Rocket Lake Benchmarked by Anandtech - Pleae leave your gaming performance at the door!

....Boss music.

tN2IyOTVmMTc5YjUxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_.jpg

I thought this was supposed to be their first wide scale 10nm launch. I mean it's impressive that Intel can keep making gains on 14nm node and that it's competitive - but man the power and heat is getting totally out of control.

They just barely started production for Ice Lake Server last month. The only 10nm chips with decent yields are Tigerlake 4c.

It's going to be early next year before Alder Lake finally launches (like Ice Lake Server is 6 months late, this pretend launch date for desktop 10nm "this fall" is at least a year away.) Intel has got to prioritize Tiger Lake 8-cores for Laptops, to finally be competitive with Zen 3 (already has APU out).

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-R...Duo-15-SE-GX551QS-Laptop-Review.518181.0.html

If you think that shoving 8 more Atom cores onto a die for Alder Lake (16 total) is going ot happen anytime soon, then I want whatever you're smoking! Even worse: the Alder Lake chips are both supposed to be a brand-new architecture from Tiger Lake (so yeah, no way that shit is all lining-up by fall)

Last edited:
That is not a processor. That is a heater that happens to do processing.
I predict many failed motherboards in the future.
I mean, technically all semiconductor circuits are just resistive heaters that happen to be really good at math. But yeah this is absurd. I would not consider Intel at this point unless their prices are way lower than AMD, and even then it's a tough sell when that extra 50-100W of total system power and thermal budget could go into the GPU. Wow it feels like I'm talking about AMD circa 2012...

I mean, technically all semiconductor circuits are just resistive heaters that happen to be really good at math. But yeah this is absurd. I would not consider Intel at this point unless their prices are way lower than AMD, and even then it's a tough sell when that extra 50-100W of total system power and thermal budget could go into the GPU. Wow it feels like I'm talking about AMD circa 2012...

I'd have to see performance at actual tdp defaults, with good ram clocks (on amd and intel). However, it really doesn't matter because I have both my cpu's until ddr5 hits mainstream (10600k/5900x).

Looks like a late-cycle Willamette to me. Hot with middling performance, but the engineers were painted into a corner and had to get something out.
I guess hindsight is 2020 but I bet they could have just mated 10 series with XE graphics core, doubled the cache and added 100mhz to each model. and it would have been better.

It's like the Pentium D all over again. Overclocked Pentium Ds pulling almost 300W and damaging motherboards.

What a pig!!

Every other cpu in that review is better! Glad I didn't pull the trigger on a z590 motherboard. Another generation of waiting, though I would like to tinker with a 5800X. Benching with 3090 would have been more appropriate.

It's like the Pentium D all over again. Overclocked Pentium Ds pulling almost 300W and damaging motherboards.
Seems like the motherboard quality is reflecting that. I just received an Asrock H570 ITX board which is 8 layer glass fabric and says it has an 8 phase power design. Not an expensive board.

aw, memories. I built a sick system right after Smithfield launched with a Pentium D 830, i945 motherboard, 7800GT, 2GB DDR2, and I couldn't game on it without constant crashes because the 500W PSU (which at the time seemed hugely powerful to me) couldn't handle the CPU & GPU together.

aw, memories. I built a sick system right after Smithfield launched with a Pentium D 830, i945 motherboard, 7800GT, 2GB DDR2, and I couldn't game on it without constant crashes because the 500W PSU (which at the time seemed hugely powerful to me) couldn't handle the CPU & GPU together.

Yeah, I stayed well enough away from Netburst because of the heat and power usage. I remember having one customer that insisted on using a Pentium D and I still remember feeling the heat radiating off the board even idle. Used my Athlon 64 until the Core 2 came along.

Seems like Intel is stuck in a quagmire of smokin' hot silicon again.

fun days i remmber smoking a hand full of msi boards with my p4 one time it got so hot while i was sleeping it melted a vrm heatsink left a nice round hole in the motherboard, i had much better luck with my pent d tho i had 2 of them in asus boards and didnt have many issues.

From the article:
This tests for 10-15 seconds and then idles for 10 seconds, and does rapidly go through any system that doesn’t run an infinite turbo. What we see here in this power only graph is the alarming peaks of 290-292 W. Looking at our data, the all-core turbo under AVX-512 is 4.6 GHz, sometimes dipping to 4.5 GHz. Ouch. But that’s not all.

Our temperature graph looks quite drastic. Within a second of running AVX-512 code, we are in the high 90ºC, or in some cases, 100ºC. Our temperatures peak at 104ºC, and here’s where we get into a discussion about thermal hotspots.
Oh I'm sure data centers are going love the enterprise variants of these... :whistle:

121878.png

Kind of expected. It all comes down to price and availability. It is far from great but it puts up enough of a fight to stay relevant.

p.s. Just saw leaked pricing. If that is accurate I have no idea why anyone will buy this over 10th gen that's often on sale nowadays.

Here are all the low resolution and low settings graphs, in order to take the GPU out of the equation and show the differing CPU powers:

121927.png

121935.png

121939.png

121947.png

121955.png

121963.png

121971.png

121979.png

121987.png

121995.png

122003.png

Posting these in case Intel (or the undisclosed MoBo manuf) orders Anand to pull the article, since it's centered around pre-released hardware.

Very happy with my 5950x and zero regrets at this point. It is a monster and easily handles everything I throw at it and runs quite cool. The user experience has been exceptional so far.

I was really hoping Intel would pull off a surprise win, but they are between a rock and a hard place right now. Their foundry side has really failed them in this cycle. I have no doubt they will be back with a vengeance at some point, but that looks like it will take a while. Can't wait to see that happen since competition is good for everyone.

I do feel bad for their foundry engineers. I went to college in the 90's with some people that work there. Good folks and I wish them the best as they work out of their issues.

Yup so far benchmarks show 11 series as a dud downgrade/sidegrade. I just want PCIE 4.0, if I could do that with a 9900K I wouldn't be looking for an "upgrade." Also considering the 5800X now instead because it's available, has PCIE 4 and beats the 11700K in gaming. Hell the 10700K and 9900K beat the 11700K in gaming. Omega.Lul.

Attachments

• 121983.png
    121983.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 121975.png
    121975.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 121967.png
    121967.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 121932.png
    121932.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 121931.png
    121931.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 0
What do you know - backporting an architecture to a different process node doesn't work that well! Happy with my mixture of systems, but I think that means the ITX build I'm about to do will stick on 10th gen - as long as I can find a good ITX board with thunderbolt.

“I had one of those, it wasn’t so bad”
"Oh, well, you'd click the shortcut and while the games loaded, you stepped outside, stretched your legs. You know, back then we had these things called 'conversations' and we'd catch up with neighbors, talk to the mailman, that sort of thing. And boy, in the wintertime, you'd kick off your frosty boots and just point your toes at that humming case and just get right to bein' cozy. People can say what they want about Rocket Lake, but I'll never forget that time in my life as long as I live."

"You know, you'd click the shortcut and while the games loaded, you stepped outside, stretched your legs. You know, back then we had these things called 'conversations' and we'd catch up with neighbors, talk to the mailman, that sort of thing. And boy, in the wintertime, you'd kick off your frosty boots and just point your toes at that humming case and just get right to bein' cozy. People can say what they want about Rocket Lake, but I'll never forget that time in my life as long as I live."
I get real tired hauling wood morning and night to keep the fire going. Could be a viable alternative.

Now I want one for bragging rights..... 10 years from now be all like “I had one of those, it wasn’t so bad”
not gonna lie, that's like 23% of the reason why I possess a Vega 64. :cool: I sidegraded from a 1080 because I thought the GeForce too boring lol
If my computer doesn't demand constant tuning, what am I even doing?

If the production BIOS doesn't boost performance significantly, then people in 10 years will probably be calling this Prescott 2.0
it won't, and people will. And just like with Prescott, Intel will still sell loads of them because it's Intel. At least this time they haven't gone all the way to creating drastic new cooling solutions and form factors to manage the increase in heat outpu- wait nope they have

What do you know - backporting an architecture to a different process node doesn't work that well! Happy with my mixture of systems, but I think that means the ITX build I'm about to do will stick on 10th gen - as long as I can find a good ITX board with thunderbolt.
The two Z490 ITX boards with thunderbolt are from Asrock and MSI
The Asrock is a great board and is available for $200 right now on Amazon.
However, the CPU socket area is a pretty cramped due to the top VRM heatsink being huge and the NVME actually being on a daughter board which is taller than the back panel connectors (look at pics of the board in reviews from various angles). So, I would make sure your cooling solution will fit.

The MSI board is a great board and has a super clean layout. But...its usually quite expensive. I don't think its worth the premium over the current Amazon price for the Asrock-----unless your CPU cooler won't fit the Asrock.

However, if you want to spring for the MSI----I would just wait a couple of weeks for the Z590 version. As it has 2 thunderbolt and a mini-display port for each one, for thunderbolt video passthrough. And you can put 10 series in those boards.
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/MEG-Z590I-UNIFY/Specification

Last edited:
unless your CPU cooler won't fit the Asrock
AIO watercoolers are a bargain these days, assuming you can mount one in the case. And looky here, we have a great example of a CPU that might deserve one.

The two Z490 ITX boards with thunderbolt are from Asrock and MSI
The Asrock is a great board and is available for $200 right now on Amazon.
However, the CPU socket area is a pretty cramped due to the top VRM heatsink being huge and the NVME actually being on a daughter board which is taller than the back panel connectors (look at pics of the board in reviews from various angles). So, I would make sure your cooling solution will fit.

The MSI board is a great board and has a great layout. But...its usually quite expensive. I don't think its worth the premium over the current Amazon price for the Asrock-----unless your CPU cooler won't fit the Asrock.
whooops, edited for a mistake. Gigabyte's z490 board itx doesn't have Thunderbolt. MSI's does.

Back