Rumors of ARC's cancellation...

They just announced some refocusing in recent time (getting a bit out of some type of memory, drone), I could imagine that it was from the start all about the data center GPU affair and if they could use it down on the dGPU gaming side they would, the rumors:
Intel's dGPU program is being evaluated for continuance. Upper Intel management is concerned about the viability of its dGPU moving forward in a fast changing market given its track record of Alchemist execution currently (...) and the execution of next-gen Battlemage is already extremely questionable. At this time it does not like like [the] data center GPU is on the chopping block - alleged Intel source
Make quite sense to me.

Getting out of all GPU like acceleration (outside small iGPU) would be a big news to me, the consumer gaming card depending on what RDNA 3/Lovelace look like and the sum of problem with their current cards..... that it is something they are at least considering to get out of, make sense. Or at least getting out of trying to compete with the latest generation xx70 TI level of performance for gaming.

That said could be false, could be perceived that a lot of the issue are with the massive difficulty to compete with decade of optimisation for the pre-Vulkan DX12 days and will slowly matter less and less.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

There's at least 3 videos on YouTube claiming "inside sources" are considering killing the ARC graphics cards.

Probably BS, but entertaining viewing:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=arc+cancelled
saw that earlier today and was just looking to see if it was posted. with the losses reported and killing off optane etc, i guess we'll have to wait and see....
oh and "the 780 never existed" is going around too.

I'm hoping they survive just for more competition.

I said long ago the Intel GPU needed an M.2 interface like the AMD PRO SSG on all the cards to push their Optane memory sales and greatly improve performance. Now Optane looks dead and systems without Resizable BAR or SAM will suffer.
I'll pick up a low end card if we ever see them, just for AV1 and Quick sync for Plex.

saw that earlier today and was just looking to see if it was posted. with the losses reported and killing off optane etc, i guess we'll have to wait and see....
oh and "the 780 never existed" is going around too.

Yea that Optane announcement was troubling. In my other life (systems engineer) there are IT teams taking a spontaneous dump over this.

Some people bought in hard.

Man if they had started just a year sooner they would have made some money and been hooked. I'm sad if this is true.

If intel doesn't step up its game they may as well.

Pricing, timing, drivers and dev support (bribing them to optimize for arc ~_^) are all lackluster.

Sounds like another delay, no evidence that it's actually being cancelled. Obviously not good for Intel.

I would be shocked if they cancelled before releasing at least 1 or 2 gens of cards.

Yea that Optane announcement was troubling. In my other life (systems engineer) there are IT teams taking a spontaneous dump over this.

Some people bought in hard.
If you used it in app-direct mode, you're going to get to rearchitect whole databases/etc here at the next refresh cycle - that's a MAJOR amount of work that no one expected to do. Unless you want to buy massive amounts of RAM instead

(lets just say I have a couple of demo boxes for it - 384G of DRAM, 3T of PMEM - if you don't want to redesign, you now get to buy 4T of RAM in your next refresh).

It killed a project I was fiddling with. Just as we were buying hardware :p

If you used it in app-direct mode, you're going to get to rearchitect whole databases/etc here at the next refresh cycle - that's a MAJOR amount of work that no one expected to do. Unless you want to buy massive amounts of RAM instead

(lets just say I have a couple of demo boxes for it - 384G of DRAM, 3T of PMEM - if you don't want to redesign, you now get to buy 4T of RAM in your next refresh).

I'm lucky, I thought it was too risky to load in on. The only thing I trust about Intel is that they will continue making x86 processors.

But other folks I know in the industry- yea... you know what I'm saying.

There is more than just games that use OpenGL/DX/Vulkan. Maybe non gaming graphics that use these APIs was also affected adversely. In other words the problems not worth all the cost from support, bad reviews/unhappy customers. Yet Intel has been making drivers for these APIs for their iGPUs. This driver problem may be more due to hardware design issues/flaws, not as if Intel never made drivers for DX 9/11/OpenGL.

lol one rumor site saying another rumor site is wrong.
i think they are close enough that we might see an initial run but they might die off. the lack of driver game support is gonna hurt real bad. plus weve seen them about this close twice and cancel...
edited speeling

Last edited:

And here I am wondering if it could save us from our poor database design. Oh well, guess people will have to learn.

https://wccftech.com/raja-koduri-cr...o-roadmap-four-new-axg-lineups-ramp-end-2022/

Raja Koduri Crushes Intel Arc GPU Rumors, Says “We Are Very Much Committed To Our Roadmap”, AXG To Ramp Four New Product Lines By End of 2022​

So much for likely corporate competition, shill rumors

Raja Koduri is not the person who's words you should trust. If Pat Gelsinger said it, sure. If literally anyone else said it, sure. But Raja has a history of outright lying. Desperate, panicked and uninformed lying, but lying nonetheless.

Also remember, they've technically Launched Arc in Q2™© by selling one boxed card off the back of a truck in Whuan by June 30th.

So when they say New Product lines by end of 2022™© I expect exactly 2 new products selling only in asian territories at extremely limited volume in mid-to-late december.

He's always seemed like a shitty used car salesman to me.
I wouldn't go that far, more like someone who has grandiose plans he can't follow through on and ends up BS'ing his way up the ladder before any consequences hit him directly.

Reactions: spine
like this
Linus Tech Tips is reporting the same thing:

Arc is looking like a total disaster at this point. This is depressing because AMD and Nvidia desperately need some competition.

Arc will be back and better than ever next year. Remember Nvidia didn't start out with a perfect product either.

At least Intel started out rendering triangles. NV1 rendered quads... there is always hope!

Linus Tech Tips is reporting the same thing:

Arc is looking like a total disaster at this point. This is depressing because AMD and Nvidia desperately need some competition.

We need the competition. AMD and Nvidia would be happy to not have Intel in the ring also.

When Intel started getting serious with ARC, it was back when a 1050Ti was selling for a kidney. Only a few years of those kind of margins even being 3rd fiddle would return on the 3+Bn investment.

Now people are trying to get rid of their 3080s for less than what a 3060 was worth at it's peak. It's a different market entirely, and Intel will ONLY lose money, that initial investment will not pay off with the kind of dumping we're seeing on the market.

When Intel started getting serious with ARC, it was back when a 1050Ti was selling for a kidney. Only a few years of those kind of margins even being 3rd fiddle would return on the 3+Bn investment.

Now people are trying to get rid of their 3080s for less than what a 3060 was worth at it's peak. It's a different market entirely, and Intel will ONLY lose money, that initial investment will not pay off with the kind of dumping we're seeing on the market.

ARC may end up being a historical footnote that we geeks use as a touch stone or meme like "Duke Nukem".

As for the market and this coming winter- we'll be able to heat our homes with cheap, capable, GPUs while lamenting the tears of purchases past.

AMD and Nvidia had many teething issues on first mass produced cards and even some screw ups up until now. Nvidia 970's '3.5GB' problem was just 8 years ago.
Given the known past practices of Nvidia, I'm just curious how much effort Nvidia and AMD are using to cloud the Intel Arc launch with shills and fanboys.
I own a lot of AMD and Nvidia cards and welcome a new player to make the market prices better.

AMD and Nvidia had many teething issues on first mass produced cards and even some screw ups up until now. Nvidia 970's '3.5GB' problem was just 8 years ago.
Given the known past practices of Nvidia, I'm just curious how much effort Nvidia and AMD are using to cloud the Intel Arc launch with shills and fanboys.
I own a lot of AMD and Nvidia cards and welcome a new player to make the market prices better.
No one pays me for my opinion. Unless it's about network infrastructure.

Yep their window of opportunity has passed imo. They also clearly goofed on the most important aspect, stable & quality drivers.

Now they are going to have to sell at a significant discount. But if I was Intel I'd kinda expect to take losses on our first gen cards. If they bail out now that would be a pretty pathetic showing from their management.

For Intel, they better release something, even if mostly OEM which would sell to the less inform or the ones who really don't care much. For them to pull out would also send some major shock waves for investors on Intel's ability to successfully succeed in any project pushing their stock price even lower. Intel could have a great game bundle, hint hint, games that actually run well with Intel -> Intel approved games :D. I see Intel having viable options for a less than stellar product, OEM computers (would be funny seeing an Intel game store that just sold games that run, maybe not even decently on ARC). Work with Microsoft for some help for recommended games to buy through Microsoft Game Store, Intel discounts for games for ARC, a.k.a games that, well run. I don't see Intel pulling out completely, just compete in a different fashion and way that they have control over yet -> Mobile and OEMs.

Back