RISC-V, the Linux of the chip world, is starting to produce technological breakthroughs

erek

[H]F Junkie
"No matter how successful RISC-V proves, however, the world may never know the full extent of its usage. That is because while ARM and other commercial technology providers make their licensees sign documents, no one using RISC-V has to disclose usage.

RISC-V International asks vendors to voluntarily disclose usage, but does not compel such disclosure.

For that reason, "It'll be hard to see concrete evidence" of the extent of RISC-V usage, said Patterson.

Nevertheless, evidence of technological progress in a part like Micro Magic's suggests to Patterson and others that the impact of RISC-V could ultimately be large.

Recently, Patterson conducted a series of one-on-one interviews with his collaborators, via video, to produce a virtual celebration for the tenth anniversary of RISC-V's creation.

One collaborator offered a striking perspective, Patterson told ZDNet.

"In five or ten years, RISC-V could be the most important instruction set" in the world, Patterson recalled the individual saying.

"On one hand, it sounds crazy," he said, "but it's not impossible.""

https://www.zdnet.com/article/risc-...rting-to-produce-technological-breakthroughs/

As I’ve said many times with Arm and Apple M1: I’m very hopeful and excited to see a broadening of the CPU market, show me the benchmarks. The real world benchmarks.

As I’ve said many times with Arm and Apple M1: I’m very hopeful and excited to see a broadening of the CPU market, show me the benchmarks. The real world benchmarks.
Well there aren’t many the chip exists in a lab, as from what I can tell a single core variant added to a modified SBC.

One collaborator offered a striking perspective, Patterson told ZDNet.

"In five or ten years, RISC-V could be the most important instruction set" in the world, Patterson recalled the individual saying.
Yea, it'll be the chip that powers most routers.

Well there aren’t many the chip exists in a lab, as from what I can tell a single core variant added to a modified SBC.
Well, it's 1w and hits 5GHz... even if it's just one core, scale that up to 8 cores and maybe a bit more interconnecting and you've got a 10w 5GHZ chip :). This is much more interesting to me than the Apple M1. Hopefully they release some real #'s to go by, but it's a good sign that they were able to clock that high without anything special.

Well, it's 1w and hits 5GHz... even if it's just one core, scale that up to 8 cores and maybe a bit more interconnecting and you've got a 10w 5GHZ chip :). This is much more interesting to me than the Apple M1. Hopefully they release some real #'s to go by, but it's a good sign that they were able to clock that high without anything special.
I would not be impressed with 5Ghz unless I saw the performance on the chip. Remember that Netburst was designed to clock higher thanks to having greater number of stages in the pipeline. Who knows what they did to achieve 5Ghz.

Clock speed is largely irrelevant without taking IPC and architectural considerations into account, but I guess the marketing departments would have you think otherwise :).

5th thread in a year and obligatory pic:
still nothing out for consumers?

1606868554550.png

Back