RMA or no?

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
I just picked up a set of Patriot Viper DDR4 3000 (2x4GB) PE00412-PV48G300C6K memory over black friday for use in a secondary Ryzen system. I'm testing it with a 2700 (non-x) and an ASRock X470 board. Set XMP (1.35V 16-18-18-36) and it fails various memtests (Memtest 86 V8.0 booting from USB drive). If I back it down to 2933mhz with the same timings and voltage, it still fails, but not as many errors. If I back it down to 2800mhz, it passes.

Should I RMA the memory? Play around a little more with voltage, etc.?

The 64GB G-Skill TridentZ in my sig won't run at straight XMP settings without bumping up the voltage to at least 1.45v. Mind you the udimms I use are dual-rank so they may be a little fussier than single rank memory.

In the AMD world take XMP settings with a grain of salt as XMP is an Intel standard and AMD adheres to it more as a suggestion rather than a rule. I would say keep the XMP settings, but give the ddr a little more power like maybe 1.40-1.45v. If that doesn't solve it you still have your RMA solution.

Well, I tried 1.4V and it was a no go. It will run all day at 2800mhz at 1.35V, but at 2866mhz...fail. Voltage doesn't seem to affect it. I didn't push it to 1.45V though.

I don't have an Intel system around to test it with right now. If it's an AMD issue, then I'll keep it. If it's an issue of not being able to run at rated timings/speeds, I'd RMA.

I'm thinking its just a motherboard/AMD issue. I swapped in different memory that I used at DDR4 3000 speeds in my X370 Pro4 motherboard and I used it in the a X470 Gaming K4 and it isn't stable. Running it at DDR4 2800 works fine. Must be a motherboard issue.

bios up to date? if so, try it at 1.45v.
edit: and maybe dont use xmp but manually enter the xmp timing you want. xmp doesn't seem to always work correctly with AMD as it is technically Intels spec.

bios up to date? if so, try it at 1.45v.
edit: and maybe dont use xmp but manually enter the xmp timing you want. xmp doesn't seem to always work correctly with AMD as it is technically Intels spec.

Yeah, that's the first thing I did, flash it to latest bios. I'll try entering timings manually.

Back