv card is not the primary one. So what you need to do is install the nv card, make it primary display card, get into nv control panel and select explicitly that the physx to be run on the said card. Then you can revert to your other gpu as primary display card.

both versions but Ended up using it with Nvidia 660TI There are only about a dozen games that use the card but I think the Physx card is smoother and performs better than a Geforce card in those games....

Back