Rumoured; Apple’s Dual 8K VR Headset

hmmm, wonder if it will play Steam VR games?

Call me pessimistic, but I don't see foveal rendering making dual 8K practical on notebook grade hardware. I'm all for making VR more mainstream, but pricing an Apple VR HMD at $3K would relegate it to an even more niche segment.

Call me pessimistic, but I don't see foveal rendering making dual 8K practical on notebook grade hardware. I'm all for making VR more mainstream, but pricing an Apple VR HMD at $3K would relegate it to an even more niche segment.
IOW, sounds plausible™.

Hololens 2 is $3500 (it include the computer in it) so the price tag is not crazy for an augmented reality HMD (i.e. those are for professional type of workload) and everything Apple do has a potential to be seen has the first one to be doing it even if it existed for a very long time in how they can make look cool and turn mainstream among riche people, what was niche just before.

If that foveal rendering work great, you do not necessarily need much to run it GPU wise (what need to be full resolution/color, 3% of what we see, 5-6% of those screen ? that not a lot of pixel)

The neat thing here is the supply chain and software dev. If someone makes a 8k headset there is volume manufacturing of panels and the one thing Apple doesn't do is make its own panels.
Plus someone has to make software for it. I think they will push things forward for everybody so I'm looking forward to it, even if it is a Hololens style experiment with business customers etc. I look forward to going to a store (post vaccine :D and seeing what a 8K headset looks like even if I don't buy an Apple branded headset).

Wow this headset sounds amazing.
Apple worked with amd to put the
Radeon Pro Vega II Duo: dual-GPU Vega. There are rumors amd was going to make another dual gpu.
Maybe they will make another for this? Maybe 3 gpu's on one board....ohhh

I would buy it if there was zero screen door effect and excellent contrast ratio just to watch movies with. People spend $3k+ on TVs all the time, so $3k on a device that could legitimately match the performance of a OLED tv but give them a true theater experience in private would be a bargain. I live in an apartment, so it's not practical for me to do a real home theater.

The issue with current devices (and I have used them all) is that none of them meet the standard of even matching a $400 TCL 4k TV for viewing. They either have horrible contrast ratio (HP Reverb units), uncomfortable headbands, low resolution, poor viewing angle, etc, etc, etc. If a company actually make a VR headset a comparable experience to watching a mid-level home theater projector, hell, $5k would be a great deal.

hmmm, maybe the rumoured dual packaged 80cu Navi 21 offspring is for Apple. . .

I'm sure many here already realize this, but to be clear: this headset would likely be aimed at developers, or at least pros who want VR and AR for specific projects. I don't think Apple is under any illusion that a $3K headset would be an appealing alternative to an Oculus Quest.

If this is accurate, I'd see it more as a stepping stone toward a consumer headset under $1K, if not AR glasses.

Back