RTX 3090 Strix OC - Temperatures / Undervolting Results

Elric82

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I have a Strix 3090 OC for a while now and the card is great but i'm always concerned by temps.

At stock profile with fan speed around 90 to 100%
The Core can goes up to 80c
memory around 86 kinda.

I have a 3840x1600 / 160Hz screen.

I've read that GDDR6X is safe untill 100c but still I'm not very comfortable with high temps and fan noise and i'm considering going on a full loop in a few months

In the meantime i've undervolted the GPU to 1860Mhz @ 0.825v, no issues so far, is this a good results. I've not really been able to benchmark if the gaming performance was really affected but what % of FPS am I Losing you think?

Thanks !

Quote Reply

There have been anecdotal reports of severe quality control issues on thermal pad and thermal grease applications with the 30xx series, even the high end cards like the 80's 80ti's and 90's.

You may want to remove your card's cooler and check those items to see if they were all applied properly or if you need to take corrective measures.

Regardless, the last two generation of Nvdia GPUs generally target seeking temperatures of 70-80+ by auto boosting the frequency and drawing as much current as need to reach as high a frequency as possible for a given "safe" temperature maximum. Increasing the fan speed increases your heat dissipation while also slightly increasing your heat generation from the additional power draw of spinning the fans faster and pushing you closer to the cards maximum allowable power draw (i.e. why several Nvidia cards list whether the max draw is 380w or 400w or 450+w).

I don't want to open the card and void the warranty. Asus EU isn't ok with even changing thermal pads. I wanted to know if 90c on memory is ok?

Back