RTX 3000 Series easy to find, not so for AMD 6000

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
I live in the burbs of a large city, and we have a couple Microcenters here. Since late October I have been able to walk in to the store, around lunchtime, and pick up two RTX 3070s and one RTX 3080. That wasn't all at once LOL no, it took like 5 weeks of going there almost every other day to be able to get these cards. I felt like a stalker going there so often But I never once waited in a line, and heck no get there overnight to camp out like I hear is very common at this store.

I was back at MC yesterday picking up some misc. parts, the sales guy I got to know there told me nVidia is shipping larger quantities more often, and the new AMD is still very scarce. I asked him what they got in today's shipment, he said the delivery truck had like 350or so RTX 3060 Ti, and 40 RTX 3070s, about 25 RTX 3080s and like 10 RTX 3090s. No AMD 6000 cards. He said all these cards were sold out the minute the store opened, there was a long like out the door early morning, and they didn't even have enough cards for everyone that was waiting outside. I asked him how often they get deliveries of high end video cards now? He said nVidia is shipping like 75 to 100 cards about twice a week, so he says weekly they get like 150+ or so RTX 3000 Series cards, and maybe 10 AMD 6000 Series cards.

He said the new AMD cards are very rare, low quantities. Said since AMD launched their cards officially over one month ago, or 5 weeks now, he said maybe they've received 50 cards in total over five weeks, where comparison, in the past 5 weeks he said they've received probably 1,000+ nVidia RTX 3000 Series cards.

Just for fun I looked at local scalpers online locally, checked Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, and it seems prices are finally coming down, RTX 3080s selling for $900 to $1100, RTX 3070s for like $700. Which isn't so crazy now, when you buy a new card at MC, w/Tax and the special higher end version from like Asus Strix, those cards aren't cheap at the store, walking out you'll pay $850+ for a 3080, and $600+ for a 3070, so the scalper market now seems to be charging maybe a $150+ premium, not double like a month ago. And there's quite a few for sale around here. The big one the RTX 3090 is still crazy high, scalpers asking $2000+, but I have seen on occasion people selling 3090s at sticker price, but those are gone immediately.

I rarely see any AMD 6000 cards on the scalper market, and the few I do, those are marked up high.

Attachments

• PXL_20201219_141344083.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20201219_141344083.PORTRAIT.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
He said the new AMD cards are very rare, low quantities. Said since AMD launched their cards officially over one month ago, or 5 weeks now, he said maybe they've received 50 cards in total over five weeks, where comparison, in the past 5 weeks he said they've received probably 1,000+ nVidia RTX 3000 Series cards.
That sound better for AMD (probably is the case in the USA), but not far to the ratio seen in Europe a while ago (29:1) :

https://hardforum.com/threads/the-970-is-still-a-capable-card-heresy.2002450/page-2#post-1044833395

There latest numbers are 19 upcoming AMD cards for 1370 Nvidia one,

Similar ratio seen in Canada in the second hand market

It's crazy. I can't imagine this being good for AMD. Anyone who is in the market for a high end GPU either managed to get a 3070/3080/3090 by now due to not finding a 6800/XT/6900XT over such a long period of time, or will snag one by the time AMD has any cards out. And nVidia is getting more and more stock in daily. By the time AMD has any stock, anyone interested in a GPU would have been forced to go Green by that point! They might not get very many sales at all by the time the dust settles due to how long it's taking them to get any cards anywhere

It's crazy. I can't imagine this being good for AMD. Anyone who is in the market for a high end GPU either managed to get a 3070/3080/3090 by now due to not finding a 6800/XT/6900XT over such a long period of time, or will snag one by the time AMD has any cards out. And nVidia is getting more and more stock in daily. By the time AMD has any stock, anyone interested in a GPU would have been forced to go Green by that point! They might not get very many sales at all by the time the dust settles due to how long it's taking them to get any cards anywhere
I remember us all thinking that AMD was going to scoop the market since Nvidia couldn't get stock. I've got a 3080/3070, and had chances at 3090s all day long - but I want a 6800XT/6900XT to replace the old 5700XT in the workstation, and damned if I can find one of those!

I haven't been able to get a card to save my life. I have a MC here in Orange County but because we are on lockdown I have to wait in line just to go in. I watched guys walking out of the store with 6900 XT's yesterday.

Last edited:
I remember us all thinking that AMD was going to scoop the market since Nvidia couldn't get stock. I've got a 3080/3070, and had chances at 3090s all day long - but I want a 6800XT/6900XT to replace the old 5700XT in the workstation, and damned if I can find one of those!
There are people that would love to have your RX 5700 XT because all gpu's prices are climbing still , where we use to buy new RX 570 4Gb cards for $129 .. well they are $169 today and never did anything to gain the extra $40 in price and same with Ryzen 3000 and 2000 cpu's because a Ryzen 5 2600 is at $200 now new .

There are people that would love to have your RX 5700 XT because all gpu's prices are climbing still , where we use to buy new RX 570 4Gb cards for $129 .. well they are $169 today and never did anything to gain the extra $40 in price and same with Ryzen 3000 and 2000 cpu's because a Ryzen 5 2600 is at $200 now new .
Oh I know. This is the worst stock situation I remember for a launch; crypto mining aside. I’ve been selling off older bits and helping people get 3XXX series when I can.

It's crazy. I can't imagine this being good for AMD. Anyone who is in the market for a high end GPU either managed to get a 3070/3080/3090 by now due to not finding a 6800/XT/6900XT over such a long period of time, or will snag one by the time AMD has any cards out.
I think that is still a big question mark, it is still virtually impossible to buy those online without a bot that follow stock drop + some fast technic and luck it seem to me. It could be late Q1 2021 for that to be the case, there is still time for sure.

I actually posted this in another thread but it's pretty on the head for what you're discussing here:

My commentary: Check out the scalper sales info regarding the AMD volume. Based on these numbers, Nvidia would be producing something like 40x the number of 3080 cards vs the 6800xt (3080: 10 million in scalper sales vs 6800xt 250k in scalper sales, both similar prices at around 180% over msrp). Talk about low volume for the 6800xt. . .no wonder there are none to be found short of hitting the lottery online. This also matches up with how rediculously low the 5700xt was on the steam survey. It's appallingly demolished in comparison to any nvidia card from the LAST THREE generations. In my opinion, this essentially makes the 6800xt irrelevant in the current climate of bot wars and card availability. /end commentary

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

RTX 30 Series:​

(Image credit: dev.to)
Looking back at the earliest date here, September 15th, the RTX 3080 was selling almost immediately on eBay for 180% of its normal value. As we move along into October of 2020, it became way worse, with the 3080 selling at 220% above its MSRP. Fortunately, as we got into November, things have somewhat stabilized, with the 3080s going back to selling at 180% above its MSRP. But that's still way more than the suggested price.

Much is the same with the RTX 3090. Many scalpers were selling the card at 220% of its MSRP right off the bat. Then things died down, with the card now selling for around the 140% mark. That's better than the RTX 3080 but still ridiculous pricing for the 3090.

But that's where the good news (if there was any) ends; Nvidia's RTX 3070 and RTX 3060 Ti are probably the worst offenders when it comes to eBay pricing. These are mid-ranged cards, and customers are looking at the price just as much as performance, compared to the 3080 and 3090, where buyers are more concerned about pure performance than general affordability. The 3070 started selling immediately at 180% of its MSRP on eBay and really hasn't gone down since then. The same goes for the RTX 3060 Ti, which sells at 165% of its targeted MSRP.

Overall according to Driscoll, scalpers have made $8,669,418 on RTX 3090s, $10,326,885 on RTX 3080s, $3,321,113 on RTX 3070s and $67,636 from RTX 3060 Tis. 3060 TI sales are low due to it being less than a month old.

AMD RX 6000 Series:​

AMD's RX 6000 series GPUs fare much worse than Nvidia's counterparts, probably due to their scarcity. The RX 6800 XT is being sold on eBay for 200% of its MSRP (on average) in November. As we entered December, however, that decreased to 180%.

At least AMD's RX 6800 does look much better at the moment. Starting at launch, it was selling for 180% of its MSRP, but it quickly shot down to 145% roughly a few days later and has stayed there ever since.

Scalpers managed to make $244,609 on RX 6800 XT's and $233,321 on RX 6800s over the past month. These figures really show how little volume there is with AMD's RDNA2 cards.

Additionally, walmart released data on the number of bots that tried to ping (purchase) the ps5 on the very first launch - 10 MILLION. I'm sure it has gone up dramatically since then, possibly exponentially. so next time you're on newegg, and refresh to see all the add to cart buttons, they've already been picked up by bots before you can click add to cart on a single item once, forget the entire checkout proceedure.

I haven't been able to get a card to save my life. I have a MC here in Orange County but because we are on lockdown I have to wait in line just to go in. I watched guys walking out of the store with 6900 XT's yesterday.
I just wish I had a MC where I live, but they pulled out of this area years ago. I would have to drive like 400+ miles to the nearest MC, and obviously I can't do that.

AMD's Zen 3 CPU's are vapor ware as well, at least the higher end SKU's. I've been on an auto-notify over at B&H since release. All I get is a periodic email from them saying we haven't forgotten about you but we still don't have it.

AMD's Zen 3 CPU's are vapor ware as well, at least the higher end SKU's. I've been on an auto-notify over at B&H since release. All I get is a periodic email from them saying we haven't forgotten about you but we still don't have it.

Yeah the new generation AMD processors are crazy hard to get. Even Microcenter only gets a few dozen each week and they're gone immediately

5600x and 5800x aren't terrible hard to find and buy if you use Discord notifications and have an office job (or other means of buying as soon as a notification comes up, such as from a mobile app).
When I was trying to get a 5600x last month it wasn't easy, but after I scored mine I started noticing much more frequent 5600x notifications. And 5800x drops rained *very* commonly. (I'd hear a ping, and 90% of the time it was a 5800x, multiple times a day)

OK. I give up. :censored: :banghead: I will wait 2-3-4 months to get a 3060 Ti at MSRP, not a penny more. (OK, maybe $5-$10 more ...) If I wanted to pay like 200% for a 3060 Ti, I would get a 3070 or maybe even a 3080 instead, which I don't need because I'm not a gamer.

People have been saying that by the end of the year AMD would have shipped more RX 6000 series cards than Ampere cards but right now it's just not looking like it unless we get a huge flood of cards these next few weeks. At the end of the day I hope we get a huge flood of both so I could finally get one.

2 MCs in Atlanta here

So far ive been able to get a 3070 and 3090. Amd is vapor.

I got my 6900xt from a local person who got a 6800xt online, didnt want the expense of the 6900xt and sold it to me being only like 5 days old, for $1100.

So I agree AMD are made of unobtanium.

OK. I give up. :censored: :banghead: I will wait 2-3-4 months to get a 3060 Ti at MSRP, not a penny more. (OK, maybe $5-$10 more ...) If I wanted to pay like 200% for a 3060 Ti, I would get a 3070 or maybe even a 3080 instead, which I don't need because I'm not a gamer.
I was at microcenter in Marietta GA the other day with about 35 in line but thats very rare. They had more 3060ti come in than people in line. You might have to travel to a town with MC and wait all night but youll get a card.

Dont expect anyone to sell a current gpu for msrp. It makes no sense. I have a 3090 I can return for exactly what I paid and get all my money plus taxes back. Why would I not sell it for a 10% markup? I spent days waiting overnight in the cold, turning up empty, finally to bag a card with it being a 30 mile drive one way multiple times back and forth.

If you can get a 3060ti online for a 10% markup I would jump on it instantly. You have no idea how hard it is to get a gpu right now especially if you havent been physically hunting them down. Even Microcenter is still hit and miss. If you can afford a little over msrp for a card then by all means get one.

No gpus are not easy to get, here is one of the latest reports from the Unofficial Microcenter Discord for Marietta, GA (Atlanta) store:

Screenshot_20201220-013721_Discord.jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully this will mark the moment AMD’s marketing team stops acting like an immature 12 year old. The whole “nana-nana-boo-boo” crap they were pulling with Nvidia’s early stock issues while saying there is no way they will have the same problems just makes them look really stupid right now, which is sad because they actually have a really good product this time around.

Wasn't one of the reasons cited for greater 3080s and 3090s stock availability than 6800s was because GDDR6X wasn't in as short stock as GDDR6? But nVidia seems to be pumping lots of 3060tis and 3070s as well, which use GDDR6. So just what *is* AMD doing? :aconfuse:

I wanted to buy the 6800xt on launch, now I'm just trying to get my hands on a 3080, anyone change their mind after not being able to purchase AMD hardware?

I really wanted to go 6800XT but managed to get a 3080 as well. Super happy, except the control panel UI is still straight up from the late 90s still and the 10GB VRAM worries me a bit but maybe it being GDDR6X will make up for it? Or it won't be a big deal... hopefully. Relying on 10GB makes my anus close

Wasn't one of the reasons cited for greater 3080s and 3090s stock availability than 6800s was because GDDR6X wasn't in as short stock as GDDR6? But nVidia seems to be pumping lots of 3060tis and 3070s as well, which use GDDR6. So just what *is* AMD doing? :aconfuse:

I really wanted to go 6800XT but managed to get a 3080 as well. Super happy, except the control panel UI is still straight up from the late 90s still and the 10GB VRAM worries me a bit but maybe it being GDDR6X will make up for it? Or it won't be a big deal... hopefully. Relying on 10GB makes my anus close

The speed of the Ram does not make up for the amount. If you need 11gb but have 10, you’re going to run into a severe bottleneck. That said, 10GB *should* be plenty for anything under 4K for the useful life of the GPU

I wanted to buy the 6800xt on launch, now I'm just trying to get my hands on a 3080, anyone change their mind after not being able to purchase AMD hardware?
Yeah, same here.
Picked up a 6 core AMD CPU at MC Columbus, 2 hour drive and have been there 3 times since for a GPU without luck.
So my son's Christmas present of a new gaming PC (He's helping build) is looking to rock an old AMD RX460 until the next gen RDNA3 cards debut.
I am usually only off weekend and no way I'll support scalpers or pay more than MSRP.
I will have the 24th off and will try to pick one up in Columbus MC. He wanted the 6800XT but if there is a 3080 I'M BUYING.
If no 3080 or 6800XT, I drive home, relax, and forget about buying a high end card. I get my son a gun for Christmas like I planned already.
I am not going to give in to scalpers, I'll give up PC gaming first.

Congrats on the 3080 find. Been scouring the internet for hours everyday teying to find a card. It will be at least 2 years till the new consile generation. Gets next gen developed games that actually utilize the 16gb, so you'LL probably be ready to upgrade by then.

This is the closest microcenter to me.

Hell, best buy is 45 minutes away and I think the shambling corpse of a Fry's is still about an hour away. Haven't bothered to check on it this year.

Can't afford a 3080 this year anyway so it's all moot. These last few lockdowns killed all of my funds.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201220-115251.png
    Screenshot_20201220-115251.png
    253.2 KB · Views: 0
This is the closest microcenter to me.

So many people across forums seem to think that MC is all over the place. I live up in Washington, and the nearest Microcenter is in Denver, which ends up being about 16.5 hours drive. The California one is a bit further for me.

New GPUs are nearly impossible to buy online. I've been using hotstock and ATR Discord for notifications. I'm fast enough to see the "add to cart" button and can occasionally get a card into the cart. Haven't been able to checkout yet.

So many people across forums seem to think that MC is all over the place. I live up in Washington, and the nearest Microcenter is in Denver, which ends up being about 16.5 hours drive. The California one is a bit further for me.

New GPUs are nearly impossible to buy online. I've been using hotstock and ATR Discord for notifications. I'm fast enough to see the "add to cart" button and can occasionally get a card into the cart. Haven't been able to checkout yet.
I live in Vegas, closet Microcenter is 4 and a half hours away in California. A bit better but still too far to take a quick trip just for a chance at a product, so I wouldn't even bother. Luckily for me, the pandemic has wrecked havoc on my finances so it's not like I would be purchasing any of these brand spanking new GPUs anyways. :(

If it's any consolation, in Chicago area we have 2 Micro Centers - about 30-45 minutes away from each other. Doesn't help when both have lines 20+ long by 5AM already so they're OOS immediately first thing in the morning one way or the other. Theoretically you could score a card 100% if you came daily at 2AM for a week straight. One of those days you're bound to get a shipment-day and be one of the first in line. But you may be 3-5 days camping at 2am to 9am opening when they might not have shipments that day or other days.

So even with 2 Micro Centers it took me coming in near daily for 3-4 weeks and camping several nights before I scored a 3080, and forget about the 6800 series

Some really good replies in this thread thank you for contributing. And it seems we all have the same analysis that Nvidia RTX 3000 series cards are not impossible to find if you put some time and effort in. Like I've said Microcenter gets new shipments every few days of new cards and there could be anywhere from 50 to 100 cards per delivery from Nvidia.

Where the new AMD 6000 series literally is impossible to find I've never seen it or heard about it being in stock anywhere. Instead of Nvidia shipping maybe 100 cards per delivery it seems like I hear AMD might ship 5.

So what was AMD CEO talking about back in October when she made it sound like there would be zero issues on supply and shortages with the new 6800 line compared to Nvidia. But now those cards have been out for 6 weeks from AMD and they are nowhere to be seen nearly impossible to find. Where Nvidia cards are out there.

I understand if AMD is busy manufacturing graphics components for the PS5 and new Xbox, and that's taking up majority of their supplies.

But then why announce this new 6000 series line now then? If they were going to be far worse compared to Nvidia and having pretty much zero supply to sell, maybe AMD should have waited to announce thier video cards until like Feb / March?

I did. If AMD had more stock around launch I would have got one. After seeing that they had supply issues like Nvidia and that their fake MSRP was even more fake than Nvidia's fake MSRP I just went back to trying to get a 3080.

It doesn't help that scalpers are everywhere. I am seeing crazy pricing on local marketplaces. Shoot even here we have several scalpers making sales

It doesn't help that scalpers are everywhere. I am seeing crazy pricing on local marketplaces. Shoot even here we have several scalpers making sales

At first I was bothered by it, but the more I think about it, it takes time to actually buy one whether that be waiting in line, sitting at a computer F5'ing, monitoring a discord feed, etc. I'm not going to spend all day looking for one, so I shouldn't be that bothered by people who are trying to trade their time for money.

I've actually been pretty happy in that a lot of people here are willing to do MSRP trades. I've had several AMD CPUs I've traded for other things.

I had my 3080 up for a straight trade for a 6800XT on Craigslist for 2 weeks. No bites. And literally only one email, asking if I'd sell it to them. I told them I would but that I would have to price gouge them straight up because I don't have a backup card (I didn't name a price). They didn't respond back - so I take it lots of options for nVidia on the market, even though there was only one other listing for a 3080 the entire time on Craigslist.

I also had a brand new boxed 5600x on Craigslist for 3 weeks before it finally sold today. 3 emails total - one said interested but then neverminded, another asked if it was available but never responded back, and one email that finally sold today. I had it for $400 2 weeks and lowered to $380 last week. Same as above, only one other 5600x was listed the entire time as me.

Just pointless anecdotal experience :) I am from Chicago suburbs, so visibility should be up there. Not sure why such low demand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scalper market in my area has finally come back to reality somewhat.

RTX 3080s going for $900 to $1100, which isn't crazy as some of these cards from Newegg or Microcenter list for like $800 + tax + delivery, so that would put them in the $950 range brand new from a retailer. So if a scalper charges $1,000 that's not too bad.

But the AMD 6000 line is nowhere to be found on my local scalper market, just a crap ton of 3070s, 3080s, and 3090s, there's like dozens of each of those cards for sale every day here.

Back