RTX 3xxx performance speculation

so is it best to buy FE and plain vanilla AIB cards vs... OC $$$ AIB offerings? Myself too be honest I'm not planning on overclocking it, so maybe something cheap and quiet would be a way to go... I might even undervolt it if possible. Just like I did with 1070.

This time the FE cards look the best value, if you can get your hands on one. New cooler is supposed to be much better than the last FE cooler which wasn't that bad itself.

If I wanted an 3080, I would definitely be trying for an FE card, but that might be difficult for quite some time, this release has more buzz than anything since Pascal, and with the FE cards being the cheapest as well, is going to make them the most desirable for a lot of people.

This time the FE cards look the best value, if you can get your hands on one. New cooler is supposed to be much better than the last FE cooler which wasn't that bad itself.

If I wanted an 3080, I would definitely be trying for an FE card, but that might be difficult for quite some time, this release has more buzz than anything since Pascal, and with the FE cards being the cheapest as well, is going to make them the most desirable for a lot of people.

I'm not sure how that works when ordering from NVIDIA from Canada (maybe someone can PM if they have any experience, it might be not the topic in this thread).

I'm not planning to buy it right away. It is to build new PCs for my kids (3750k / my gtx1070) and (6500 / gtx970). I'm planning to build 2 rigs with 4700x (zen3) + 3080s for xmas. It doesn't make sense to buy GPUs now, because both CPUs will bottleneck 3080s.

Regardless the chances are good, there won't be any 3080/zen3 stock until next spring...

30% more power... I don't think there won't be much OC room.

So it sounds like OC's will be limited by board wattage, and of course binning / luck. The reference aib cards are only like 330w, whereas the fe is 370w. A few AIB's will eventually be releasing cards that are 400w, so it will be interesting to see how they match up against the fine tuned fe card.

30% more power... I don't think there won't be much OC room.

The power increase is GDDR6X being an early unoptimized release. The chips should overclock as usual, guessing we will see 2050-2100mhz overclocks on the average chip and probably 2200 on the upper 10% bins.

So it sounds like OC's will be limited by board wattage, and of course binning / luck. The reference aib cards are only like 330w, whereas the fe is 370w. A few AIB's will eventually be releasing cards that are 400w, so it will be interesting to see how they match up against the fine tuned fe card.

Same as it's always been...shunt mods have been around a while to help bypass board limits.

Will the physical brick and mortar stores (Best Buy, Micro Center etc.) be selling Founder's Edition cards, or will those only be available from Nvidia directly? I've been into both stores a dozen times in the last year and have never seen an Nvidia branded card for sale there. I'd like to grab an FE card, but if it's only going to be online I'm sure I'll be SOL.

https://videocardz.com/newz/alleged-geforce-rtx-3080-graphics-card-test-leaks-online

So this coupled with the other few performance leaks looks like 3080 will be on avg. ~30% above 2080 Ti in games. Seems to be in line with the historically accurate equation of: Nvidia's marketed improvement, then subtract 30%.

Amazing that people will still look at a 30% generational increase as Moses parting the sea when, prior to Turing, this was par for the course (and even a bit anaemic of an increase).

Considering that the 3080 should be compared to the 2080 that is pretty good. The 2080ti replacement is the 3090. Now if that was only 30% increase in performance I wouldn't be impressed at all.

I think the ~30% improvement + $$$ price drop over overpriced 2080TIs makes 3080 look like a decent release. However I still think all these GPUs are freaking overpriced. The top dog 3090 should be 699... 3080 499...etc...
I agree with you 100%. The cards are still overpriced. Normally the non-Ti X80 cards were 20% faster than the previous X80 Ti cards for $499-549 and this time we will get a non-Ti 3080 with a performance increase of 30% over the 2080 Ti for $699.
It is a little better as I have expected though. I expected the 3080 to be on par with the 2080ti for $799.
It just looks good if we compare the 3000 Series release to the 2000 Series release, because we get more performance for the 3070 and 3080 as we got with the 2070 and 2080. But the Top Tier cards got not even more expensive with another 50% price increase of the MSRP from $999 for the 2080ti to $1499 for the 3090, which is pretty ridiculous.

Will the physical brick and mortar stores (Best Buy, Micro Center etc.) be selling Founder's Edition cards, or will those only be available from Nvidia directly? I've been into both stores a dozen times in the last year and have never seen an Nvidia branded card for sale there. I'd like to grab an FE card, but if it's only going to be online I'm sure I'll be SOL.

I stopped by Best Buy yesterday to ask some questions about the release on Thursday.

According to their inventory tracker, none of the 3080 cards were on their way to the store yet (but it said that for EVERY store). The 3 listed SKU's on their website indicate Founders, and 2 Gigabyte cards (these were listed at 50 bucks more).

The manager advised me to check back on Wednesday to have someone check their shipping manifest again, to ensure they were going to have ANY cards at all, before I went and hung out early before opening on Thursday.

I am also hoping to get a Founders, and knew that in person was likely the only way to pull it off.

But the Top Tier cards got not even more expensive with another 50% price increase of the MSRP from $999 for the 2080ti to $1499 for the 3090, which is pretty ridiculous.
We really shouldn't be comparing the 3090 to the 2080Ti as a direct replacement. The 3090 has been branded as 'the new Titan', and is configured for compute as much as gaming.

As of this time, there isn't an Ampere replacement for the 2080Ti.

We really shouldn't be comparing the 3090 to the 2080Ti as a direct replacement. The 3090 has been branded as 'the new Titan', and is configured for compute as much as gaming.

As of this time, there isn't an Ampere replacement for the 2080Ti.
I disagree there is a titan replacement. Nvidia just hasn’t released it yet. We know this because of the new Quattro card with the full die. Nvidia is probably saving it as an in case they need it to go against AMD.

I disagree there is a titan replacement. Nvidia just hasn’t released it yet. We know this because of the new Quattro card with the full die. Nvidia is probably saving it as an in case they need it to go against AMD.

It's a tier they haven't released in a while. Once upon a time it was a dual GPU card at the high end until Titan Z changed that paradigm.

I believe we'll see a 3080 Ti eventually and then we can compare that to the 2080 Ti release. Titan will probably come out in several months.

I just got back from my local Micro Center (Columbus, OH; their big store) and spoke with 5 of the BYOPC guys standing around at the main kiosk. They told me their store is slated to get 20 total 3080's in, all AIB, no Founder's Edition. HUNDREDS of customers have come into the store, asking what time they should get in line. Apparently, a ton of folks are going to show up the night before, right when MC closes their doors, and are going to set up tents. So yeah, if you planned on going to MC a few hours early, like me, you probably don't want to waste your time. I guess my vanilla 5700 is going to have to power my HP Reverb G2 for quite a while... :(

I just got back from my local Micro Center (Columbus, OH; their big store) and spoke with 5 of the BYOPC guys standing around at the main kiosk. They told me their store is slated to get 20 total 3080's in, all AIB, no Founder's Edition. HUNDREDS of customers have come into the store, asking what time they should get in line. Apparently, a ton of folks are going to show up the night before, right when MC closes their doors, and are going to set up tents. So yeah, if you planned on going to MC a few hours early, like me, you probably don't want to waste your time. I guess my vanilla 5700 is going to have to power my HP Reverb G2 for quite a while... :(

Only 20? Ouch. I've been wondering if my local Best Buy would get any at all but I'm starting to doubt it.

I disagree there is a titan replacement.
This is literally what JHH explained the 3090 as, and the excessive memory included supports a 'Titan'-style product line placement. I'll definitely say that the change in naming convention adds a bit of confusion, though.

This is literally what JHH explained the 3090 as, and the excessive memory included supports a 'Titan'-style product line placement. I'll definitely say that the change in naming convention adds a bit of confusion, though.

Yeah, I guess that T word did come out of the jacket's mouth. 😁

Possibly, but the performance difference in the 3080 -> 3090 is much larger than the 2080 ti -> Titan Xp. At least it appears to from leaked benchmarks.

I am sorry, but I do not believe anything that JHH would say. If it would make them money, you are damn right they would release a full die 48GB Titan.

Not surprise there is no FE, only Nvidia and Bestbuy sales FE cards. I probably gonna go with the Bestbuy route for a FE card as that is how I scored the 2080Ti last time.

Riddle me this: Why do people buy tiny ass cases if they plan to also buy big ass GPUs?
Over the last week i have seen dozens of people asking about whether certain cards will fit inside their shoe-box cases.

Are some pc gamers just obsessed with cramming as much power into the smallest space possible? why do that? my $60 define s could fit two 3090's end-to-end in it... wtf are you people buying?

To be clear I'm not talking about SFF. I mean ATX builds.
My current PC is a mITX build sitting in a Corsair 250D with a GTX 1080 FE fitting nicely in it. I used to have a Fractal Design Define XL full-tower case but it was a tight fit on my old desk since it sat behind my monitor (such a great case). The more compact build fit perfectly behind the monitor and freed up desk space (I can't place it on the floor). This made me fall in love with the more compact, cuboid type builds.

My latest build project is going a little bit larger but still in a fairly compact cube-like format using the Fractal Design Node 804, which can fit mATX boards. It'll have two 240mm x 54mm radiators in the top with two 120mm fans exhausting air up and out the top. If I want to keep the front case fan in place, I can fit up to a 290mm video card. That's enough space to fit an RTX 3080 FE (285mm). If I am willing to remove the front case fan, I can fit up to a 320mm video card. That's enough space to fit an RTX 3090 FE (313mm). That's where my current challenge lies, and where I seek advice from the experts here:

There is plenty of filtered ventilation on the bottom and front of the case. If I have no intake fans in the motherboard chamber, would the 120mm exhaust fan on the back of the case, the two 120mm fans attached to the 240mm radiators at the top of the case, and the fans on a RTX 3090 be enough to help pull in fresh cool air front the front and bottom vents without needing them to run at a higher speed (thus, louder or hotter)?

I believe there is room to lay some 120mm fans at on the bottom of the case and pull air through the bottom vents, but there are no predefined mounting holes for said fans. I think 80mm fans will mount based on a Legit Reviews article and image. But if it wouldn't be needed, then I would forgo that. If it isn't a good idea, then I will stick to the RTX 3080.

At some point, I would like to replace the stock cooler with a waterblock and tie it into my loop, but that will most likely be months or more away, after there are enough videos and how-to's online showing how to remove the stock heatsink.

I am sorry, but I do not believe anything that JHH would say.
You're going to argue against the CEO who presented the product?

Okay...?

If it would make them money, you are damn right they would release a full die 48GB Titan.

How do you know that they won't do exactly that with Quadros and Teslas?

lots of preorders up on ebay for $1200. lol this is what makes nvidia say oh maybe we messed up and could have charged $1200.

Looks like 20 or so of them have been purchased. Some of these guys are gonna be HEATED when the ebay seller doesnt get one.

People have acted spoiled since Maxwell-> Pascal.
Either the forum posters average age dropped a lot or people's ability to remember fails bigtime 🤷‍♂️

I would hazard the avg poster age on VidCardz at early 20s max,likely many in late teens.Given how many 25-44 have moved back in with their parents last 2 years as the economy collapses,no surprise.
I am going to BestBuy early AM on the 17th with a lawn chair.

I would hazard the avg poster age on VidCardz at early 20s max,likely many in late teens.Given how many 25-44 have moved back in with their parents last 2 years as the economy collapses,no surprise.
I am going to BestBuy early AM on the 17th with a lawn chair.

My local Best Buy may have 1 on launch day. I doubt they will have more. It's a small Best Buy with low traffic this time of year.

I'll get in touch with them either tomorrow or Wednesday.

My local Best Buy may have 1 on launch day. I doubt they will have more. It's a small Best Buy with low traffic this time of year.

why not just go to one of the bigger stores?

My area has three inside 30 miles and are all big.

Wow, it's amazing to me people are talking about shopping at B&M's again. It's like the 90's all over again :p

I want a 3090 and all, but I'm not going to stand in line or camp anywhere, or get up at the crack ass of dawn to go shopping. That's where I draw the line.

I'll try a few times online on the 24th.

Back