RX 6800 nitro+ HDMI issues + not working HDMI 2.1 VRR with LG C9 + high idle power at 4k 120 Hz

Pabaisa

Weaksauce
Hi, to begin with everything was ok (1080 ti) before changing to RX 6800 but now:
1. Changing anything related to HDMI (pulling HDMI cable, plugging HDMI cable, changing instant game response setting in LG C9, turning on LG C9 after I turn it off with active windows screensaver (TV shows no signal message and PC restarts after ~4 seconds) simply restarts whole PC with no error codes in Event manager. Any though on that? I have 2 certified HDMI 2.1 cables and there is no change in behavior at either 60 or 120 Hz. There are no problems (working from home so using pc for around 12 hours everyday) if I do not change anything (do not change LG C9 settings, do not turn it off, etc.)
2. Anyone knows anything about AMD HDMI 2.1 VRR status at the moment? As far as I know it is not working because in far reaches of the web I did not find anyone who got HDMI 2.1 VRR working (not freesync but HDMI 2.1 VRR). Having LG C9 I can assure you that AMD drivers do not display option to turn on VRR (freesync EDID override does not work because LG C9 does not receive signal after doing it (did the same mod on my 1080 Ti and TV worked 100% just, obviously, did not have freesync).
3. More of a rant really (other RX 6800 (XT) and LG CX or C9 owners input would be appreciated) because official AMD response (to, as far as I'm aware, a known issue) was to try card in a different system – RX 6800 memory speed at 4k 120/100 Hz is at 100% (2000 Mhz) whick not only increases idle power draw from 7-9 W (at 60 Hz) to ~39 W (at 100/120 Hz) but also heats up card quite well.

AMD does not make it easy to like them... Still waiting for a friend to finish Cyberpunk so we can change cards (he has 3080) so I can enjoy metro exodus with ray tracing.

Update for any sorry soul who stumbles upon this thread:
#1 – it was windows issue. DDU in safe mode did nothing but fresh windows installation seems to have solved it.
#2 – It does NOT work. Tough cookies.
#3 – It is working as intended. Tough cookies.

Last edited:
Can't comment on the other two, aside possibly needing to change the input name on the C9 to 'PC', but as far as #3 goes, that is unfortunately normal behavior. The memory clocks speeds don't have enough time to change during the vertical blanking period. You can perhaps try using CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) to find a set of frequencies that works with your particular display, but don't have high hopes. The same thing happens for people using high refresh rate multi-monitor setups, so I imagine a single 3840x2160 display at 100Hz/120Hz will exhibit similar behavior due to the amount of bandwidth required. It's not limited to just the RX 6800 or AMD cards.

There are lots and lots of thread about #3, but here are just a few examples (mostly related to the RX 5700 XT as that's what I was specifically searching for):
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/k92b2x/psa_if_you_have_a_144hz_monitor_check_your_gpu/
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...ards/5/414262/rtx-3090-high-idle-power-usage/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/i09h9o/need_a_fix_for_memory_clock_being_locked_at/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7x9rln/problem_with_2_monitors_gpu_gets_warm_and_memory/
https://community.amd.com/t5/graphi...eter-allows-gpu-vram-frequency-to/td-p/318483

Hi, to begin with everything was ok (1080 ti) before changing to RX 6800 but now:
1. Changing anything related to HDMI (pulling HDMI cable, plugging HDMI cable, changing instant game response setting in LG C9, turning on LG C9 after I turn it off with active windows screensaver (TV shows no signal message and PC restarts after ~4 seconds) simply restarts whole PC with no error codes in Event manager. Any though on that? I have 2 certified HDMI 2.1 cables and there is no change in behavior at either 60 or 120 Hz. There are no problems (working from home so using pc for around 12 hours everyday) if I do not change anything (do not change LG C9 settings, do not turn it off, etc.)
2. Anyone knows anything about AMD HDMI 2.1 VRR status at the moment? As far as I know it is not working because in far reaches of the web I did not find anyone who got HDMI 2.1 VRR working (not freesync but HDMI 2.1 VRR). Having LG C9 I can assure you that AMD drivers do not display option to turn on VRR (freesync EDID override does not work because LG C9 does not receive signal after doing it (did the same mod on my 1080 Ti and TV worked 100% just, obviously, did not have freesync).
3. More of a rant really (other RX 6800 (XT) and LG CX or C9 owners input would be appreciated) because official AMD response (to, as far as I'm aware, a known issue) was to try card in a different system – RX 6800 memory speed at 4k 120/100 Hz is at 100% (2000 Mhz) whick not only increases idle power draw from 7-9 W (at 60 Hz) to ~39 W (at 100/120 Hz) but also heats up card quite well.

AMD does not make it easy to like them... Still waiting for a friend to finish Cyberpunk so we can change cards (he has 3080) so I can enjoy metro exodus with ray tracing.
Made an account just to reply to this. I'm experiencing exactly the same issues with a 6900 XT and a LG C9.
I'm speaking to both LG and AMD support and both are playing dumb essentially.
Will keep this updated with any progress.

I'm repeating myself but it fits - AMD does not make it easy to like them - official AMD responses are abysmal, support is non existant, driver tuning section keeps resetting every so often.

Nvidia.... It just works.

Did you get rid of all the Nvidia drivers in Programs and Features and the apps that can only be removed from Apps & Features in Settings? I'm guessing you did, but worth double-checking.

people will disagree but, IMO, you need to reinstall Windows when you switch gpu brands. Too many headaches otherwise.

people will disagree but, IMO, you need to reinstall Windows when you switch gpu brands. Too many headaches otherwise.
Yeah I have reinstalled Windows already, to no avail. There's a new Radeon driver out today so will install that tonight and see what happens

#2 - with Nvidia, they don't show VRR in the Nvidia control panel. You have to look in the windows options for that. One of the sub-menus for the display. I'd wager that it's the same for AMD.

#3 - Nvidia had similar issues for a bit even with a single display. It required a driver update, and took even longer for them to fix the multi display version of that issue.

#1 - sounds like either a driver issue, or windows could use a fresh install.

#2 - with Nvidia, they don't show VRR in the Nvidia control panel. You have to look in the windows options for that. One of the sub-menus for the display. I'd wager that it's the same for AMD.

#3 - Nvidia had similar issues for a bit even with a single display. It required a driver update, and took even longer for them to fix the multi display version of that issue.

if your Nvidia control panel detects VRR mode from your monitor, you will see a gsync section in the NV control panel. You can even turn on an onscreen indicator, to see ingame if gsync/gsync compatibility is working.

for some displays, you actually have to activate VRR in the settings menus of the display, before your GPU can detect VRR and use it.

Last edited:
Off to intall fresh windows... second time in two months (was lucky enough to score 5900x and x570 tomahawk but amd master was refusing to install and idle power draw is still good 25watts higher than my previous heavely overclocked intel 10700k). Will report back.

if your Nvidia control panel detects VRR mode from your monitor, you will see a gsync section in the NV control panel. You can even turn on an onscreen indicator, to see ingame if gsync/gsync compatibility is working.

for some displays, you actually have to activate VRR in the settings menus of the display, before your GPU can detect VRR and use it.
I was referring to this setting:

VRR.JPG

To get there, right click on the desktop, choose Display Settings, scroll down in that page to get to Graphics Settings, click it. There is the VRR setting.

View attachment 321720

To get there, right click on the desktop, choose Display Settings, scroll down in that page to get to Graphics Settings, click it. There is the VRR setting.
That's basically a setting to try and force VRR onto older games which otherwise don't work with VRR through normal settings (Monitor + driver control panel options).

View attachment 321720

I have few things to say after fresh windows installation:
1. From these screenshots I'm pretty sure you are using nvidia gpu (because over at AMD camp nothing is working).
2. HDMI restarting pc was a windows thing...
3. Very appropriate song, which sums up how I feel after buying AMD gpu –

Attachments

• In the ghetto.jpg
    In the ghetto.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

In regard to #3 – I know, I was there (was using 2 screens at the time) but at least nvidia got around to fix it... #1 – fixed it with fresh windows install. #2 – please take a look at third point in post above.

This is the dumbest advice I've heard in a while. Not true going all the way back to XP.
I'd say the same but sometimes nuclear option indeed works. I did DDU in safe mode but HDMI issues just kept creeping in (fixed after fresh windows install). Another issue was with metro exodus – mouse movement (and in turn – the game) was stuttery and nothing fixed it (believe me I tried to find what caused this nonsense as it was literally this single game which had this bizarre issue). And again, this was 2 months old windows install with not that many apps installed (20 tops).

I have few things to say after fresh windows installation:
1. From these screenshots I'm pretty sure you are using nvidia gpu (because over at AMD camp nothing is working).
2. HDMI restarting pc was a windows thing...
3. Very appropriate song, which sums up how I feel after buying AMD gpu –

Looks like you need an AMD driver that has VRR support then (not just freesync).

Or windows needs an update.

Either way... 🥸

This is the dumbest advice I've heard in a while. Not true going all the way back to XP.
I've seen it time after time after time. People switch sides and end up with strange issues which they chase for days. Yeah, its all ones and zeroes. There is a way somewhere, to fix any of it. But when the usual suspects don't fix it (driver cleaners, restore points, uninstalling things, re-seating hardware, latest drivers and firmwares, etc) ----- ultimately the point becomes, just do a fresh install with Windows. I have personally had too many issues and seen many more from others, to even try doing it anymore without a reinstall of windows ----- all the way back to XP. I even had quite an enjoyable time with Vista, which I got on day 2 of release.

I've seen it time after time after time. People switch sides and end up with strange issues which they chase for days. Yeah, its all ones and zeroes. There is a way somewhere, to fix any of it. But when the usual suspects don't fix it (driver cleaners, restore points, uninstalling things, re-seating hardware, latest drivers and firmwares, etc) ----- ultimately the point becomes, just do a fresh install with Windows. I have personally had too many issues and seen many more from others, to even try doing it anymore without a reinstall of windows ----- all the way back to XP. I even had quite an enjoyable time with Vista, which I got on day 2 of release.
I actually agree, I just meant that it generally is something you should do last, but most people jump to conclusions and just reinstall and it does nothing to fix the problem. May have jumped a bit myself before reading most posts in the thread, sorry about that.

I actually agree, I just meant that it generally is something you should do last, but most people jump to conclusions and just reinstall and it does nothing to fix the problem. May have jumped a bit myself before reading most posts in the thread, sorry about that.
Well, I actually meant its a personal rule of mine to reinstall windows when switching GPU or CPU brands. IMO, problems are inevitable, if you don't start with a fresh windows install. And anytime I see someone with similar problems after switching brands, I ask if they reinstalled windows. If they didn't, I always recommend it.

Just to rub it in – nvidia doesnt have either #2 or #3. Vrr just works and at 4k 120hz I get few watts higher power draw than at 4k 60hz but it's unnoticeable (memory idles in low power state).

Last edited:
I've replaced motherboards and not reinstalled Windows 10. No problems. Same with switching GPU brands. DDU, install, fire and forget.

I would reinstall the OS but only if I ran into a problem that was not readily resolvable after running through the basics.

Back