RTX 3070Ti - Texture Render and Flicker Issue

localhost

n00b
Specs (stock settings):

- Asus Rog Strix Z690-F Motherboard
- Asus Rog Strix OC RTX 3070 ti
- DDR5 @ 4800mhz
- Corsair 1000W multi rail psu

I am experiencing graphical issues in all games and Heaven benchmarks. Some issues are more visible than others:

- Problems occur on both iGPU and Nvidia GPU.
- Textures, objects and foliage will pop in and pop out when walking towards or away from them. Some will flicker.
- Shadows will move or morph when moving towards them or away.
- Distant shadows will fuzz or flicker.
- Some lighting will flicker.
- Will feel like micro jittery and laggy intermittently.
- While benchmarking games or Heaven my 1% low and 0.1% low framerates will be a very low value (1 digit value) compared to average fps.

UPDATE (things I have done but still experiencing the same issues):

- Noticed when testing, both the integrated Intel iGPU and Nvidia GPU are experiencing the same issues. Very strange.
- Have tried re-seated the CPU.
- Have tried using different ram and only 1 stick of ram with no XMP profile.
- Have used another NVME.
- Have formatted and re-installed Windows 10, latest nvidia drivers and tried using previous older versions.
- Have updated to latest BIOS.

I have tried and checked many things already and cannot find a solution or the cause. If anyone know what the problem is from please help me out. I really am confused at what the issue is caused from? Can't even return the hardware since I cannot isolate the problem. Though if it's not hardware then could it be Intel or Asus software or driver issues? I'm out of ideas!

Last edited:
According to techpowerup the default board target is 310 watts. So, double check cables and try a short power test (like kombuster/furmark)

I don't know what your card draws from the pci-e slot, but when I had my 3070ti I'm pretty sure it was closer to 50-60 watts.

So make sure that's installed all the way.

What motherboard do you have? My Maximus Z690 Extreme requires that an additional 6 pin PCIe power cable be plugged into it in order to provide supplemental PCIe power. Evidently, the board only outputs 27w through the slot without it. I'm not sure your motherboard has this option, but if it does that might be your issue. I know the Maximus Z690 APEX has the same configuration, albeit in a slightly different location. Of course, not every motherboard has this as GIGABYTE's Z690 Aorus Xtreme only has the standard dual 8-pin connectors for the CPU and the 24 pin ATX header. I just find it odd that your PCIe slot power draw is so low.

1642264410200.png

1642264371925.png

What motherboard do you have? My Maximus Z690 Extreme requires that an additional 6 pin PCIe power cable be plugged into it in order to provide supplemental PCIe power. Evidently, the board only outputs 27w through the slot without it. I'm not sure your motherboard has this option, but if it does that might be your issue. I know the Maximus Z690 APEX has the same configuration, albeit in a slightly different location. Of course, not every motherboard has this as GIGABYTE's Z690 Aorus Xtreme only has the standard dual 8-pin connectors for the CPU and the 24 pin ATX header. I just find it odd that your PCIe slot power draw is so low.

My motherboard is an Asus Rog Strix Z690-F Gaming Wifi.

Have you tried a different pc if you have one?

I have another computer with exactly the same specs only thing different is the gpu.

I have put the Asus gpu and my ssd into the other computer and the texture, lighting and shadow issues still arises. So it could be the gpu but I can’t fully confirm it yet.

Both builds are using factory bios 0403. It shouldn’t matter if not using an updated bios right?

I have another computer with exactly the same specs only thing different is the gpu.

I have put the Asus gpu and my ssd into the other computer and the texture, lighting and shadow issues still arises. So it could be the gpu but I can’t fully confirm it yet.

Both builds are using factory bios 0403. It shouldn’t matter if not using an updated bios right?
The BIOS shouldn't matter as far as that's concerned. However, memory settings and any number of things can cause artifacts in games. Sometimes its just the game or a video card driver. I would check your temps and also see what your GPU clocks are doing. You can use GPU-Z and log to a file, or set it to show you the maximum readings while you are in game and when you tab out, you can see what's going on. The logging to a file helps in cases where the game crashes and the system reboots.

I would update the bios. some boards had strange issues with their factory bios---which are fixed by an updated bios. And in general, Alder Lake bios have been through a number of improvements already. Especially for RAM support.

I would update the bios. some boards had strange issues with their factory bios---which are fixed by an updated bios. And in general, Alder Lake bios have been through a number of improvements already. Especially for RAM support.

Never had to update my bios in the past to get the gpu to work. But I will give it a shot. Hopefully it fixes this problem. If not then I don't know what to do next.

Once I compile the videos showing what the problem looks like I will post it soon.

Last edited:
UPDATE (things I have done but still experiencing same issues):

- After trying to isolate the problem I notice that I am now experiencing the same graphic issues on both the integrated Intel iGPU and Nvidia GPU. Very strange.
- Have formatted and re-installed Windows 10, latest nvidia drivers and tried using older versions.

Not sure what the cause of these graphic issues on both igpu and dedicated gpu is from? Very confusing as I have isolated alot of things already. I know for sure its not the game because I have played it using older hardware and it never shown any issues like this before. If anyone know what the issue is please let me know? If anyone has the same or very similar specs did you experience any of these issues?

Last edited:
UPDATE (things I have done but still experiencing same issues):

- After trying to isolate the problem I notice that I am now experiencing the same graphic issues on both the integrated Intel iGPU and Nvidia GPU. Very strange.
- Have formatted and re-installed Windows 10, latest nvidia drivers and tried using older versions.

Not sure what the cause of these graphic issues on both igpu and dedicated gpu is from? Very confusing as I have isolated alot of things already. I know for sure its not the game because I have played it using older hardware and it never shown any issues like this before. If anyone know what the issue is please let me know? If anyone has the same or very similar specs did you experience any of these issues?
What games/software are you using? Some games are known for visual anomalies and could make you think you are having issues when you aren't. Cyberpunk 2077 artifacts for seemingly no reason at times. Sometimes because of DLSS.

have you tried different video cables?

Do you have resizeable BAR enabled? (If yes, try disabling it).

What are your GPU and GPU-memory temps? Have you tried downclocking the GPU and GPU-memory slightly (maybe 100 or so mhz on each) to see if the issue disappears? Are you using separate PCI-e cables for each connector or a pigtail?

What games/software are you using? Some games are known for visual anomalies and could make you think you are having issues when you aren't. Cyberpunk 2077 artifacts for seemingly no reason at times. Sometimes because of DLSS.

Warzone, CSGO and Heaven benchmarks. I have been playing CSGO all my life and know what is normal and what is not. Especially on a DirectX9 game I’m not suppose to be experiencing these artifacts. It seems to happen in every game or gpu based applications though. Just some are more noticeable than others.

Plus I have another build with almost identical specs and it is not showing these issues or not as bad.

I have everything on stock. No DLSS, RT or Resizeable bar.

The weird thing is both iGPU and 3070ti are having the same issues.

Last edited:
What are your GPU and GPU-memory temps? Have you tried downclocking the GPU and GPU-memory slightly (maybe 100 or so mhz on each) to see if the issue disappears? Are you using separate PCI-e cables for each connector or a pigtail?

GPU temp seems fine. 60C-64C range.

I am using 3 seperate PCIe cables to power my 3070ti.

I don’t think it is a GPU issue because these graphic issues or artefacts also happen with the onboard iGPU aswell. That’s why this is very confusing and strange. Been trying to isolate the problem but it keeps getting stranger and stranger lol.

Last edited:
Warzone, CSGO and Heaven benchmarks. I have been playing CSGO all my life and know what is normal and what is not. Especially on a DirectX9 game I’m not suppose to be experiencing these artifacts. It seems to happen in every game or gpu based applications though. Just some are more noticeable than others.

Plus I have another build with almost identical specs and it is not showing these issues or not as bad.

I have everything on stock. No DLSS, RT or Resizeable bar.

The weird thing is both iGPU and 3070ti are having the same issues.
Well, if you had told me that you were playing a Bethesda game or Cyberpunk 2077, I'd blame the software. That's why I asked.

Does disabling the IGPU make any difference?

Based on your descriptions it could be a cullling/filtering issue, but it is strange that it occurs on a fresh install and on 2 different GPUs. Are all Nvidia optimizations off in the Nvidia control panel?

Does disabling the IGPU make any difference?

Based on your descriptions it could be a cullling/filtering issue, but it is strange that it occurs on a fresh install and on 2 different GPUs. Are all Nvidia optimizations off in the Nvidia control panel?

No disabling the iGPU does not make a difference. The problem happens on both integrated and dedicated gpus which is a very strange problem I have ever encountered. Just then I tried plugging in another PSU and it didn't get rid of the issue.

I have tried isolating nearly everything. What is left is the motherboard and CPU. Not sure how I would test these to see which is faulty? Any suggestions?

Well, if you had told me that you were playing a Bethesda game or Cyberpunk 2077, I'd blame the software. That's why I asked.

Yeh my bad. A game from 15 years ago like CSGO which runs on Direct X9 should not be causing these graphic artifacts or issues that I am having. The strangest part is it happens on both integrated and dedicated gpus. Been at it for 2 days isolating hardware and I'm down to the motherboard or the cpu as the potential culprit now. I really don't know it gets more confusing the more I try isolate and figure this out lol.

have you tried moving it to a different area? in case there is something generating electrical noise where youre working on it.

Today I tried checking if my 1000W psu is the cause for the graphical issues.

I removed the 1000W psu from my computer.

I had a spare 600W psu so I installed that to only power the motherboard and 12900K cpu. 600W should be enough to just power that right?

It booted up okay and I went into a game for about a minute then later it shut off. It then was power cycling on and off. Until about 3 minutes of cycling it would turn on again and repeat the same thing.

Why is the psu power cycling? Could this be related to the graphical issues I originally am having? Or is 600W not enough to power just the motherboard and 12900K?

Btw changing the psu did not fix my original graphical problems. Only thing I have left to isolate is the motherboard and cpu now.

Power supply problems aren't going to present as simple graphical anomalies in game. I'd say there is almost no chance of the motherboard being at fault either, but I've seen weird things with RAM and CPU's before. Have you tried different RAM or RAM settings?

Power supply problems aren't going to present as simple graphical anomalies in game. I'd say there is almost no chance of the motherboard being at fault either, but I've seen weird things with RAM and CPU's before. Have you tried different RAM or RAM settings?

I have tried different ram brand. No XMP settings. Did Memtest scan. The ram is fine.

Just now, I took my CPU and dGPU out and put it in the other build that has the same specs. Not sure but it looks like it didn’t show any graphic issues. If there is then it is not as noticeable.

So is it safe to say the motherboard is what is causing my graphic issues to occur? I have isolated all the hardware now. Just the motherboard left now…

If I am correct and the motherboard is what is causing these graphic issues to occur on both iGPU and dGPU. What do you think is wrong with the motherboard? Has faulty motherboards ever been known to cause these graphic issues that I am having?

UPDATE/PROGRESS:

I think I found the cause of my graphical issues. From my build I took out the Samsung 980 Pro and installed it into another build which has the same specs aswell. I was able to see the same issues occur.

I wish I would have done this sooner and now know not to trust the Samsung diagnostic error test even though it didn’t find any errors.

So I am 90% sure it is the nvme that is faulty and causing the graphic issues. But can a faulty nvme also cause my dedicated gpu to hit thermal, voltage, power and no load limits aswell? Because when I put my dedicated gpu into the other build it did not trigger these limits. Very strange.

UPDATE/PROGRESS:

I think I found the cause of my graphical issues. From my build I took out the Samsung 980 Pro and installed it into another build which has the same specs aswell. I was able to see the same issues occur.

I wish I would have done this sooner and now know not to trust the Samsung diagnostic error test even though it didn’t find any errors.

So I am 90% sure it is the nvme that is faulty and causing the graphic issues. But can a faulty nvme also cause my dedicated gpu to hit thermal, voltage, power and no load limits aswell? Because when I put my dedicated gpu into the other build it did not trigger these limits. Very strange.
Software based tests are never 100% reliable. They can only detect certain things. I've seen plenty of hardware pass a software diagnostic only to need replacement anyway. That said, I don't know how a faulty NVMe drive could have any effect on voltages, power or anything else GPU related. That being said, memory and drive failures manifest in the strangest ways. Often presenting in a way that mimics other problems.

Back